Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

options for pain treatment after fusion l5/s1

tiredofitall1ttiredofitall1 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Lower Back Pain
Looking for advice an options. I'm a 30yr plus male that was injured at work over two years ago. I have been through physical therapy, epidurals, and of course the fusion. I still have lots of pain,soreness and stiffness in my lower back and glutes. Workcomp cut me off recently among trying to screw me over etc.. The Surgeon said I am as good as I am going to get. I have been to pain management. The pain mngt Dr added methadone ontop of the narco which barely puts a dent in the pain most days. Had put me on gabapentin which did not do anything except make me miserable and realize it was stop taking it or not drive. I recently found out my body quit making testorone from all the meds. I am working on getting those levels back up to where they need to be. I can tell I'm not there yet but still a few weeks off before my next blood workup. The pain management doctor has given me about 7 injections in and around the fusion site. He has mentioned way down the road being a canidate for a spinal stimulator. I have read good things about em and also been told to stay away from em. The Dr also said most insurance wont cover it too. I am soo tired of my life being derailed and what its done to my family. I just want to ge it back on track and be able to not feel all the pain or have the stiffness. Thanks for any advice. M

• Why was you told to stay way from SCS. Its not a cure. But it does help you live a better life then not having one.

• Have to agree with Jim here. If you have no more surgical options available, a stimulator may be in the cards. It does require a trial to see if it can help you before you do the permanent implant. Take a look at the posts in the Spinal Cord Stimulation topic area.

• Hi
    I am in the same boat with ya!! I was hurt at work in 07'. I have been on so many different meds that I have had to go to the pharmacy and get a list just so I know. right now I am on 800mg of gabapitin, 750 methocarbam, and 10 mg lortab. I am a mother of 3 kids and a wife.
    I have done everything you have and nothing has worked. I have had 2 surgery's one for the fusion with hardware and the 2 one to take out the hard ware cause it was tearing the muscle in the back when i would bend or move wrong.
    I have learned that back problems can ruin so much of are lives, my youngest was 5 when all of my stuff started and I missed out on doing things with him due to the pain. My middle grew up so fast after my surgery, She was there to help me get dressed, get to the bathroom. She was there when I stopped breathing after I got home. It tears a family down and a marriage.
    I hope that you find something that will work for you soon. and do not let workers comp screw you. I do not know where you live but I have an awesome case manager and have not had any problems. Again good luck!!
  • I'm sorry to hear of your problems with the pain and being at MMI. I know nothing about the SCS or pain pump, but know that they have helped many members here that are in your situation.

PatWhite and others have had a pain pump installed and are now living lives they only dreamed of before.

Admin dave and moderator "C" (haglandc) both have an SCS and can tell you how it's changed their lives dramatically.

Cherish22 was stuck in her recliner 22 hours of the day with debilitating pain until she had her SCS installed and now she doesn't even post much because her life has improved so much.

Like Dave said, go to the SCS area and read the stories. I think it might make you re-think some of the options you have ahead of you.

• Hi Tired!! Your story sounds a lot like mine. I would love to find something that would help long term. I would love to give up all these medications. It is so hard to fight WC, and get them to do something, especially if you are not returning to work.
    (long story there, original injury was 2002, "fixed" by discectomy-settled with WC for just lifetime medical management. Pain continued to worsen over the years. Decided to have fusion surgery. Lost my job several months after deciding to have the fusion. Have had worse low back pain since the fusion 9/08)
    I have been through multiple injections that have only provided short term relief. The keft side of my lower back feels like it is on fire. I have frequent muscle spasms/cramps in my left leg.
    My pain management doc and I have talked about SCS. I will have to look over the information on those topics. There is so much information here on this site. I am new to the site also. I hope we both find the answers we need. I hate to think of someone who is so young, like you and many others here, having to go through this.
This discussion has been closed.