Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

nurseaannurseaa Posts: 47
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello everyone! i have read a few posts where people have spoken about getting a mylegram and finding answers that an mri didnt find. anyone who has had one please reply and tell me all about it. Did it hurt? what did they do exactly? what kind of restrictions afterward? And did they find the source of your pain or problem with it? i am desperate and i am probably going to have one soon due to my pain still being relentless.Thanks in advance for any reply.

• A myelogram is able to see exactly which nerve levels may be affected. Dye is injected into your epidural space after your back is numbed up; I didn't feel much pain, just a bit of pressure. This is done under a fluoroscope, which is a real-time, live x-ray picture. The doctor is able to see how fast the dye flows around the nerve roots. In cases where the dye is slowed down, or blocked altogether, they are able to pinpoint areas of concern for your doctor/surgeon.

They usually recommend that you stay in bed for about 24 hours after the procedure. This is because the injection site might leak a bit of spinal fluid, although in my experience that is a fairly rare occurence. You might notice a headache after the procedure; again, this is rare, and is alleviated by laying down again. If the headache becomes severe, they do what is called a blood patch, which is the injection of a bit of your own blood into the epidural space, which stops the leak.

I've had several of them in the course of a few years, and I've never had a problem, or really any great discomfort.

Try not to worry about the procedure, if you can. It's a great tool for the surgeon to see which levels are really being affected by your condition.

Best of luck to you!
  • Thank u soo much for your reply, it makes me feel much better about it. I feel this is my last resort to figure out what is goin on. So thanks again and I hope u are doing good with your ailments.
  • I also had a myelogram because the mri did not suuport all of my pain and complaints. I was terrified to have this done also. It was a piece of cake,done quickly with little discomfort. They took me to CT scan after that and the problem was pinpointed on the myelogram. It showed how serious my problem was even though the MRI did not. I did have hardware from previous surgery. I did get a bad headache but it didn't last long. They did make me spend the night in the hospital but that was standard procedure for that hospital.
    I worried myself terribly about a myelogram and it was nothing I thought it would be. Good luck
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    hi nurseaa,

babybubbles couldn't have explained it better. I had a myelogram this past
    summer and without any difficulties or pain. It definitely gives Dr's a good picture of what is going on within the spine. Hopefully this procedure will
    help alleviate any questions you may have and get you back on track to the pain relief you deserve.
    Take care,
  • Thats good to hear, if you dont mind me askin what did they find that the MRI didnt?I also have hardware in my neck. I hope you are well now.
  • Thanks Ranger,I hope this will give me some answers i have been waiting on. I send well wishes to you also!!!
  • The ct myelogram showed how severe the cord compression was(less than 8 mm)at C5 C6, It also showed the osteiphytes that were present. THey just couldnt see well enough on the mri because of the hardware. Ihave read that a myelogram is the gold standard.
  • I had one in January of this year and the test itself is really not that bad.

Its a long day as you have to spen hours in bed afterwards drinking lots of ceffeine, but otherwise there was no pain. My doctor did see a few things not shown on the MRI which was helpful. I did not get the spinal headache that some people do, keep up the caffeine :-)

I had side effects that are very rare, I had pain in my legs afterwards. I had gone back to work the following day and my nerves in my legs were irritated from the dye and I ended up having to take prednisone but I haven't found anyone else who has had a similar side effect as me in that department so II wouldn't worry about that atll.

I believe you will be just fine, just make sure you get plenty of rest and follow doctors orders, let us know how you get on.

Good luck to you,
  • thanks!! ill let you know how it goes.
  • I had one, and I have no idea why, but mine was very painful for me. It was painful in the areas in which I have disc problems...almost like I've heard about a discogram...but mine was a myelogram CT. The pain didn't last a long time,..just a few seconds as the dye passed thru the painful areas, Good luck on yours.
  • hey just read ur post, how long did ur pain last and did they have any problems gettin the needle engaged