Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

screw sticking out

bergbberg Posts: 140
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:48 AM in Chronic Pain
My new Doctor number 4 confirmed what I thought.I had an alif done 10-6-09 no rods just cage and two screws,one of the screws went all the way through the L5 vertibrae and is sticking out into the nerve canal,maybe this is what has been causing me some of my problems.Ill find out on thursday after ct/myelogram.Anyway has anyone else had this happen and how did they correct it since they can't go in through the front again?
advertisement

Comments

• Hello Berg...I dont have any knowledge with this and I am very sorry this happened to you!!

Please let us know what they say and what can be done!!

• wow! And not a good wow :(

Please let us know what they find and how they plan to deal with it.

I feel really bad for you......
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Hi berg,

Sorry to hear of this. It must be fairly unusual since this is the first time I've heard of it on the forum. If the screw is in the foramina of the nerve root, I would think they could go in through the back to remove it, but I'm just guessing.

Let us know what your CT/myelogram show and what the doctor is recommending. Wishing you the best! :)
    Linda

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    My hardware was at the cervical part of the spine but was backing out against my esophagus and 2 screws shattered. The screws and plate had to come out due to the risk of puncturing my esophagus. My surgeon did not want to go through the front again due to all the scar tissue so he went in through the side of my neck ( about the area your ear lobes are). Although this was not the lower back as yours is Im sure there is a way for it to be done.
    Susan

• How did you get on at your appointment on Thursday?
    Do they have a plan to deal with this?
  • i am not surprised to be honest with you .as you were only in hospital for one day ..i am surprised that they had time to finish the operation .! just kidding !! and yes it can happen they will just brig you in and open you up a little and tighten the screw
    i talked to my surgeon and he said that there is no way that he or any of his fellow surgeons could have donean ALIF and discharged you in a day or even 2 days ?? he was confused
    t
  • straker,you seem to have a bit of an agressive nature about you.Why do you find it so hard to believe that I was in and out of surgery clinic in 24 hours? I have the paperwork to prove it if thats what it takes.I could of stayed anouther day if I wanted I choose not to.The way I see it I could be in pain there or at home.As far as the screw your confused it's not loose it's in to far,it's sticking through the vertibrae.Also the length of my stay does not reflect the quality of care I recieved.

To all others thank you and I will let you know the outcome on thuursday.

• Hi again berg,
    I'll be interested to hear how you get on next Thursday. :-)
    What symptoms have you been getting that caused them to look at your fusion?

On my x-rays, it looks like one of the screws goes past the edge of my vertebra as if it is too long.
    The image is not very clear, and there is a ghosting, so it is difficult to be sure.

The surgeon didn't say anything about it and I only saw the picture after the last time that I saw him, so haven't had a chance to ask him. He is a man of very few words and did not tell me that he started removing the lamina at the wrong level, so I doubt that he would tell me if there was a problem.

I am having some nerve symptoms, but not terrible pain. I do have a small spinal canal, so possibly small vertebrae too. Perhaps that is why the screws look too long.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on :-)

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.