Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

FDA approved Cymbalta for chronic low back pain..

charryccharry Posts: 5,657
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Pain Medications
FDA approved Cymbalta on Nov. 4, 2010 for the management of chronic musculoskeletal pain, including chronic osteoarthritis pain and chronic low back pain.
More information can be found at Cymbalta's website. Don't think I could post a link?
DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN

• Thanks for posting about the Cymbalta Charry.
    Cymbalta is very expencive but there is a foundation that will help with your co-pay.
    I do not think I am allowed to post it here but it is a great Foundation and you can apply online. They send you a check within a couple of days after reciveing your application that you and your Doctor fill out.
    If anyone would want to PM me I will be happy to tell you about it.
    It will help pay for any meds your Doctor has you on.
    Cheers :H
    Patsy W
  • Yep, my copay (and I have awesome prescription insurance) is $56!

All of my other copays are $10!

But I'm not giving it up.
  • Hi all,

Also Check out the latest research on the dosages of cymbalta. I am not able to send the link since apparently links are against the rules. Be careful if you are taking over 60mgs or ask your doctor about the latest dosage recommendations.
  • I was using 120mgs of cymbalta per day and had no issues on it. Was using 2 x 60mgs a per day. It took a long time to jump to that dose, but it had it's benefits. Now that I have a known bladder issue doc says can't prescribe it any longer even though the bladder issue is a nerve problem coming off the spine.
  • I just saw my doctor last week and am still on 120 mg.

Links aren't against the rules, just have to make sure the links are "legal."

I haven't read the studies on musculoskeletal pain- my psychiatrist prescribes my cymbalta, and he says that the dosages over 60mg are primarly effective for that (something about dosages over 60 affecting mostly norepinephrine reuptake).

It will be interesting if, as it is used more for pain, the dosage disclaimers change- they only used a couple of studies for the FDA approval, compared to many that are out there, so doctors are making their decisions based on a wider range of data.

Previously, that was an "off label use."

• I had tried it for a while and couldn't tolerate it. It gave me blinding headaches. Weird because I don't get headaches. Since it is advertised for chronic pain and depression, and I DO have chronic pain, but don't have depression (although I had been on Wellbutrin in the past to stop smoking - which didn't work! - but I liked the way I felt on Wellbutrin), I thought Cymbalta would be a godsend for me. But, no dice.
  • :( Yep, it's certainly not going to work for everyone.
  • I see my doc this Friday. When I saw him in October I specifically asked about Cymbalta but he said he wouldn't advise it because it wasn't approved for lower back pain. Your post was so timely for me.