Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Opinions about MRI

csccs Posts: 11
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I understand that you aren't doctors and anything you say is opinion. So could you give me your opinion please? I have an appointment to see the orthopedic doctor in two weeks but I'm trying to figure out what the heck is on my MRI while I wait.

Here are my MRI pictures - any opinion of what the heck those black areas are? There are arrows and captions below the pictures.

I'm wondering if it's a fragement or fracture or something else???

• We are not suppose give our opinions. Nice pictures though :) You should be able to obtain the report from where ever it is you got the MRI. Just call them in advance of your worried they wont give ot to you. Tell them you need it for your personal medical records.

What are your symptoms?

• Politely none of us would comment. These are pictures on a web. Regardless of how good they are, you need to look at them face to face, so to speak. Your Dr is the best source of info!

Besides - The thing to recall is that we can be frightened of the truth - or a mistake. That is why I would never comment.

Heck - there is a Dr in the house, but even he just wants to be treated like the rest of us, a Chronic Pain person, trying to get through life and having success.
  • My symptoms are pain. Sometimes it radiates into the back of my head and sometimes there's buring in the shoulders/arms.

I know that I have an herniated disc at C5-6 with some spinal cord compression. I know that I have foraminal stenosis. I just have no idea what the black thing on the disc is.

The radiology report said no changes since my last MRI 3 years ago. Herniated disc and stenosis back then. No mention of the black area, which is actually new.

The PM doc, who order this MRI, told me to go to an Orthopedic doc for a follow up.

I have no doctor, no pain releif, and no answers for the next two weeks.
  • Centurion45 said:
    Besides - The thing to recall is that we can be frightened of the truth - or a mistake. That is why I would never comment.
    I've already thought of a tumor, bleeding, fracture, fragmented disc. But everything I compare it to picture wise, doesn't look like what I have. It's a long 2 weeks till my doctor appointment.
  • OK - I can certainly sympathize with you. The laughable thing that happened to me, regarding a black spot on the slide, was the Dr looking at me, and telling me that someone forgot to clean off the table beneath. There was a picture of something on one of my slides. He just slipped it back in the pack. I never did see it, and he looked kind of embarrassed. Maybe he was thinking that he should have looked at them first, before having me around?

Since you may not have any idea what it really is for awhile, maybe imagine that it is the spot that is healing.

My uncle had cancer for 9 years. With all that he lived through, he kept telling himself, that those places were where his body was fighting to fix itself. He was given 3 months to live. He actually enjoyed the 9 years, really only being ill, the last month.

None of us can ID anything, but the mind is quite powerful. We can think our self sick and then back to being healthy. That is why I imagine the white blood cells of the body as little Ambulances running around!

Stay positive! And I know that is hard.

• Thank you Centurion45.

I'm most concerned that I might have a fracture and should be in a neck brace or something. I'd hate to think that I could do more damage in the two weeks I have to wait to see the doctor.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I have learned if something really serious shows up on my MRI my doctor calls me instead of waiting for my appointment. I would personally call and get a copy of my report instead of waiting the 2 weeks before my appointment. The wait would drive me crazy!!!