Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

muscle spasms after acdf

Lela1122LLela1122 Posts: 119
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi all I havent been here in a while, I really thought I was done coming to spine health, not that I dont like you all or anything, just after my acdf on june 8th, 2010, I thought, I would be tip top by now, wow not so, i am still having muscle spasms in my traps and down the middle of my back and the headaches have been really bad had to go back on the topamax, I still am on hydrcodone, soma was dx with fibro am taking savella for that and was just wondering if anyone else has felt this way after neck surgery, I have been getting more depressed because of the pain I just dont know what to do, I did another series of facet injections within the last 2 weeks and pm is talking about doing the radiofrequency in my neck, he said the arthritis in there is really bad, any thoughts? thanks Lela

• Hiya, and sorry you are still having problems,, one thing that really helped me was myofascial release therapy . If you have the right person doing it. I had two ppl, one was so much better than the other, you might want to google it, and talk to your doc about it.
  • Hi Lela - I had terrible neck and shoulder spasms after each of my 3 ACDF surgeries. I lived on muscle relaxers for a long time and also had a few massages which really helped. In fact, my muscles in my shoulder region are still so tight that I have problems when doing PT. The spasms did eventually stop but it did take some time.

I have had 3 rediofrequency procedures - one on my neck and one in my left hip region. The procedure was extremely painful FOR ME. I have been told by others that it did not hurt that much. I have a large pain threshold (I thought) but I will never again repeat the procedure. It was unsuccessful in my neck but helped tremdous in the hip area. Speak to others about the RF prior to your proceure.

Good luck with the spasms and the RF. I hope you find relief soon.

• Hey thanks for your response, yeah I am not so sure about the rf procedure, I dont want to do it. I think I will still live on the muscle relaxers! I am still such tired of the burning and pain!
  • I'm a 35 yr old man and had Artificial Disc Replacement (C5/C6) on June 4th, 2010. I was experiencing major headaches and spasms in my neck muscles prior to surgery. Within two days of the surgery, I lost the feeling in my right tricep and trap muscle. Since then it's been a constant rollercoaster of pain and spasms across my shoulder blades and down my back. My Neuro surgeon was stumped and multiple MRIs, EMGs and C-flex xrays show nothing out of place. I went through 4 months of extensive physical therapy and still no feeling or use in my right delt and trap.

I went to another Neurologist and and was told this is a normal part of healing and basically suck-it-up. She said it could take a year for the nerves to heal and the pain to stop. I've bought a hot tub recently to help with the pain, as well as a TENs unit and Theracane. These, along with two Amril and 3-4 Hydrocodone/day, help to manage the spasms and pain. Even these are starting to weaken and the pain is getting the upper hand again.

I am also starting to get depressed as this is really affecting my marriage and job. My PCP recently prescribed Wellbutrin. I'm just tired of not being myself and I'm afraid I may soon forget who I used to be. I'm just not satisfied that this is normal. You should not Lose functionality as a result of surgery.

Best of luck to you and your recovery. I have a third opinion coming on Dec 26 so I will post the results. Please post if you hear anything as well.
  • Go see an ACUPUNCTURIST.

I had ACDF on C-3/4 and C-5/6 in Aug. 2010. I woke up from surgery screaming and cussing from the spasms and pain. For the first 15 days post surgery my spasms were so severe that I could not function. I slept an average of 2 to 6 hrs a night only to be awaken by the spasms and screaming in pain. I was getting delirious from the lack of sleep and that I could not keep track of my meds and I almost overdosed. I called the doctor’s office probably every other day complaining about the pain but their solution was more meds, one time they told me “just go to the ER if it’s that bad”, and no PT. I could not take it anymore, but finally the one thing most insurance companies will not pay for worked. That one thing was ACUPUNCTURE, I have never had it before this ordeal and now I’m a believer of it. I went for one week on a Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday for 40 minute sessions each. The therapist inserted 2 needles in each ear and 3 in each shin…I know that’s crazy. After the second session I was able to sleep a full 8 hrs straight. After the fourth session I no longer had the spasms. Well a week later my doctor approved PT. I went to PT 3 times and my spasms came back. I stopped PT and went back to the Acupuncturist, after 2 sessions they went away.
This discussion has been closed.