Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Car Accident....

PollyRPPollyR Posts: 411
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello Everyone....My Hubby and I got into a car accident last night! The Er said I severly strained my entire back....at 3:30 this morning I woke p with the worst headache and pain on the right side of my neck...I cant turn it hardley at all!!

Hubby is fine, he is way tougher than me, but I am hurting sooo bad....I cant stop shaking....does this back thing ever end!?!

I am really scared right now...we are moving in Jan and I cant mess that up!! I just want to cry more!!

• I can only say, shoot, glad to hear that your alive! And although your hurt, you have not broken anything?

Add you to my thoughts for the day! Do take care!
  • Oh thank you and no nothing broken thank God but I am wondering what is messed up that the X-Rays they did are not showing.....

Thank you again Cent!!
  • Polly I can feel for you. Make sure you get to your doctor immediately and again in a few days if they don't find anything. After my accident it took a few days for the real problems to come out.

Hope you feel a bit better as the day goes on.
  • Kris thank you and I know I need to go...I am still hurtin bad but I am so sick of Drs!!!
  • Glad to hear you and hubby came thru it with apparently just bumps and bruises.
    Notice i said apparently, make sure you go to the doctor and get checked out.
    Like Kris said it's common for it to take a couple of days for the injuries to show, after the inital soreness is gone.
    So do not hesitate and see the doctor, for your own sake.
  • Thank you Jim...We are blessed and VERY lucky!! I will make an apt to get seen by my PCP....I am concerned about the pain in my neck/shoulder area and the painful area right above my surgery site....:(

They gave me a script for Robaxin for the muscle spasms....I have never taken that! Has anyone got any info about it??
  • I'm so sorry this happened, you did not need a car accident to make things worse but I'm glad you were not more injured.

I've taken robaxin. It's not as good as flexeril (sp) but it's a lot better than skelaxin. For me anyways. I was given it at the er after a finder bender I had earlier in the year because they said I'd be hurting for a few days afterward and it would help loosen me up. It worked ok for me, I could tell I was taking it and it didn't put me out like flexeril. That will put me to sleep within an hour of taking it every time. So yeah I think it works ok but i think flexural works the best out of the three. I hope that helped you some and again I'm so sorry that you have to deal with this too. I think sometimes life just tries to test you and see how long it will take for you to break. Sorry I'm in a pain induced mood and I'm having a lot of issues with life throwing too much at you at one time. I really hope you are feeling better soon
  • Polly, I am so sorry to hear about this. Thank goodness your hubby is okay. Can you get into your PCP? That would be a place to start.

You could have whiplash (that's what they told me). You need to keep seeing a doctor to monitor things. I got worse and worse as the weeks went by.

Make sure you file a medical claim- the car insurance should pay for everything. Start documenting everything.

• Thank you Ezra I made a mistake...it is Flexril...It knocked me out for a while!!

Thank you Julie, yeah he is way tough...he says he is sore too!! I didnt get a chance to call the Dr today...my meds made me pass out and I dont really know if I am going to be able to work tomorrow....Oh why cant all this pain just stop??!!
  • So sorry to hear about this accident, Polly! At least you're still posting, so we know what's happened to you. Will be praying that the pain eases up so you're able to work.

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • *HUGZ* Sorry this happened, but glad to see you posting with us - that is a plus in itself! It usually takes a few days for the "pain" to kick in from such an accident. Hopefully you will only have muscle and a bit of spasm pain, and nothing else, and too it will pass in a short time. Fingers crossed for ya woman!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thank you Linda and Brenda....Today is much worse...pain in the area above my surgery site...pain in the t-spine and my neck/head is hurting SOO bad!!

The vicodine and Flexeril are not helping..it keep waking up at 3:30 every morning....We have not heard back from the girls insurance so I am wondering if I need to call a lawyer??? Our mustang is a "show car" so that HAS to get fixed and my hubby is very nervous that if I have to have an MRI or such that it will interfere with our move to Ca in Jan....but it feels like there is major things wrong back there....

Help I dont know what to do!!!
  • Thank GOD you both walked away from the accident. I would call a lawyer for sure.

As for the pain, don't even bother with the PCP go to a neuro or ortho doc immediately. Get MRI and the works (which I am sure the lawyer will tell you to do as well). Hang in there.

Our thoughts are with you.

• Thank you Angela....Thats what I am going to do today...I cant handle this pain anymore!! I still have the shakes and my right arm is tingly....:(
  • Here is an Update....I put a call into a well known lawyer and will be getting a call back from him later this afternoon!!! It turns out the move wont hurt anything..Thank God!!

Thank you ALL for being so concerned about me!! I love you all and would go bonkers without you!!!
  • dont worry bout the car, it can be fixed (insuranc) and its not in pain , lol
    but you are , so go to the dr , get some scans done, make sure your ok, ok
    you can allways get the scans/ reports to take with you when you relocate for your new drs in Ca

take care
  • Thank you Flower...I know I just love that car..her name is Tweety cause she is bright yellow....At this point I am more concerned about me!! I know that sounds really bad and selfish of me!!

I am also scared of what they might find when they do the scans...:(
  • Polly. Soo sorry to hear about your accident.Glad that you were able to post on here to let us know, now you have all our prayers and thoughts from all of us with you. Hope you get into the doctor's soon and figure out what is going on.
    >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Oh Karen thank you for the prayers...they mean alot to me!!

I guess my PCP wont see me since we dont have the "Med pay" on our insurance....Even though it is HER insurance that will pay!!

So now I have to wait to get a call from this other Dr that mine reffered me to today....I dont even know how long it will take...OMG why...just why...

My pain pills are not touching this at all!!!
  • Polly,

I'm very proud of you! Getting with a lawyer is a very good move, and too getting imaging done to see if there is, (or hopefully) isn't a problem, and it is just post accident muscle pain that will pass. Please keep us posted. Looks like you are taking the right fork in the road there woman! *HUGZ*

• Polly,

I hope you are feeling better tonight ~hugs~

Let us know how it goes with the new doctor.

• Have you gotten into see your doctor yet? I hope that your pain is getting better? I had an accident just 2yrs ago and am still having problems from it.Sounds to me like you have whiplash,did they mention that to you at the hospital? If thats the case then try and get some physical therapy,when i had it after the accident it helped my headaches and back pain,i also did weekly massages to help with the muscle tightness and pain. Unfortunately i had allot of other problems before the accident and the accident just made them worse.I was also new out of having my neck surgery.Just some suggestions of what you can do to help with the pain. Make sure you get into your doctor and get a plan of action from him.You shouldn't be suffering from that much pain.I had migraine like headaches for quite a while after the accident.Is it possible to get back to see your surgeon to make sure your spine is ok??
    Big soft Hugs >:D<
  • Brenda ☺ I still have not heard from that Dr BUT I went to meet with the lawyer this morning after my company meeting!! They ( the lawyer) is going to get HER insurance on the ball to fix our mustang and the lawyer has a program that will cover my medical treatments till we settle the case, so no out of pocket for me!!

Wanna hear the funny part....I took my daughter with me to be my eyes while I am driving, cause I cant turn my head, and the lawyer said that I cant drive till I get better!1 LOL:)

You all know me....We have to have some humor through the pain!!!

Hopefully I get to start treatment really soon!!

Thank you for the sweet thoughts!!
  • Hey Julie, thank you for caring!! I have not got to see the Dr yet...Oh I hate waiting!!!

How are you holding up today??
  • Hello Tammy...yeah still no Dr but my lawyer is none too happy about that!!!

I am willing to do ANYTHING, except Chiro, to ease up this pain!! I noticed last night that the outer part of right arm was hurting fairly bad!! and my fingertips are still numb/tingly on my right hand!

How are you doing??
  • Polly,

So good to hear that "no out of pocket" expenses for you! I know that *has* to be a stress reducer for sure. :) Hate to say it Polly, but your lawyer is probably right in that you shouldn't be driving until all the findings are in. Please be careful. Support *HUGZ* to ya woman!!! 8>

• Polly, with your exhisting problems the accident may have exasperated them. I am so glad you saw the lawyer already. You are so lucky!

You know I was intially DX'd with whip-lash I think they automatically attach that DX to anyone with back pain after a auto accident. With all my insurance (2 private health & my auto & the at fault) etc it took me till late August to finally get the MRI of my T-Spine, I had x-rays of my neck, mri with and with out contrast of my neck, 2 esi's around the c8 before the PM, PT and myself convinced my NS office to order the T MRI. They discovered all kinds of problems that matched my symptoms.

I am just saying it might be a long haul getting dx'd again and properly treated unfortunately :(

Getting to see my NS who always has a 2 month waiting list has actually been faster but seeing his PA is what slowed me down. I should have went to my PCP but the hospital reffered me to my NS who set me up with the PA....

I think you are right on with your plan. I hope you get in to see a MD soon.

~ Hugs~ Julie
  • Hey Brenda...you know it is a very big relief for them to cover the expenses...I even have to write down my milage to and from the drs and lawyers apts!!

It was really really hard to let my daughter, whom is a VERY good driver, drive me home yesterday!! And guess what.....a car pulled out in front of us and stopped...just like the accident!!! OMG I could not believe it....she had to slam on the breaks or we would have hit his car :jawdrop:.....She was like..."mom....are you ok?? Was that De javu(sp?) for you...I am SO SORRY!!" And to think..I thought having the BRIGHTEST colored car on the road would be safer?!?! We have a screaming yellow mustang!!

But I do really love getting your gentle hugs...They feel good:):). Thank you and I will keep you posted!!
  • Oh Julie...first of all...I am SOOO sorry that it has taken this long of a fight for you to get some help...Drs just dont listen some times!! I have been praying for you to have some relief from what you have went through!! You are a very STRONG Lady!!!

No call from the Dr yet...But I am hoping that by next week they will call me cause I dont know if they work on Sat...:(

It is my neck and upper back that have been hurting and spasming...NOT fun...but you all know that!!

♥ you dearly..my surgery twin!! :):)
  • Polly,

I fully understand the "Oh boy been here before" after a tragic event. The 're-live' is what I call it. It can be scary too! In the last 3 miles to the campground here in Texas, my hubby was driving down the road, and there was a pickup stopped at a stop sign, we got within 100 feet, and this moron pulls out in front of us!! The hubby was standing on the brakes (and the braking in our tow system as well locked up) of the RV, everything went flying, and we missed crashing into him by inches! We found later minor damage in the RV from the sudden deceleration. Now every time my hubby sees a car/pickup at a stop sign, he is very hesitant that the guy will stay there!

It has been over 25 years since I crashed my helicopter, to this day (actually a year ago - medications grounded me), when I practiced auto-rotations (simulated engine failures), I wiggled at the bottom on the recovery! So you are reacting normally!!

Here's more.... *HUGZ* .... :)