Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ENT in cervical fusion

dbullwinkelddbullwinkel Posts: 224
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a ACDF C5-C6 july 08. In november 10 i re-injured again resulting in buldging discs above and below the fusion. In august the numbness and pain in my arm became unbearable with major increase in neck pain. mri showed c6-c7 was herniated. emg showed decreased conduction in nerve 7...going through all treatments..pT, three epidurals, just started acupuncture. all nerve pain and arm numbness is GONE..bad neck pain remains (burning, pinching, headaches) etc. surgeon in leaning towards surgery. i am needles to say, very upset and not happy. Anyway, today they called with a date...i can cancel if third epidural or acupuncture help..MY QUESTION: he wants me to see an ENT soon..office girl spoke to me. she said he will be in the surgery??? I understand about chances of breathing, swallowing difficulties. But does anyone know why an ENT would be in the surgery? as far as i know, last surgery was my ortho surgeon and neurosurgeon..thanks.
advertisement

Comments

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Interesting, haven't heard of that but perhaps the surgeon and ENT work together to minimize those possible effects. Call the spine surgeon's nurse or medical assistant and ask why the ENT is used.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • About 5 months post op, I started having major problems with my cords - initially it was thought that I developed a paralyzed cord. Instead they found I have now a cracked C6 vertebra (between my fusions) and with the movement, my cords are highly swollen and are staying that way due to the movement. If they decide in the next few months for a revision, my ENT will be in the OR for the procedure.

Mine is a "known issue" for my cords, hence the ENT. He (nor any ENT) was in there for my prior surgeries. If they revise on me, from the front, fuse (and revision - adding a level) C5/6/7/8(T1) and from the back to shore it all up C5/6/7/T1/T2. My cords will be at very high risk for that procedure.

I would ask like SpineAZ mentioned, as unless there are prior problems, or a large multi level procedure, it isn't the norm, why he will be there for yours. Please let us know what they say. Take care.

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I had a vascular injury to the the vestibulocochlear nerve during posterior cervical surgery. It caused hearing loss, nystagmus and horrible vertigo. Although this nerve doesn't exit the spine, it is a cranial nerve, the surgery caused a stroke, that caused damage to the nerve. It wasn't discovered until several days after the surgery when I wound up unable to walk. Up until that point, I simply thought I was getting an ear infection.

I would surmise that depending upon the surgical approach, the surgeon's past experiences and your condition, he is just being cautious.

"stuff" can and does happen during surgery.

"C"
  • On both my cervical fusions there was an ENT there. The ENT surgeon did the initial incision and cleared the area back to the cervical spine. Then after my spine surgeon was done, the ENT surgeon closed the area. As a musician and someone with thyroid disease I was grateful for the ENT. They do a better job and know the area better then the neuro and ortho do.
  • Thank you all for your information. I have an appt. November 24th and will be going with a list of questions! I do not want to have this surgery if I can manage not to!
    @ mcdermoju: thanks for the explanation!
  • Thank you all for your information. I have an appt. November 24th and will be going with a list of questions! I do not want to have this surgery if I can manage not to!
    @ mcdermoju: thanks for the explanation!
advertisement