Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone know how long recovery is for minimal invasive TLIF surgery?

iowarobiniiowarobin Posts: 1,268
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I was wondering if anyone can tell me details about the minimal invasive fusion recovery is like? How long is hospital stay? I had PLIF 2 level last time, and now I am suppose to have a 2 level min invasive fusion Dec 13 and dont know what to expect. Any help on this?

• Gosh, how are you? How are your grandchildren? Sorry to hear you are having another fusion. Is it the same levels or new levels? I know in the past you were having problems with your fusion. I can't really answer your question but I've read some posts say that it requires the same restrictions/time and others say different but my take is it is depending on how many issues you have with nerves, etc. and how well your body heals and what is involved once the dr gets inside, etc. Did your dr. give you a general idea? Lots of questions, sorry. I might have missed where you mentioned this before but this is the first time I've seen you around for awhile. I'm not much help at all, am I? I hope someone comes along with a better answers for you!!

• I had minimally invasive plif for 2 level. My understanding is that the time in the hospital is about the same. I do know that I was up and around after the hospital much faster than my other friends that hadn't had minimally invasive. It doesn't change the fusion or restictions, just the pain level and the healing rate for the soft tissues. I had basically no pain after 1 week. within a month I was walking 3 miles compared to another friend who is barely walking 8 blocks after a month. How much of this is just variation among people? I don't know.
    good luck.
  • Robin,

I just had an MI TILF at L5/S1 on Tuesday. I'm not really up for typing alot right now, but will keep you posted with some of my experiences in the days to come. Would love to give you more info now, but the pain killers make it a little hard to foucus on what I'm wrighting. I will say I have been pleasntly suprised, I thought my pain levels would be worse and my mobility greatly restricted. In fact I'm taking up to three walks a day and they make me feel really good. Just getting the muscle moving and the fresh air. makes me feel halfway normal.

P.S. I was in the hospital for two nights
  • Not from experience but when I was considering it as an alternative, my surgeon said that the fusion restrictions are still the same. He said the Minimally invasive part of the fusion is that he wouldn't cut through muscle tissues the same so that part of the heeling would be faster BUT that it's still the same major surgery as a regular TLIF...still rods/screws so he told me to expect the same recovery time.

The MI TLIF comes with some benefits...I think you won't be as sore from muscle perspective and there is reduced chance of blood loss b/c the incision is smaller.

Good Luck.
  • Good luck! Where are they doing the incision?
  • Iowarobin,

I had a one level (L5/S1) MI TLIF done two weeks ago. I was in the hospital two nights and they had me out of bed walking unassisted the next day. The pain has been quite manageable with pain killers and I’m feeling stronger every day, no brace either. For the last week I’ve been walking about a mile a day with ease. I’m most sore in the morning when I get out of bed, but once I’m up and moving around I feel pretty good.

I started going back to work yesterday, I’m having my wife drive me since I’m still on the pain killers, but it has been going quite well. I can sit for about 45 min. before I need to get up and walk around a little.

Since you have had a previous lumbar surgery and are having two levels done I can’t say how your recovery will be. But I’m very pleased with how mine has gone, and am very happy I decided to go MI versus open surgery. The surgeon that did my ACDF wanted to do an open PLIF, but I switched doctors and got the MI TLIF. Good Luck!