Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lyrica weight gain and loss...

Aviatrix36440Aviatrix36440 Posts: 5,904
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Diet, Nutrition, Weight Loss
Hi ya'll,

Like many, I was put on Lyrica back last November or December at 300mgs a day (150mg 2x). The medication (for me) did wonders on taking my nerve pain down from a solid 8+ to between 2 - 6 ( I say that depending on what area of my body). An improvement that gave me my day to day life back. Night and day for sure!!!

Okay, with that said. I gained in the neighborhood of 45+ pounds! I'm sure some of that was thanks to my reduced activity as well after surgery. Anyway, to the good news, I officially now lost 20 of those pounds!!! Eating a bit more healthy, a bit more exercise now. I gained it over months and months, but looks like between my diet, exercise and maybe my metabolism finally caught up? The weight is slowly coming off. I'm not into fad or yo-yo diets. I just wanted to share that the weight (with patience) can and does come off!! Thanks for listening. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.

• Good for you Brenda! =D>

You are so right about eating healthy and just being more active really makes a difference. You don't need to be on these crazy diets if you stick to the above.

When do you go on your trip?

• Lisa,

Thanks much! :) I still feel like a chubby blob, but the pant sizes are coming down! Whoohoo!

Less than 24 hours - game plan - to pull out of the driveway around 0800 tomorrow!! Oh if my kiddies only knew! (G)

• hi! :H that is great news! congratulations! i gained 30 pounds from the Lyrica and it took me about a year to take it off.. but it does come off thank goodness!! keep up the good work! good luck! Jenny :)
  • Thanks very much Jenny! :) I guess in my brain it meant more when the weight was seen on my GP's scale, as hers it to the gnat's a$$ as they say! 25 more pounds and I will be a very happy camper! :) Congrats to you as well!!! :)

• Good for you. I gained 45lbs on Lyrica also and dropped it after stopping Lyrica. I'm sure it must be difficult to lose weight while you're still on it. It feels so good to lose the weight. I have a wardrobe of 2X or XXL in my closet. I really need to donate those clothes. Good luck and glad you're feeling better with the Lyrica and the weight loss. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks very much Charry!! :) Congrats to you as well! I know there are other meds out there, but since I have seen the difference to be so dramatic for me, I am very leery to try anything different - even if to lose the weight faster. You know, it's funny, until this last go around, I've never been heavier than 118! (G) Baby steps, baby steps...did I mention...baby steps! 8>

• Brenda,

I am happy to hear the thrill in your voice as the weight is coming off and the medication is working to reduce your nerve pain, this is a win win for you, well done!

I recently started gabapentin and am worried about weight gain. I am taking a low dose but its not helping as much as I would like it too so I am sure I will need to increase it and maybe the odds of weight gain will increase too but I will try to fevelop your good attitude and habits and hopefully I will be ok.

Keep up the good work, congrats :-)

• Thanks very much! For the first few months I ignored (sort of) the weight gain since the pain was so well controlled. I know some of it was my reduction in exercise after the surgery, but (to me) the majority was from the Lyrica. I am odd though too that my appetite isn't very good. I have to "make" me eat of all things! Told ya, weird! (G) *Most* seem to get ravenous appetites!

Even though in the holiday season, still being conscious of what I am eating. :) I will keep my fingers crossed that you don't gain appreciable weight!! Thanks again Sandra. *HUGZ*

• =D> =D> =D>

So excited for you! Everytime I look at my belly and think of Dr. Oz showing what that fat looks like on his show, I cringe! I gained 20 pounds over the last year and a half. I've been walking 3 miles about 4 times a week and that has toned me up but the blasted belly fat is tough. Oh, I started my weight gain when I started the Lyrica also. But, as you said, it's worth it for the nerve pain relief.

A good friend and I decided yesterday to start weight watchers at the first of the year -- going for the buddy program (LOL!) -- I know the extra weight on my middle is not good for my lumbar area so another reason to get with the program.

For me it's the sweets, carbs and stress eating that I have to overcome.

Well congrats again and I hope to be able to post weight loss in the very near future.

• Thanks much! I love watching "The Doctors" and a short time ago, they too had a session on thigh and belly fat, and ewww that crap looked so nasty! I too looked at Weight Watchers, but the amount of food they say to eat a day - is way over what I eat now! (G) I know it is dependent on "what" foods we eat as to how our bodies burns it, but it still looked like way too much for me.

For sure let us know how it works for ya! And having a buddy system *I* think is the better way to do it. Fingers crossed for ya woman!! *HUG*

• I've just realised this is what i'm on. In the Uk it is Pregablin, an epilepsy drug is that right? I thought I'd put on weight but just put it down to being inactive and also eating more because i'm drowsy all the time.
    Have you also found that it slows your speech at the full dose? I had to come down to the lower dose and increase the painkillers instead.
  • Howdy Mer, and Welcome to Spine Health!!

I feel that my weight gain was a mix of Lyrica, and reduced physical activity for me. I gained in the neighborhood of 45lbs, and have since dropped 20lbs, so getting there.

The first week I was on it (I was started right out of the box at 150mg 2x a day), I was drowsy and tired, but beyond the weight gain, no speech problems or slurring. I have had times where "little words" won't come to mind, but fortunately, that isn't often. Lyrica has been a God-send for me. Prior to being put on it, the pain was such that I could barely function.

I would offer this suggestion, give it a week or so, and if your still feeling weird from it, let your doctor know, and he/she may adjust it to a level that works for you. I hope you find relief!! :)

Again too, Welcome aboard!!!

• Cocobear227CCocobear227 Posts: 1
    edited 08/14/2015 - 11:23 AM
    Hi Charry,
    I've been on the lyrica for over a year. It really helps with my pain but I'm super depressed about gaining 50 pounds since I've been on it. I was wondering how long it took you to start losing weight after you stopped the lyrica? Thanks,

Please click on link for helpful information
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Liz -spine-health moderator

• whiteluhla321wwhiteluhla321 North CarolinaPosts: 7
    I had scoliosis surgery a year ago. And yes I am not the age that I present to this account because I'm just looking for support for this nerve pain. So pleaseptic don't report me. I did take Lyrica for a while and it didn't effect me then my surgeon wanted to stop it to see how my pain would be. It was terrible, they tried narcotics longer than they were supposed to after my surgery and that didn't even help. So they tried neurotin. The first time it worked incredibly,  until my mood problems sprung up. So they stopped that and put me back on the lyrica. It would relieve my pain for a few hours but that's it. So they upped the dose to 150mg and I gained 25 pounds. Went up 4 pants sizes and 1 cup size in bras and got huge stretch marks that are a darker color than my scar. They put me back on neurotin and put me on antidepressants along with it. I also have acid reflux, depression, allergies, migraines, tension headaches, adhd, sever disease, tendinitis, I grind my teeth, and I have tmj problems. The sever disease is in my heels. It is a burning and irritating feeling and it makes it difficult to walk. Because of the nerve pain I missed a lot of school. So I was at home walking barefooted with no support on my feet and this is what causes this disease. The TMJ problems is in my jaw. It's pretty much just a popping of the jaw. They have me on two medications for my acid reflux. They have me on Prevacid and Zantac. They also have me on two medications for my allergies. Flonase and Allegra. They have me on Lexapro for my depression and mood problems. They just put me on Topamax for my migraines. But they used to have me on amitryptiline. They don't currently have me on anything forelated my tension headaches but they used to have me on Zanaflex. And I do take an adhd pill. And I haven't got a mouth guard to sleep in yet. I just wanted to share my problems with other people besides my family. Even though my family understands considering my grandmother has had 15 surgeries. I feel that sometimes her emotions are clouding her judgement and she won't be real with me. 
  • whiteluhla321wwhiteluhla321 North CarolinaPosts: 7
    I had scoliosis surgery and it left me with nerve pain and so they put me on Lyrica and I gained 25 pounds and I went 4 pant sizes and 1 cup size in bras. So they put me on neurotin. It isn't working well because it gives me mood problems. They put  me on antidepressants, acid reflux pills, migraine pills, even allergy pills. They've discovered that I grind my teeth and I have a tmj problem. Which is a problem with the jaw and it makes my headaches worse. So the Topamax isn't working. Any suggestions?
This discussion has been closed.