Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please report problems and concerns here.
Reporting problems
Spine-Health is now up and running on the new system
Simple Tutorial on how to use the new system

How long were you in the hospital for your surgery, and what surgery did you have?

happyHBmomhappyHBmom Posts: 2,074
edited 07/11/2015 - 1:03 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I was surprised to see Angelanic out in 2 days after double fusion! My doctor was quite clear that I should expect to be in 5-6 days. I am not sure whether this is because my surgery entails a bit more (vertebrectomy + realignment+360) and recovery will be harder, or because of different policies? Or both?

I was also told I would not be able to leave until I was cleared for personal care by PT, so walking stairs, getting in and out of a car, etc. I thought this sounded like a great service, do they offer this at all hospitals?

Very curious :) I know I will be itching to get out as soon as they are no longer giving me IV pain meds!
advertisement

Comments

• Hi HB,

2 level PLIF stayed in hosp. 5 days, 2 level ALIF in hosp. for 2 days.

I also had a checklist of things I needed to do before being released.
  • - 1st hemilaminectomy, in hospital 11 days
    - 2nd laminectomy, in hospital 6 days
    - 2 level lumbar fusion, in hospital 5 days
  • My stay was only one day in at 6:00 am out at 6:00 am the following day.I was the only patient for the night,the nurses were quite good to me.
  • So the anterior definitely seems to be a shorter stay if no complications! Do you think it's the incision that keeps you in longer or the procedure?

• I'm just guessing .I think it's because they dont cut any muscles with alif that the stay is shorter.
  • I was expected to be two days but ended up being 5 because I couldn't urinate on my own. Basically, when you can get up out of bed and walk around you are ready to leave.

I am now at 2 weeks. Got my staples out today and it is looking good. I am walking around much better but still on pain killers. I am going to start stretching them out as long as possible (dr suggested to try out to 8 hours). He told me there is nothing I am not supposed to do (except drive on pain killers) but take it easy easy easy. I shouldn't do anything that hurts. The driving would be short distances. I also don't have any requirements on things to do except take it easy and don't rush anything.

Next visit is in 4 weeks after getting an x ray to see how things are going. Then we will also make decisions on going back to work.

Angelah
  • to be in the hospital for 4 days. I was also supposed to have a PLIF. Instead, I had a PLIF in which they put the rods and screws in my back, and four days later, I had an ALIF to take my damaged discs out and put my spacers, dowels, allograft and BMP in. I was in the hospital a total of one week, 7 days. 3-level lumbar 360 fusion.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • For my cervical fusion I was in for 2 nights.

For my recent lumbar fusion I was in 7 days. They did a version where they go in from the back but instead of opening up the abdomen as well they went in from the side (I have a 5 inch incision above my right hip). Thus this also affects the GI system and you can't eat for a number of days so this can extend the stay a bit. I was never pushed to be discharged and the doctor advocated for 2 extra days when I had pain management issues.
    Multiple ACDFs, Multiple Lumbar Fusions; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty
  • That's what I'm having as well, Az. Posterior and Anteriolateral. Thanks for the warning :) I fully expect to have my own host of issues, I always do!
  • I was in for 5 days after laminectomy/discectomy in 08, and also for 5 days after ALIF L4/5 in 09.

With both surgeries, food was restricted for 2 days and then only a very light diet.

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
advertisement