Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Upcoming Alif Surgery Monday Dec.28th

PoteauPetsPPoteauPets Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
The Surgical nurse called today to give me the date of my upcoming ALIF surgery. The Surgery is scheduled for Monday Dec. 27th. I have to be at the hospital at 5:30 a.m. I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer because I don't see the Doctor again until Dec.6th

What is the normal hospital stay for ALIF Procedure ? My surgery is on a Monday, how soon can I expect to come home ?

My hospital is located in Tulsa,OK and will be a TWO HOUR ride home when I am released. Are there any preparations I can make for the ride home ?
Thanks in Advance

Dana
advertisement

Comments

• Accidently typed the wrong date in my original post.
    The date is Monday Dec. 27th
  • My doctors assured me they were used to dealing with patients that needed to travel a ways to get home. They said when I was ready for discharge I would be able to sit in a car and they would load me up with meds. They did suggest I make the trip in 2 days (400 miles in total)and we did. I was fine. I was not in pain. I could navigate (with a walker) enough to get in and out of a car and a motel. I slept well. Amazing, when I look back on this. (I had four level lumbar fusion with lots of instrumentation-cages, discs, rods, screws.)
  • ALIF L4/L5

My surgery clinic stay was only one day then home.The ride home was no problem,but it was only 40 minutes.
  • I had a 2 level PLIF in Dec 2008. It was 4 hours from home, and I was there for 5 days. We left in a snowstorm, not good, but stopped every hour and got out and walked and was ok. Just have a blanket and pillows to make it comfortable for you. My Dr gave me a good pain shot before I left also.
  • I had an ALIF last year and it was successful.

I was in hospital for 5 days.

I only had a 15 minute drive to home, but was very nauseated. They gave me a Stemetil injection just before I left the hospital.

I hope your surgery goes well for you next month and if you haven't already, do have a look at the Post-Op Must Haves at the top of the page.

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • i have sent you a private message with the information i was given when i go for my ALIF
  • I am having this procedure on the 13th and would also like to hear from others who have had it done. My back is so minimal that I would not be having any surgery for that problem, but my legs have been an issue for a year and a half. The NS tells me that raising the space where my herniated disk is will open up the nerve root canals and solve the issue of not being able to walk.

My major concern is whether the nerve has been permanently damaged from being compressed so long. I have seen other posts that refer to "chronic nerve damage" and wonder how that is determined? The EMG I had a year ago showed nerve problems - but how do you know if that is chronic damage or not?

I have chosen a NS who is very experienced, but he is also very busy and I will not be seeing him again before the surgery date to ask him anymore questions so I appreciate everyone on here!
  • I had ALIF on L5/S1 in 2008. I was only in the hospital overnight, and had a two hour drive home.
    I took a pillow and reclined the seat and slep most of the trip. The discharge nurse gave me two 10 mg. Percocet before I left the hospital.
  • on Aug 24th (Tue 5:30 am, case like you - forget about sleeping the night b4!). I spent 4 nights in hospital, was released Saturday evening.

My ride was only about 25 minutes and I was pretty well medicated and actually don't even remember the specific car ride ....

Best of luck with your surgery and I hope it brings you relief!

Virginia
  • I had ALIF l4-l5 nov 1 st 2010 and i was in hopsital 4 days!...good luck just make sure you walk afterwords
  • Since this is a winter procedure, make sure you are wrapped up real well in blankets before they wheel you out to the car you're riding home in. Shivering is not good after an ALIF.

I had a 360 ALIF L4-S1 fusion and was in the hospital four days.

Good luck.
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • I went in for my ALIF on the 13th and woke up 6 hours later after the ALIF was aborted due to a risk from the veins in the area and a posterior approach was used instead. Apparently there were problems with the rear approach too and the doctor said it was a very difficult procedure but he is optimistic that he got it done.

I was in very serious pain and spend 5 days in the hospital but am feeling better a little more and more each day.

I had not been hospitalized in a very long time and I was very disappointed with the care from the Hospital staff - my husband spend nearly 24 hours a day with me because otherwise they would not bring my meds, help me up or get me water. I strongly recommend that anyone undergoing major surgery make sure they have strong family advocates available to look out for them in the hospital.
  • I stayed 3 days for mine; and was blessed with a short ride home. My last procedure involved a 3.5 hour plane ride home - I medicated myself well to say the least.
    For a long car trip, I would suggest trying to bring as many pillows as you can, and see if you can lay flat with knees bent across the back seat - I know its not the safest thing if there is an accident - maybe a body pilllow beside you between you & the front seats. If there is a way you can get your hands on a luxury vehicle - I can tell you there is a huge difference from a Lexus, BMW, Infinity, Mercedes as far as smoothness and less bumps. If you have a friend who will loan one, or even worthwhile to rent for a day, IMHO it makes a huge difference.
  • If you decided to go through with the surgery today!! I will send up some good thoughts for you and a especially for a smooth recovery!
    Patti
  • wanted to wish you all the best today as you have your surgery. Please update us when you can. Soon you will be on the other side.
    >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
advertisement