Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Morphine to replace Fentanyl patch Good vs Bad?

raybunrraybun Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
The VA does not supply fentanyl patches. They will convert me to morphine controlled release. Am I going to go through withdrawal symptoms?
Since the patch is 100 times more potent, will they adequately control this enormous pain from degenerative disc desease?
Has anyone else encountered a switch in meds like this?

PLEASE Help....

• The patch isn't 100x more potent- Fentanyl is much more potent, but that's why you are getting it in micrograms instead of milligrams :) That's a misconception many people have about the patch!

I switched from the patch to morphine back to the patch with only minor W/D symptoms depending on dose changes (for me, 25 mcg/hr was about equivalent to 90 mg/day ms-contin). When I switched from 90 mg/day MS-contin back to a 12 mcg/hr patch, I had some w/d symptoms, but not too bad.

Pain relief for me was better on the patch, but everybody is different, it has to do with which medication your body processes better.

Good luck!
  • There are dose equivalent charts for Morph to most other meds.

When converting to Fent - it actually is a range. Like 60 to 120 mg Morph daily.

Ramping up to Fent - they usually start low. I know that I was expected to be on at least 60mg per day, and that was the 25 patch. The 12 patch - is meant to work - on those in-between issue. The 25 is too little and the 50 is too much.

Going to other way. I found that I started at 0 and slowly worked up, until I was getting my activities back, and some quality of life again.

Morph is much cheaper than the Fent - which is why it is the go-to med. For myself - it works well, so I just keep using it, until it does not.
  • There is a decent "conversion" chart on the internet - I think its fairly accurate & most pain docs know what they are doing. I think side effect vary - I had severe constipation on morphine that I didn't have on fentanyl, but fentanyl makes me more tired. What strength patch were you on?
  • The problem with Morphine is that it dries my mouth out very, very bad and also makes me itch like crazy.

You can try some over the counter Benadrill(sp?) for the itching but I do not know what to do about the very dry mouth like I have with it.

For those two reasons I can't take it.

I do hope you have better luck with it than I.
    Cheers and Welcome. :H
    Patsy W
  • Pasty, I have been getting dry mouth and a stuffy nose. I am on 45mg 3x aday and it barley touches my pain! Is perks stronger then morphine? My doctor does not want to give me anything other then the morphine! What I really want is the pain pump but hopefully my surgery will help my pain and I won't have to be on pain meds at all! But right now I am dying!! :(

• Thanks everyone on the help.
    I was so concerned that I will be in more pain as well as withdrawal from the patch.

Some notes: For constipation - Have DR. prescribe Polyethylene Glycol, It completely take away all of my constipation.

For optimist- I am on a 100mcg patch evry 2 days with Oxycodone as a breakthrough med. Still can't get rid of pain tho.

Again, thanks
  • You don't need a prescription for polyethylene glycol. It's available OTC :)