Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Finally feeling validated!!

mrich1959mmrich1959 Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
So glad to come across this site. I had an anterior fusion at c4,c5,c6 in June of 2008. Worked briefly then symptoms returned with a vengeance. Horrible, puking headaches, felt like fire going down my arm, numbness and tingling in left hand etc. Went to a new surgeon and found out that the fusion had not fused. Re-do surgery in Feb 2010..posterior and anterior at the same time. Then it was also determined that I had a rotator cuff tear and had surgery for that in June of 2008. Now it's November, I'm out of PT visits and the muscle spasms in my neck and shoulder blade areas are still unbearable. I have gone through two sets of trigger point injections. If I took pain killers and muscle relaxers all the times I needed them, I would be non-functional. I'm sick of all this and really depressed thinking that this pain is NEVER going to go away. My doc said it would take a year and it's been 9 months now. It's better, sure, but gosh, will my life ever be normal again? Thanks for listening!

• shoulder surgery was in 2010 after cervical surgery. Long year......
  • mrich, sorry to hear you're going through this tough year. Have you ever been referred to a pain clinic, is that where you had your injections? There are other types of injections as well, that they may try. They usually try one type first a couple of times, then move on to another if it doesn't help, for diagnostic purposes. Also, maybe if you take a steady regimen of meds, it may be more beneficial than just taking them inconsistently. Have you tried any type of nerve medication like neurontin or lyrica? Also, some types of anti-depressants are used for pain as well, like Cymbalta, nortriptyline or amitriptyline. Have you been back to the surgeon for any follow-ups, do you know if this fusion is taking? I haven't had one myself, but knowing from what others have written here, the surgery does take a long time to recover from, some over a year (not meaning to be a downer). I think though, that you should really make an appointment to see your NS soon though.

There are also many other things that can help that you can do yourself for pain management. Here's a link to a post of the site admin's, Ron, he calls it "The Blend". Many of the things on the list, we all do as part of our treatment plan, to help with our own pain.

Again, sorry you've had to find your way here, but welcome. If you take a look at the Conditions and Treatment tabs at the top of the page, you may find other useful information, too. Other than that, we are here to listen and for support!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own