Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How long were you in the hospital for your surgery, and what surgery did you have?

happyHBmomhhappyHBmom Posts: 2,070
edited 07/11/2015 - 8:03 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I was surprised to see Angelanic out in 2 days after double fusion! My doctor was quite clear that I should expect to be in 5-6 days. I am not sure whether this is because my surgery entails a bit more (vertebrectomy + realignment+360) and recovery will be harder, or because of different policies? Or both?

I was also told I would not be able to leave until I was cleared for personal care by PT, so walking stairs, getting in and out of a car, etc. I thought this sounded like a great service, do they offer this at all hospitals?

Very curious :) I know I will be itching to get out as soon as they are no longer giving me IV pain meds!

• Hi HB,

2 level PLIF stayed in hosp. 5 days, 2 level ALIF in hosp. for 2 days.

I also had a checklist of things I needed to do before being released.
  • - 1st hemilaminectomy, in hospital 11 days
    - 2nd laminectomy, in hospital 6 days
    - 2 level lumbar fusion, in hospital 5 days
  • My stay was only one day in at 6:00 am out at 6:00 am the following day.I was the only patient for the night,the nurses were quite good to me.
  • So the anterior definitely seems to be a shorter stay if no complications! Do you think it's the incision that keeps you in longer or the procedure?

• I'm just guessing .I think it's because they dont cut any muscles with alif that the stay is shorter.
  • I was expected to be two days but ended up being 5 because I couldn't urinate on my own. Basically, when you can get up out of bed and walk around you are ready to leave.

I am now at 2 weeks. Got my staples out today and it is looking good. I am walking around much better but still on pain killers. I am going to start stretching them out as long as possible (dr suggested to try out to 8 hours). He told me there is nothing I am not supposed to do (except drive on pain killers) but take it easy easy easy. I shouldn't do anything that hurts. The driving would be short distances. I also don't have any requirements on things to do except take it easy and don't rush anything.

Next visit is in 4 weeks after getting an x ray to see how things are going. Then we will also make decisions on going back to work.

• to be in the hospital for 4 days. I was also supposed to have a PLIF. Instead, I had a PLIF in which they put the rods and screws in my back, and four days later, I had an ALIF to take my damaged discs out and put my spacers, dowels, allograft and BMP in. I was in the hospital a total of one week, 7 days. 3-level lumbar 360 fusion.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    For my cervical fusion I was in for 2 nights.

For my recent lumbar fusion I was in 7 days. They did a version where they go in from the back but instead of opening up the abdomen as well they went in from the side (I have a 5 inch incision above my right hip). Thus this also affects the GI system and you can't eat for a number of days so this can extend the stay a bit. I was never pushed to be discharged and the doctor advocated for 2 extra days when I had pain management issues.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • That's what I'm having as well, Az. Posterior and Anteriolateral. Thanks for the warning :) I fully expect to have my own host of issues, I always do!
  • I was in for 5 days after laminectomy/discectomy in 08, and also for 5 days after ALIF L4/5 in 09.

With both surgeries, food was restricted for 2 days and then only a very light diet.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • TLIF - authorized for 3 days, but left after 2 because I had to share a room and it was so chaotic that I wasn't getting any sleep. Doctor was fine with sending me home even after one day, but I didn't feel ready because my pain meds hadn't stabilized. The extra day definitely helped ensure that my pain was under control. I was also checked out by PT to see that I could do stairs as well as get up and out of bed and out of a chair unassisted.
  • I went in for my 2 level PLIF 6am on the 9th and left afternoon of the 11th.
  • I had a triple fusion on Thursday late and left the hospital on Sunday about noon. No complications but there were things that the PT people required that I be able to do before I left. I am now 9 weeks post op. Traci
  • I had a spinal fusion and decompression on my L5 S1 done posterior. I went in tuesday morning and had the op same day and I came out on saturday. I had to do certain things like climb stairs and they made sure there was care at home
  • Decompression and fusion with screws, rods and interbody cage - PLIF

I had my surgery Friday afternoon and went home on Tuesday morning - so 4 days.
    I was booked in for 5 days, but the surgeon said I could go home after 3 days, but I didn't feel ready until the next day.

• I went into hospital at 7am on a Wednesday and went down for the op at 8am. I stayed in for 2 nights. If I lived nearer to the hospital, I could have gone home on the Thursday (after I had walked up/down a flight of stairs).

2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • My first fusion I stayed 4 days (Posterior). I just couldn't get pain control good enough post-op.

Second fusion was so much better pain wise and I only stayed 2 days. (posterior also,I had hardware removal l3-l4 with fusion extension down to the s1 level)

Next surgery is 12-29 and hopefully it is just simple hardware removal (could be a fusion extension or a bone growth stimulator placed) so not sure how long.
  • I was in the surgical hospital for 6 days and in a rehab hospital for 7 days. Read my blog about my surgery..........

• 1 level, L4-5 went in Tue morning 5:00 am, and left Sat night, 5 days & 4 nights. I was on dilaudid pump for 3 full days. Nice 5 inch incision straight down abdomen.
    Was told 3-4 nights, but had complications on 3rd night.

• 3 level lami/discektomy - 5 days
    another 3 level lami/disk 6 days
    PLIF 2 levels 13 days (had some complications)

They also had the requirements about being able to do stairs, etc. and also want to make sure you are okay with oral pain meds only.
  • Microdiscectomy L4/L5--done as outpatient

ALIF L5/S1---23 hour stay
    No activity requirements, such as stairs, etc.
    IV removed the day of surgery and oral meds started. I honestly do not think I was well enough for discharge, especially since I lived two hours away from the hospital.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    l4-S1 discectomy= 1 day
    cervical fusion- 1 day
    posterior cervical fusion= 3 days
  • 05 laminectomy 3 level lumbar 3 days...

07 L2-S1 360 lumbar reconstruction...thats another story...6days

Developed infection 14 more days in hospital and rehab unit...

Good luck with your surgery...may the Lord guide your surgeons hands...
  • poodlemama99ppoodlemama99 Posts: 44
    edited 07/22/2014 - 7:16 AM
    Had surgery Monday morning sept. 2002 and was in intensive care until wednesday afternoon. spent additional day on regular care floor and came home thursday afternoon.

4 level lumbar fusion. L3-S1

mostly successful. 8 years later am mostly pain managed (never will you be pain free totally) and am 200% better than pre surgery. Very little range of motion and cannot sit for more than 10 minute stretches. Walking and moving around is better although after about 1/2 hour that also becomes very painful.

Good luck everyone.
    4 level posterolateral fusion L2-S1 with rods and screws and cadaver bone. Spondylolisthesis, spinal stenosis, scoliosis, sciatica, DDD, facet disease and arthritis. September 2002
  • PLIF, S1-L4 (2 level) rods and screws.

Planned for 3-4, possibly 5. Had complications, was in for 9.

Hardware removal - planned for 1-2, was in for 4 due to an allergic reaction to norco of all things.
  • PLIF L4-5 on Monday am and went home on Thursday at noon. I had severe nausea that kept me one more day than my surgeon had planned. Very glad that I stayed the extra day.

• I had a lumbar discectomy on 2/4/10. It was at the L4/L5 area. I spent the night in the hospital and came home the next day.
  • I had L4 L5 Fusion went in on a thur came home on mon
  • outpatient, left 2 hours after surgery. No requirements for me to do anything, they just told me to go.

This was a mistake, because I live an hour and a half from the hospital, and they gave me the wrong pain meds. I couldn't come back to get the oxycodone I needed, and they couldn't phone in that prescription. Also, I had terrible nausea. The first few hours after I got home my husband was frantically racing around trying to get anti-nausea meds and the pain meds. If I had simply stayed at the hospital for another couple of hours, all that could have been easily sorted out.
  • Posterior c1 c2 fusion. Surgery on friday at noon, released saturday at noon. I had to walk, eat, pee, and NOT throw up.