Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

question on SSD

blazerblazer Posts: 785
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I got letter from SSD today,
Telling me i meet the medical requirments for disability payments.
Also saying we have not made a decision yet about whether i meet the non-medical requirments, but they will make that decision soon.
Then on last page they determined i am disabled, but it did not begin until 10/05/10 (which is my 55th birthday).
I filed on 8/19/10,
I got hurt 9/16/09, went on lite duty til my surgery date of 3/19/10, and been home since.
Does this mean a favorable decision, but they are contesting the date that it start's???

Anyone seen something like this before?

Thanks in advance.

• Blazer,
    I'm doing 3 things here.

1st, I'm guessing. Guessing that you meet the guidelines for medically disabled for a person at age 55. The guidelines change with age.

2nd, I'm posting on this to bring it up to the top of the page for recent post. Surely someone with more experience and knowledge in this area will come along and comment soon.

3rd, and most Importantly, I'm saying it looks like some bittersweet congratulations may be in order. It sounds like you may have a favorable decision on it's way. (I do hope that's true, as sad as it is to have to go that way to begin with.)
  • Thank you!
    Yup i think it's saying i'm approved, but they are gonna put the in effect date at 10/05/10.
    Gonna call lawyer in the morning, cause can't figure out why they would'nt just approve it from date of surgery. Considering i've been off since then.

Obviciously either way i'll take it, but it would mean a lot of back pay if they go to surgery date.
    O well i'm sure the lawyer can explain this then i'll post it tomorrow.

Thanks again.
  • Blazer, that's pretty much what my letter said also. However, the lady who handled my stuff at the local SS office also called me with the decision so I was able to ask her questions. In my case, I filed last Oct 21st and the last day I worked was Oct 31st 2006. they found me disabled but only paid me two months back benefits because even though I hadn't worked in 3 years, there was ZERO documentation of my medical problems until just about 6 months before I filed. She was the one who reccommended that I ask for back pay from Oct 2006 so maybe thats why she called me, I don;t know. She said I could appeal but I didn't because I know they were correct, there was NO proof of my condition that far back. In the end I guess I saw it as a mixed blessing - I didn't get much of a lump sum but my case only took 4 months to reach a decision that was in my favor.

Congratulations on receiving good news!

• Thanks; i think i understand it now.
    I also remember reading something about the 6 month wait, but at the time of posting this that never crossed my mind.
    My head was still spinning about the apparent approval.
    Congrats to you on getting your's also.
    It also showed the doctor's who submitted reports to SSD, and the dates received. I had 5 doctor reports, including the work comp. doctor. And i know she was pulling for me. The last time i seen her, in 11/09, she gave me her cell phone # and told me to call her if i needed anything. So gonna have to call her and thank her.
    Again; Thank you for your reply.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    If they are determining you became disabled in March (surgery) then you have a five full month waiting period of April, May, June, July and August and then benefits would begin September 1st.

But, if they are still looking at the non-medical side then they are looking to see when you last worked, your work history before that to make sure you had sufficient credits, etc.

So, if they see you stopped working in September 2009 then they may apply the five month waiting period of Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, and Feb and then March 2010 would be the earliest SS could begin IF they find medical to support it back to your the first day you went out of work. If you received any payment like lump sum vacation pay, etc, beyond September 2009 be sure your attorney knows that so they can explain that money received from your employer after Sept 2009 was not earned income but rather pay out of benefits due.

The reason all this analysis happens is some people may get laid off in Sept 2009 and be 100% fine but have a severe illness begin in Dec 2009 so the clock starts counting from the date there is medical to prove disability. Most of us work and then go out when we become disabled but for others disability happens after they are laid off or were out of work by choice (i.e. stay at home parent)
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Thanks; so if i'm understanding you correct, it's because i was on lite duty, during that time i was doing the consertive treatments,that work comp. wants.Before they approved the surgery. They are checking on that for the actual date SSD will start.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    If you were on light duty be sure your attorney understands when it started and that it was due to your disability. If you were earning more than $1000/mo you may be above SS "gainful activity" so that is not a month they can use in the 5 months waiting period.

When did you last work at all?
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • My last day at work was 3/17/10, surgery was on 3/19. And when i was on lite duty i was making more then that a month.
    I could have pushed the issue and got off of lite duty, but you know how work comp. likes to play. And i have company paid insurance, it's in our union contract that they have to keep paying my benefits for 1 year after you go off on a injury ar illness, so i stayed on lite duty to extend the time they paid for my insurance, due to the fact, my daughter was gonna need 2 more eye surgeries. And had to make sure that was all done before i got to the 1 year mark.

Thank you again.