Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

"Well WHAT did you do NOW??"....

PollyRPPollyR Posts: 411
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Chronic Pain
Does your pain increase without "help"?

My lumbar and T-spine are painful and everytime I grunt, on accident because I TRY not to!!, or move slow someone will ask me....."Well what did you do now"??? And I look at them like.... oh I jumped off a building today JUST to see if it might hurt!! LOL

So my question is.....do you have to DO anything for the pain to be worse??

Thank you my Spiney Friends!!!

• For me, the weather affects the degree of pain, how much, where, etc. I can pretty much count on it starting in again 4 hours after a pain pill and starting it's screeching ascent into my nerves within an hour of return. I know "if" I were dumb enough to go take my horse for a ride, I could pretty much count on it being a whole lot worse and also a lot more joint pain with it. Some days are just worse than others I think - who knows why, just dumb luck? :)
  • Thank you Marion...I was worried I was going BoNkErS!! Cause when they ask me that I actually stop and go back through my day trying to think of what I did...LOL:)

I pray that your day is not too painful dear!!
  • PollyR said:
    everytime I grunt, on accident because I TRY not to!!
    Our one dog, that we've had since he was 8 weeks old, grunts every time he sits/lays down or gets up. The other day, my hubby looked at me and said "You know he gets that from you!!" LOL

I don't think we have to do anything, hence people blaming the weather and barometric pressure (which I do believe affects us). Some days it's just worse than others, apparently for no reason at all... But who knows, we could just move a certain way without realizing it that would cause more pain?
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Marion I just wrote the same thing... Get out of my head!!! LOL
  • DO NOT, ever - take your 32 pound 18 month old grandson by the hands and swing him around in circles while he laughs and laughs till he has you rolling too! You both get so dizzy, you almost fall over. Not a good idea...
    Also, if you have a 34 pound turkey that is a pet, and he gets his foot tangled up in some twine that your jerk neighbors have apparantely thrown over the fence into your pasture, do not try and pick him up by one leg while attempting to cut the twine off with scissors. Also not a good plan - especially when it's muddy and your horse is helping by pushing you in the butt with his nose as if coaxing you along. :)
  • Oh Kelly...that was adorable!! Its always the Moms fault...LOL:) Thank you for that!!

• I can just picture that...WOW that would be soooo hilarious !! Sorry Marion but I bet it was!! =)) =))
  • For me, I know some things will trigger pain, other times I can just be sitting and all of the sudden a pain comes, and I try not to grunt out, as it gets old fast. Sometimes the pain stays, others times it comes and goes just as fast, so never really know why.
  • Hello Eve, so you get those...out of the blue pains also? They kind of take your breathe away dont they??
  • No I don't have to do anything for my pain to get worse. Sometimes it is because of doingbsomething stupid like playing with the baby, he likes to be held upside down and will try to throw himself out of your arms just to get there. But sometimes it's as simple as standing up taking a few steps and then it hits and yeah it does take your breath away.

I hate the question what did you do now because half the time the answer is I moved, I adjusted my position I sat down, stuff like that. Just normal things that millions of people do every minute of everyday that can end up causing some of us to double over crying out in pain. Sometimes it just hits without moving at all it's just there.
  • Oh Ezra, you hit the perverbial nail on the head there!!!
  • Things that the "normals" take for granted...
  • My normal - means that I take ER meds each day. They last for a period of time. I have an equal amount of IR meds. I use them - as needed throughout the day.

I have days like today, when I use it all up - and wish I had a pile more to use.

My pain spikes, because I had to bury the cat. It spikes because the moon came up. It spikes because its sunny and warm. It spikes because I did not a blessed thing to invoke it, but today I am just paying for it!

That is what Chronic is all about. I know that there are times I get a reprieve - and other times that it gets to me.

Matters not - it just is - I just have to get used to it!
  • smiley735Our one dog, that we've had since he was 8 weeks old, grunts every time he sits/lays down or gets up. The other day, my hubby looked at me and said "You know he gets that from you!!" LOL

quote said:

For some reason I had a quick visualization of the whole cozy scene, old dog and all and I laughed until I cried. Of course that's what set me off today! Thanks I needed that!

(Please whatever you do, no more details I love the scene as I have it playing in my head it's perfect. :) I'm still giggling.)
  • I blew a level just yawning, remember? (G) Like was already said, pain is its own creature. You could have rested for a day or 2, got out of bed funny, and zing, there you go - pain is ramped up for the day! For how your original post went for this thread, THOSE are the days I think I hate the most. It's one thing when I do things, and *know* I am gonna pay for it, but when you have been good, and did nothing (that I) thought didn't bother anything, and bing, 2 or 3 days of pure hell!! It's part of this 'new' life I guess. Sigh... :)

I hope this missive finds you feeling much less pain Polly. *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I have customers that see me flinge and say 'Marla you're having a pain attack you, aren't you?' Its bad enough I know I'm having it but for my customers to see it. I just reach for my leg or my back usually my left leg and need to sit and try to rub it without looking weird. My husband is so used to it he doesn't say much anymore about it and that kind of hurts my feelings like he's "done" with me having pain. And like the rest of you unconciesely a "grunt" most always accompanies the pain.
    And I thought it was just me.
    Its so nice to know I'm not alone at embarrassing myself.
    To all, have many *pain free* days!!!
  • just got back from my drs app , yes im in pain , back to laying down till eventually it will ease enough so i can put the shopping away that was delivered just before i went to drs.
    flower (in pain , laying down as usual
    and its getting really old) :(
    and groaning as i make my way through the front door (how attractive... not)
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    If I had a dime for every time people ask me that question!! My husband comes home from work and just looks at me sometimes and asks that! Last night my son said Dad I've been telling her all day to sit down but she won't listen. I do wish they'd realize that it's not always "my fault" though.

I hope you're all having a better day. Your posts made me laugh anyway so thanks.

• Sorry if this makes it any funnier, but my dog is actually only two years old!!!
  • Is that like a normal thing in your daily routine? I'm sorry, I am sure it was a sad tramatic thing, but the way you said it - had me cracking up like most of these posts!
  • I get that a lot, well you do too much? Really? Well, for one, I LOVE taking care of my animals and my family and two - it doesn't matter if I was sitting on my butt all day - it would probably hurt about the same.
    A also agree, most of these posts are pretty damn funny! GOOD STRING POLLY!!! I think we all needed some excellent humor here - I know I sure did!
  • Wow this is better than i expected....LOL...I think humor is NEEDED when you hurt all the time!!! Well at least we know how many of us hear this alot now...:)

Oh Brenda thank you for the sweet thought...I was feeling better till last nights car accident...I wont repeatmyself..I started a thread about it in the Cervical section!! At least today I KNOW why I am hurting!! LMAO!!
  • Of course it makes sense.

Chronic Pain has no age restrictions. None.

But please no more info. I have the story set beautifully in my mind. Don't change it.

I see you, your husband, the room, the dog, the TV quietly in the background. The dog slowly getting up, the little quirkly grins from your husband as he makes his statement, the raise of the eyebrows, the silent slight movement of your head that says, "I'll get you back later for that remark." His silent but obvious love that comes from a slight raise of his lips in a grin....

Don't spoil it if I'm wrong!

Sometimes life is an illusion. Today I need mine.

• nope, you pretty much nailed it!!! =))
  • This thread is absolutely hilarious. Between what Kelly posted, Frog's posts, Marion ALWAYS gets me laughing... whew!

Laughing... it sometimes induces pain, but soooo worth the "release" we get. :))(

LOL... Marion's post of "Burying a cat? Is that like a normal thing in your life?" OMG... too much! And Centurion... believe me... I have cats and know the mourning of losing one. And I absolutely adore you. It's just how Marion says things, and the others too, it just pushes that belly laugh button in me!

Sweet Polly... I agree with everyone here, regarding pain. Sometimes a hard sneeze will set me off. Sometimes it's accidentally twisting wrong. The barometric pressure falling is a doozy on the joints.

You're not alone and obviously among fabulous people here. You all are priceless.

Wishing you less pain today, Polly. :)

• Where in the world is that LIKE Button?????

• When a spasm comes from nowhere, i do this snapping of the fingers to ride out the initial pain. I don't know why I do this, or if it helps. But between the snapping fingers, and snarling teeth, I must be quite a picture!

It is amazing to me to feel the actual muscle contracting. I had a day from He(( yesterday, unable to move any part of my torso. It seemed that with each movement I made things worse. But I had a sick kid at home, no rest for the wicked!

Today is the first day in over 2 weeks, that I do not have to work, or have a kid home sick from school...I have the house to myself until 230, and soon I am going back up to my unmade bed and watch tv until I fall asleep for a nice long morning nap. Today is a beautiful day!!!!

Thank you all for the laughs and visuals!!!

• To tell you the truth, Yep - our 17 year old cat, passed on Sat. And since no one was home, I had to bury him too. Now I try not to use a shovel as it rakes heck on my Facet joints.

But it has to get done. And then I had to clean the house up a bit, as the cat was sick for awhile, that Day and I did not realize it.

Yeh - sad and at the same time - I needed to make some dark humour out of it too. As I needed to put it into perspective for myself.
  • It's making me laugh, thanks for that guys.

There are so many different factors that can affect our pain levels. For me personally, I usually know when someting is going to hurt my back - for example, doing gardening - I love to do it, but I know it can take me 2-3 days to get over it. It never stops me though, because to give up doing everything I enjoy would depress me even more. So if my back hurts me when I start, then I might only do 10 minutes - it all depends how I feel and whether it's raining or not (well, I do live in the UK!).

If I haven't done something before (or not for years and years) and have no knowledge how it will affect me, then I'll usually try it ONCE to find out. Ha! Like the other week when I did trampolining! Not a good idea and apart from making a right fool of myself, my back killed me for at least 4 days afterwards - I didn't think I could moan about that because I knew it was my own fault.

What gets me the most is on occasions when I'm in pain and have done absolutely nothing (in my opinion) to warrant it. The other day, while working in the school, I went to get up from one of those teeny-tiny chairs and when I did, the natural noise that came out of me was a deep groan. One of the little kiddies said to me "You sound just like my grandad miss!", Well thanks, and by the way I was trying to straighten myself out, I probably looked like her grandad too!

It's so hard knowing now that there are loads of things I shouldn't do any more because I know they will increase my back pain, but the thing is, it doesn't stop me trying!!!!

2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • Everyone has a laundry list of things that irritate their pain and yes it could start without you doing "anything" but chances are it was something so small that most people wouldn't remember (even resting/being up for too long. I get the same comments and looks as you all the time so I completely understand.

I hope you are able to figure it out. Good luck!
    Fall 7 times, stand up 8...
This discussion has been closed.