Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bad Day

angelanicaangelanic Posts: 256
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hi all,

Two weeks exactly since my TLIF and yesterday I got my staples out and talked to the doctor about the best way to begin seperating out my pain meds. AND then of course today I am having a horrible day. Just wanted to complain to those of you that understand. So I was taking oxy 15 every 6 hours and valium when needed in between to bridge or if I was having spasms. Dr. suggested if I am feeling a bit better to stretch to 8 hours. I made it because I fell asleep after taking a valium at hour 5. Don't get me wrong I don't have to stretch it out but was really thinking I was feeling better and could do it. Disappointed to say the least. It seemed my shower and about 10 extra minutes of standing today put me over the edge. I am sick of people taking care of me :-(

Thanks for listening.



  • Don't push it, girl! Pain isn't good for the healing, you'll do much better if you manage your pain.

    Long haul, remember? One day at a time!
  • I used to be very independent before my double fusion in July. I had L 3/4 & L 4/5 fused with a cage and bone stim. implanted. I was 59 when I went in for surgery, now 60. Now, I can walk with a crutch, but I still need help with cooking cleaning, etc... i worked up until a year ago for 10 hours a day on my feet. Now, the Dr. has said I will never work again. I have a "wonderful" husband and daughter to have been by my side for this journey. I say all that to say this, "have faith in yourself that things will get better". Just take one day at a time, and try not to hurry the process. I must confess that I am still on pain meds since before my surgery in July, but all my doctors know that I only take them when needed. You're still very early in your recovery. Be good to yourself, and just accept the help for now. Oh, and I started a journal the day after my surgery, and I'm allot better now than I was when on the day of surgery.
  • Hi Angela,
    I remembe after my discotomy at L4/L5 I had a hard time. When I went to get stapples out at 10 days the doctor gave me no direction except to "do what you are comfortable with" so I pushed myself. I would have an ok few hours and think great, I'm doing better, I should get up and move around to loosen up and then i would pay for it over the next 24 hours. I wish I had listened to my body and not tried to push it. I think if I had taken that extra time and allowed myself to rest I would have had a shorter less painful recovery so give yourself permission to take it slow.
  • I know how frustrating it is to not be able to do things and ask for help. Its very hard, sometimes it can be annoying, other times almost embarassing.

    Having said that: accept any and all help during your recovery, please! You will hear this again and again from the "Spiney Veterans": that you are indeed way too early in your recovery to be doing too much. As HB said, it is a long haul. Overdoing can lead to problems, allow yourself time to heal, you deserve it.

    We are always here to vent or ask for help. Please take care,

  • Hi Angela,

    I know how you feel!!! I had my fusion just a few days before you! I am actually having a bad day today.

    I felt pretty good yesterday so of course being a mom and a wife who feels like you so tiered asking for help did to much yesterday.

    I puttered around the house ect. We need to take the advise from Lisa and take it slow. Who knows maybe someday we will be running in a marathon. :) Seriously I know how you feel!!

    Hope you are having a better day today!

  • I really really appreciate your support and thoughts. I am resting comfortably today and decided to take me meds when needed and not stress about the house. My mom is coming tomorrow so I know some stuff will get done that my husband is too lazy (okay..not lazy but just doesn't see..what is with men they walk past a laundry basket 10 times...just carry it upstairs). On another positive note, finished ALOT of christmas shopping today. I have to do some stocking stuffers, etc but will wait until second week of December or so.

  • To hear you are resting today. Hooray for the internet: it helps so much when you really do not want or can't get out there to shop (I don't like crowds anyway!).

    Angela, I was never a neat-nick, but now I have had to lower my standards. The cleaning can always wait, there are so many important things to tend to. I always tell myself that when I get ready to visit the Pearly Gates, the last thing on my mind should be about housework I should have done! It helps put things in perspective.

    I wish you well with your recovery,
Sign In or Register to comment.