Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Treatment Options

LasVegasLLasVegas Posts: 95
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Pain mgmt dr says more facet injections is recommended for C-3--C5 or I could try Radio Frequency Ablasion.

Has anybody here had the Radio Frequency Ablasion treatment?

If so, please share your experience of how it was/not helpful, etc. Thanks.

• If you use the search box at the top of the page, you will find that there are numerous discussions on RFA both for cervical and lumbar issues.

• Hi LV;

I've had RFAs for levels 4-6 on both sides of my neck. The left was done in Apr and the right at the end of Jun.

The Left side was great, it really helped with the pain. It's come back now, but still not as bad. The Right was pure heck, and I'm still having problems from it. Right after, my skin went completely red, from halfway up my skull, down to my shoulder blade, and it was so painful and itchy. I couldn't lay on that side, as the pressure caused so much pain. The pm doc said it was neuralgia, and what they've been finding lately is that this is caused by the frequency being set too high. The whole area was completely numb to the touch, but so painful if any pressure is put on it. The area has decreased now, it's maybe the size of an apple, but still numb, I can't feel anything touching it, unless there's pressure, then it hurts like crazy.

As for the procedure itself, I found it very similar to the facet joint injections. I won't lie, it hurts, especially if they hit a nerve, just remember to try to relax, and if you practice deep breathing exercises and meditation, that helped me. I actually fell asleep at one point, woke myself up with a little snore, lol. They got a good chuckle.

So I had a good and a bad experience. I would have it done again on my left side, not so sure if I want to try it again on the right.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Interesting about the frequency too high, thanks for sharing