Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chilled to the bone

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Chronic Pain
For days now, I've been soooo cold and can't get any decent long-term warmth. Because I'm still fighting this blasted cold, I ocassionally get a hot flash and think I might have a fever spike, but most of the day, I'm just chilled to the bone.

Our weather here has changed to the normal Rocky Mountain autumn/winter weather - 45-50 degree days, some snowy and windy 35 degree days and always cold nights. I wear a long sleeved t-shirt, my lounge pants, thick sock and slippers all covered with my fleece robe which keeps me somewhat warm, but I'm constantly just chilled so deep down inside that I can't get it to go away. It hurts my joints, my muscles tighten up, it makes me tired fighting it and the pain is getting bad because of this. A hot, hot shower helps in the short-term, but not long-term. Oh, how I wish for a hot tub right now ("C", can I come over?), but I think I might pickle myself and hubby would come home to a prune.

It's not a circulation problem as I'm moving around most of the day and it doesn't help. I think I need to live in a hot water body suit.

I have to wonder if it's my hardware that gets cold and they just act like ice cubes, chilling me from the inside out (I have one anteriorly in my cervial and one posteriorly in my lumbar). On top of it all, I can't find my newest heating pad, which isn't one of those wonderful infrared ones, but I'd love one of those. Today it's going to be 56 degrees and I'm hoping it's warm enough to go outside, sit in a chair in the sun and read a book and get toasty, but I'm not sure 56 is warm enough to get rid of this deep seated chill.

Do any of you have this happening to you now that the days are getting colder? Please tell me it's not just me...

Cathie
advertisement

Comments

• Hey Cathie...no its not just you!! :) Here in Co it is getting solder too and I have noticed since my lumbar fusion that the coldness is really really hard to shake!!! I too bundle up and my hubby and daughter look at me like I am crazy!!! lol

So just keep bundling up and try to stay warm!!!!
  • I'm also in Colorado so you know what I mean about the weather. Ever since my cervical problems, I'v had a problem with my arms getting cold so even in the summer I usually wear long sleeves, but this wind we have constantly and the chilly weather just keeps the body so cold that you feel like you're living in a refrigerator.

Thanks for commiserating, although I'm sorry you feel it too, I'm glad I'm not alone. For the first time in my life I've actually thought of moving from this most beautiful state to one that's warm all the time. Yuck.

Cathie
  • Cath have you considered talking to your GP about this? Alot of times thyroid or other "internal" things will cause you to feel cold.
  • That's a good point. I think I'll make an appointment with my PCP to go over a few things, this being one of them. Certainly can't hurt.

I'm still wondering if other spineys feel this way, if maybe it's our hardware and a normal thing we must deal with.
  • Do you have any of those footed pajamas? Not with the hood and bunny ears, but the adult size with the zipper in front?

I have been watching your weather on TV and all of the snow. Whenever I went skiing, I always wore those PJ's at night. They were particularly helpful if we rented a cabin and had to get up in the middle of the night. I know your house is very well insulated in comparison, but thought I'd toss out those pj's. When I would travel to Iowa with the kids, these were a must.

Since my surgery, I get overly cold too. I haven't asked if it is due to our hardware, but boy... I need to haul out the wool skiing socks at night now and thick sweat pants. I can't stand anything too thick on my upper body, due to hormones probably, but from where I had my fusion... I need it nice and warm. And girl, it isn't snowing here! It's supposed to be 80 degrees today, but the nights are getting cold.

Bundle up good and I hope that cold starts to go away real soon. Mike and I have had one hanging on for about 8 weeks now.

Take good care my friend,

Tammy >:D<

• Hiya Cathie...I do understand...Colorado is a beautiful state..we have been here for over 18 years but in Jan we are moving back to Bakersfield Ca and I cant wait to get away from the snow/cold!!!

It is sad to think of leaving but I am excited because I didnt hurt as bad when we went for a week back in July...and that was after 18+ hours in the car...:):)
  • Oh, Tammy, I've had my cold for 2-1/2 weeks and I though that was bad. I'm so sorry you both have been going through it for so long. Ack, I hope that's not what I have to look forward to. And I hope you're getting better - does it look like it's going to go away soon?

No, I don't have any footy PJs, but it's a good idea. I don't even know where to find them. LOL - I just have to laugh at the hood with the bunny ears. I could tuck those ears into the hood to keep my ears warm. What do you think people would say to themselves if I wore those when I take Wally for a walk? LOL

Mostly the snow is staying up in the mountains, but we've been having some horrendous wind (and it's no warm breeze, I can tell ya) and a few mini-blizzards blowing through. But it looks like the weekend is going to be in the 60s. Mmmmmmm.

Ok, I'm going to go bundle up and take Wally to the park for what I hope will be a very short walk and then come back and heat up an everything bagel with onion and chive cream cheese and a big glass of milk and read for a while. Then I might have to crawl back in bed and take a nap. What hubby doesn't know won't hurt him, right? :-)

Keep warm everybody. Brrrrrrrrrr.
    Cathie
  • I find that diet and exercise (coupled with the hot tub)do wonders in keeping me warmer. Since metabolism creates heat, if I eat meals made with red meat, I get warmer. Poultry on the other hand doesn't provide any warmth. Too many carbs and starch also seem to make things worse. Lunch of tuna salad sandwich and some hot soup seem to help and of course a nice cup of roasted coffee!

"C"
  • Hi Cathie,

You are definitely not alone, for some reason this fall I've been cold, my feet especially!

I don't have hardware so I can't respond there, but for someone that for most of my life, rarely if ever was cold, this is sooo weird.

We've been having a lot of wind here in NY, some rain, but today it's beautiful... and my feet are just now starting to feel like they aren't encased in ice, tho' they are still cold!

As today is a telecommuting day, I've been trying to con the cats into laying at the bottom of the bed and warm my feet! My old man (Maxie who is 15 and a half) is cool with it, but my half feral guy keeps trying to shove me off the heating pad (I'm umm... sitting on it! 8} ) He's a real wise guy... if I get up, he's on the heating pad in a flash and really complains (loudly!) when I try to get him off :D

I've been buying really really thick socks from places like Lands End, I try warming them up on the heater or under the pad for a few, then put them on and get under the blankie.

Sure hope you can find a way to warm up... being cold is the suck :( I would say, if your sunny spot is out of the wind, maybe you'd feel the warmth of the sun... or, you could always bring the portable heater out and benefit from both! :D

• "C", I have a very high metabolism and seem to be one of those people that have a hard time sitting still. However, I know that I'm not eating right because I just don't tend to when I'm alone all day. Like yesterday, I ate a bagel for breakfast and that was it until I made turkey sloppy joes for dinner. Hubby's been trying to stay away from red meat, so we don't eat much of that (unfortunately). I'm thinking that some cherry jello and hot chocolate is in my near future. (I could smell the delicious coffee the minute I read your sentence...mmmmmm....). I'll try to do better with the eating.

Clandy, nice to know I'm not alone, along with the others here. Lucky you having a telecommute day and staying in bed with at least one kitty on your feet and a hot pad. I took a nap on the couch with my big comfy blanket and Wally curled up next to me with my arm around him - that was toasty.

Nice idea on warming up the socks - I could use my clothes dryer. I also have big thick socks that I just love and hubby gave me some of his that he thought were too thick so I have those on now.

As for sitting in the sun today, as usual the weatherpeople here suck - it's cloudy and windy out there.

Anyway, hope everyone is staying nice and warm.
    Cathie
  • There was a thread very recently where someone wondered if it was their hardware that kept them cold. I don't have any, so I can't say, lol. But, once reading this, I have noticed that my feet have been oddly cold this year. I hate wearing anything on my feet, especially socks, but I've been wearing my socks every day the past few weeks. Normally they would come off with my boots at the end of the day!
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Cathie this is normal for someone who has metal inside the body. before i stared having surgerys i didn't have any problems with chills,well after three surgerys i feel the same way you do .and to make thing worse i dont live in a cold state.i asked my doctor about it he said is normal and don't move out of state were is cold or snow cuz is going to be worse
  • Howdy Cathie!!

Being from South Florida, I am not use to cold weather, and here I am in an RV campground, and it is 47 and dropping, and I am roasting my hubby (I am just barely comfy) out of the RV! So not sure if its the hardware as mine is cervical for now - but I NEED to not only use the furnace to heat the RV, but *I* have our radiator heater right next to me - still chilly, but better! I'm with ya!

Oh...for the next 3 nights here (New Braunfels, Texas) it is suppose to go to the mid 30's / 60-70 for a day time high - and I am wearing a jacket where everyone around me just has a sweater on! :)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Cathie,

I'm normally a warm-blooded person, wearing short sleeves and no coat outside while my hubby is in long underwear, but for the last year or so I've cooled down to about his temperature. THEN I had my PLIF at the end of September and was FREEZING cold for the first 5 weeks, or so. I was in the shower sometimes 3 times a day, running hot water over me just to get comfortable. Would be sitting in front of the wood stove with a sweater on and a blanket over me. It was a miserable time! I've warmed up to my pre-surgical temp now and am thankful for that!

The surgery absolutely had something to do with my temperature change (blood work for thyroid is normal) but I don't think it had anything to do with my hardware. I've had titanium in my knee since last spring and was never cold like I've been since this surgery. image I expect that the bug you've been fighting has a lot to do with you being cold, but checking with your PCP would be a good idea, it seems.

Linda

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Last winter I purchased an electric blanket that has this safe and warm technology. It has a 1-10 setting and turns off after 10 hours. I got it out of the closet a couple of weeks ago, and am loving it. I didn't think that it would interest me, since the summer in the Deep South was obscenely hot, but I am loving it. Every morning I take it down to the family room and use it all day on the sofa. I have never had a recliner, but since I'm pretty much in the bed most of the time, I went ahead and bought one last week. I can't wait to lie back in the recliner with my "blankie"...

I turn it on 10 to warm it up and then before I go to sleep I turn it down to 4-5. My legs/feet are seriously numb, and they feel frozen, and my back aches and throbs, so it helps with that also.

I'm pleased.

Lisa
  • I live close to Palm Springs Calif. and on the local news last night the weather man said;
    If your going out tonight be sure to bundle up because it's going to get down to a "bone chilling" 40 degrees.
    do you think 40 degrees is "bone chilling"?
    URL removed
    Spam link not allowed. Removed by authority member, Cath111.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    Ever since I have had hardware in my neck I get the same way. In the winter I always have a scarf wrapped around my neck inside and outside. I have a heating pad mattress that covers my whole bed and sleep with the settings the highest it will go. Without it I would not be able to get up in the morning. It really helps my joints from getting stiff. You can buy throw blankets with heating pads built in. I would throw one on the couch, chair or anywhere you normally sit. Everyone in my family looks at me like Im crazy when I say my metal is getting cold. I have no doubt that is what causes my chills.
    Susan
  • I'd say that from everyone here and elsewhere that I've talked to, it's 50/50 as to whether our hardware retains the cold. I can understand more the lumbar hardware as it's much closer to the outside of my body, but not sure about the cervical hardware. It's tucked in there pretty good.

I wish someone could do a definitive testing to see if this is actually true. Hubby told me last night that if I'm this way now, what's going to happen when it gets below zero?

Who knows? All I know is I'm freezing and have a hard time staying warm. I can GET warm, I just can't seem to stay that way!

But at least I'm not alone in this. Thanks for sharing your stories and thoughts on this. We may never know the truth about our hardware, but I'm determined to find some kind of literature regarding it.

Cathie
  • Have you ever tried those thermal sticky pads that are supposed to stay warm for 8 hours? I did buy some for my neck, but they always scratched me, but I wonder about the pads for lower back...
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Hope you're warming up with that hot chocolate and hot chicken or any kind of soup. I don't have hardware so don't know if that gets cold for you. But I recently had a few months of sweating and feeling so cold. Whatever it was it's resolving now for me. I know when you're sick and sweating you need to get out of those clothes and get fresh warm ones on. I was sick once for 6 weeks and I think it had to be the flu for me after my first flu shot I got though it must have been a coincidence to get the flu at the same time I got a flu injection. But I think you're body is fighting to stay warm and giving you the cold chills. I hope you get over this soon and feel better. I do agree though to get checked out by your Dr. as Kris mentioned. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • And a dollar short, as usual.

If you think hardware makes you cold, add in an SCS.

The normally pleasant vibrations remind me of chills! Arg!!!

I have a heated mattress PAD, so no blanket to contend with. The problem is I can turn the thing to 10 and it still only just keeps me warm, my wife uses 1-3 :?

So we thought it was a defective pad on my side since I have used it constantly for years, we rotated it. Made no difference at all, I still feel barely warm at 10, my wife still can't stand more than 1-3!

My MIL has compression fractures and oseteoporosis, so we bought her a mattress pad last year for Christmas, she LOVES it!

I'd used the heated blankets before, but I really prefer this pad.

Without the pad, I'd be lost. Well, I think I could get Shadow puppy to sleep against me without the pad, but with it on it is too hot for him to! poor puppy.
  • You are crazy indeed! HA-HA, just kidding! No, you aren't, I get so cold too, then take a boiling hot bath and look like a lobster, then pile on the warm clothes and three pair of winter socks - sometimes even in summer! My husband thinks I'm just crazy, but I feel chilled and cold inside and out. Right now, we have 11 for a high today so it really is that cold out - but normally not. You aren't crazy at'all. Just one of the fun little side effects from pain or nerve damage I think.
  • I got these down booties from Restoration Hardware that were wonderful for my cold feet, but I went back for another pair and heard they sold out. Oh well, thanks for reminding me to pull out that heated blankie.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.