Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Not sure what to do now....

brokenbrianbbrokenbrian Posts: 69
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Chronic Pain
Ive posted on the back surgery forum a few times but this is my first post here, so I will give a quick bit of background.

Im 25 years old and have been in pain for about 3.5 years now. I tried everything in those past 3 years and finally was told time for surgery.

So on 7/19/10 I had a microdiscetomy on L5/S1. It was about a 8mm bulge before surgey and I had severe left foot pain with hardley any back pain for over a year. Well the miro d did not work for me and about 2 months later I got an MRI that showed a 5mm bulge. So 2 months of decompression on a DRX9000 machine at 3 times a week. I get another MRI and now Im down to a 3mm bulge.

Thats good news, but unfortuantly thats about as far as I can go with the program. So Ive seen the surgeon a few times and he says its not bad enough to go for another surgery. MRI shows it is barely hitting the nerve. Yet I am still in a good amount of pain, and I dont know how much of it is from nerve damage that will hopefully go away.

Next week I start PT and then they turn me loose and thats it for me. Ill be stuck with a 3mm bulge and pain and not only will I no be able to do some of the things a 25 year old should be able to, but I know it will just start to get worse and worse.

Any ideas?

• Have you tried a medication for nerve pain, like Neurontin or Lyrica?
  • i would go along to P/T and do the exercises, also has your surgeon sugested a nerve med, as this may well give relief too
    as you have this weak area now , talk to your P/T about lifestyle modifications, such as no lifting of heavy weight, no twisting
    you may find that doing the specific exercises is something you incorperate into your daily routine , along with some lifestyle modification and you may get some more improvement
    give it a try
    if things become worse, there are other options
    take care
  • Have you had flexion extension x-rays to check for spinal instability?

Also getting a second opinion would be a good idea.

Hang in there,

• Ive had a few opinions now and everyone says the same so far.

I havent asked too much about any medication, I really dont want to be on it for the rest of my life. And Im afraid if I feel good but the problem is still there I will make it worse.

I have changed my lifestyle. I have a desk job now which I cant stand and for the last year I havent had to do anything physical, and yet with all the treatment I have been doing, its only gotten slightly better.

But I guess I should look more into the nerve pain meds. And hopefully they will help and I wont be on them for too long.

I know there are many many people out there that have it much worse than me. But Ive been doing some sort of treatment before and after surgery almost non-stop for 2 years. And I just cant get better.

1 thing is they say its not impinging the nerve, but its right up against it, and I definently still have nerve pain. Its just frusturating not knowing if the pain is still from the nerve or if I have any permanent damage.
  • JulieA said:
    Have you had flexion extension x-rays to check for spinal instability?

Also getting a second opinion would be a good idea.

Hang in there,

No I havent. I didnt even know that was something they checked for. I will have to ask someone about it.
  • Hello Brian!! Yes it is a scary thought to be on perscription drugs for the rest of your life...I think most of us have had that worry!! But anything that will reduce your pain is a good thing, you just have to be careful and listen to what the Drs tell you!!
This discussion has been closed.