Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

So Aggravated

Tami123TTami123 Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Anyone else have this problem? My Dr has been telling me for 8 years I need a spinal fusion. I have avoided it this long. I go to the Dr. When I have flare ups and I am in the middle of one now, I think... I want to know if anyone has this problem, Most of you talk about so much pain and that is not me. I have very little pain. just kinda like annoying aches and heaviness feelings and some numbness not all the time tho. When this flare up started I was having numb tingling in my private area as soon as I stood up it would start. Boy that was scaring me. That part has went away, that was about 2 months ago. This is what I am dealing with now. I can do all my normal daily activities around the house, my leg feel heavy at times and burning in back of my thigh toes feel numb (sometime) Here is what is driving me crazy... when I go out like shopping or even to the store. I start to limp I mean a bad limp . it feels like I have a thick soled shoe on my left foot and no shoe on my right, the more I walk around the heavier my legs feel and the more burning I feel... I will have to lay down awhile to make this ease off then I can go again. this is making me so frustrated cause I don’t have the bad pain and I can do stuff around the house but I cant walk far without a limp and the limp is really bad. Could it be something else besides my back??
I know I cant go on without being able to walk right, but on the other hand I am thinking can this be something else from another part of my body? like my hip, my knees.. Shouldn’t I be in a lot of pain b4 I have the big surgery?
I am just really aggravated. I can do lots of things I can clean I can bend, twist. but I cant walk far with out a major limp. This is driving me crazy..
I had steroid injections in the past and they didn’t work what always worked was time,time to heal. but this flare up has been a little different from the past ones. I have one injection with this flare up never helped in the least bit
The numbness that I had in my private area went away. not sure if it was from resting or if it was from the shots and steroids my reg Dr. gave me before he sent me to my surgeon again. but the limp is bad. anyone else have this problem??
Dr. is going to let me have one more of the injections he said he didn’t think the first one would do any good and he was right but I am again seeing if TIME is going to get me through this flare up or am I gonna have to do the fusion..I just need to see if anyone is having bad limping problems and still can do other normal activities and with out a lot of pain.
lumbar narrowing
4 balging disc
bone spure
spondylolthisis frade 1

• I had similar symptoms prior to my fusion but also had plenty of pain. But my problems were more severe than what you have listed.

My legs would get heavy and numb if I walked around the grocery store too long. My surgeon told me it was from my severe stenosis. That symptom has been relieved with surgery.

• I have severe stenosis. To the point that in the middle of sex - things go offline - in seconds.

What I am thankful for - is that I can still walk, as once I am in a wheelchair - I will consider surgery, and so will my Dr, as all of my issues are degenerative, since I was 20 or so.

Now - being 20 - and having this was scary, being 49 - I've seen it all - broken a few more things. Guess what - I know that I'll live through it.

I have varying degrees of pain. From - not to bad, to I have to get to the ER and have them hit me with not the OTC stuff.

I have fallen asleep in a chair - and woken up in the morning to an acute episode that took all of my meds and nerve meds and a visit to the ER, just to get through the first 24 hours. I was off work for 2 weeks, and on crutches - just so I could drop in for a day. [Yes - I m stubborn - stupid too - at times]

Take Care!
  • Hi Tami,

Welcome to the Spine-Health support forum!

I just had 2-level lumbar fusion six weeks ago and I was not in severe pain all the time before deciding on the surgery. I had nerve pain and numbness in one leg that was significantly worse than it had been previously and was never going to get better, but I wouldn't consider myself in severe pain. I can remember asking the same question--shouldn't I be in severe pain before going through a fusion? I asked that question over and over and over, right up to the surgery, and I kept answering it over and over--YES--because:

1) My L5 nerve root was being pinched by bones which were out of position due to degenerative scoliosis

2) There was no possibility of things ever getting better, only worse

3) The nerve being affected would become permanently injured if I didn't get the pressure off of it soon;

My level of pain was immaterial to my decision to have surgery. It was needed, I went forward with it, and I have a strong inner sense that this surgery was a very good thing for my back! Not to mention the fact that I'm now off of all pain medications, with the exception of Lyrica which I take for residual nerve pain, which I am expecting to resolve over time.

You are the only one who can make the decision to have surgery and you need to be confirmed in your mind that it is the right thing to do before going into it. You need to sort through everything and come to the right decision for you. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Hello again and thanks for the replys

I am still not sure if I should go through with this big sugery, I put it off another month just hoping this will go away. I do fine around the house I am not in pain at all I get some numbness if I stand in one spot for long or I sit one way I have to change my positions once in awhile. but if I go walking I look like I am crippled I will be able to get inside a store and then it starts I bet I cant walk 300 feet and I am limping it feels like my left shoes has a 2 inch sole one it and I am barefoot on the other one, the other day when I went out it felt almost like my leg was twisting like it had a mind of its own. now sitting will ease should I say the pressure or the heavyness. but my limp is going to me there for the rest of the day, and this last big walk left me limping the whole next day too. any one ealse dealing with this. I hear of so much pain. but what little I have I can deal with it.
    Dr. told me that after surgery I may have the pain that I am not feeling now. he said he dont know if he can fix the limp. he said we wont know till I start healing, he is going to go in through the front and the back to put a cage in and I clean up around the verdabra. I ask him could this be something ealse going on, maybe with me ankel or ma knee, hip? He said no it was sever spimel stenosis with a spondylothisis. I ask him the grade he said 1. that is not a bad one some ppl have them and dont even know it. I cant do my j0b cause I work as a housekeeper at a hospital and there is lots and lots of walking. heck I wouldnt even be able to make it to the floor I am going to clean, but I bet I could clean, cause I can bend and all. anybody else out there have this going on?? and would you all have that big of a surgery without the pain??? I mean wonder if this can get better?