Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Compounded hydrocodone

t9crushedtt9crushed Posts: 119
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:48 AM in Pain Medications
Hey all,

I have been prescribed compounded hydrocodone for a while to avoid the tylenol and this week the pharmacy told my doc they would be be mixing it slightly differently. Now the bottle says hydrocodone bitartrate SA, with the SA being the new part. Just curious about what SA is if anyone knows. Tried googling but couldn't find anything
advertisement

Comments

• Could you ask your pharmacist? I looked as deeply as I could and couldn't find anything.

eta: I found something! SA is used to mean "sustained action." Could that be it? Is it compounded to be long-acting?
  • Now I'm really confused! After you posted I did find that they use the letters SA for sustained action but I can't find anything for Hydro SA.

My doc said they were just going to formulate it differently and it seemed he didn't know exactly what the difference was. Seems like the pharmacy wouldn't just make that change without telling him and it didn't sound like they asked him, just that they were making the change. The script didn't have any changes about how or when I should take them, still every 4 hours as needed.

So far I don't see any difference, good or bad, but it's only been a day and a half.