Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The "Shaking" wont stop....

PollyRPPollyR Posts: 411
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello Everyone....
As most of you know I injured my neck and upper bck a few days ago....ER Dr said I "Strained" my whole back from the X-Rays. I have yet to be seen by a regular Dr...so no other tests as of yet!

My question for all of you knowledgable people is this....

My hands and arms have been shaking constantly since the injury....it has been like 3 or 4 days....in your opinions ( cause I know we cant give out medical advice!! ) is that a strange thing?? Have any of you had this happen?? Just dont want to feel alone or crazy!!

Thank you all in advance:)

• Did you have x-rays on your neck after you car accident? I was involved in an accident and we hit two people who ran in front of our car and witnessed by police thanks goodness as they were jay running and came out from behind an SUV. I couldn't stop shaking even going to work 2 days after that. I think it was adrenalin in my case but if you have neck issues or pain you should get x-rays or MRI done if you're having pain. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hello Charry....wow I bet that was a very diffecult situation to get through!! I am so sorry!!

The ER did x-rays from top to bottom and saw no broken bones thank God but the shakes have not let up and the pain is out of this world!! Neck, shoulder, arm and hand are hurting...and my fingertips are numb...:(

I am waiting for the Dr to call me to set up my apt but no call yet....so I wait!!
  • Polly, why don't you go back to the ER and have them look at you while you wait to get into the MD?

If the pain is intense and your shaking (does it feel like nerve zaps), maybe they have a better doctor on call who can order the MRI? At the very least they should be able to get you a better med to stop the shaking.

Also keep calling the doctor on the appt. They need to know it is an emergency for you.

• Hey Lady ( Julie ) I am a little concerned at this point...looks like I will have to go the whole weekend..:( I havent heard from them yet...

I am trying everything I can to avoid the ER again...I hate that place!! It kinda does feel like electricity...it is hard to describe....I am able to move my head a bit just now and when I did it sounded like loud "rice crispies" in there and it made the pain worse...I wont be doing that again...the sound was sickening sounding!!!

How are you doing today Sweety?? Feeling any better? Is it nice to have the hubby back home?? Thank you for talking with me the other day on FB...you are an angel!!
  • Hi Polly, I too think you should go back if you can't get in to your doctor quickly. I do have anxiety issues, so I shake a lot from that, but I also shake when my pain is spiked, so it could be that, too, for you. Either way, you need to have your pain under control, it sounds like a legitimate reason to go back to the ER. I've had the same thing happen to me, too, what you described above, that crunching sound and extreme pain after, it's not fun too say the least. Hope you get the control over your pain you need, and that you get in to see your reg doc quick! When you do go (notice I didn't say "if", lol) let them know that your doctor's office hasn't got back to you yet for an appt, but you need to get the pain under control, and mention the shaking to them as well. It could be just about anything, when dealing with the spine!! Hope your pain subsides soon!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Polly,

Howdy woman!! On your shaking, (I know you already said it was electric-y feeling), is it rhythmic? Another question for you, does the intensity of it change with you changing your position? If it is, can you duplicate it?

Similar to Charry, after I crashed my helicopter, and more so when I realized how close I came to not making it, I shook (mainly in the arms and hands) for 2 or 3 days - I think my adrenaline was going spastic!

Now if you can change it by positions, you might want to hit the ER again, and like Julie, you need to let the ER know it is YOUR emergency. If it is bilateral too, there might be some issue going on with a disk on the cord. Me? If I didn't feel it was nervous nerves (like still scared from the accident), I would go back to the ER and make it clear to them you feel something is wrong. Please keep us posted woman! Support *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Morning Brenda....well tomorrow night will be a week...wow how time does not fly when you are hurting ;). I still have the shakes...I notice I shake more when I am sitting up compaired to laying down...how crazy is that?? I still cant turn my head much and I have noticed that my head kind of starts leaning forward while I am sitting and trying to relax...I cant put my head back much so I have been using straws to drink with...Hubby was making fun of me...:) He always makes me smile:).

If the Dr does not call me today I might have hubby take me back to ER...I just dont wanna go!!
  • Hello Kelly....well the shaking continues....I dont feel stressed but these shakes almost feel like my nerves are trying to jump out of my body...Very unnerving feeling!!

I am hoping that today will bring a call from the Dr....I looked up the Drs website and they dont believe in meds too much...but at this point I just want so me relief!!

My Hubby was trying to rub my back last night, he is soo sweet, and he asked me....does that feel ok?? I told him it felt good....it hurt but he was being too sweet for me to tell him that!! :):)

I will keep you all posted...hopefully with good news!!
  • Hello again Brenda...LOL...

I forgot to tell you that I figured out what makes the shakes worse!! I have 3 dogs and they really like to take the stuffing out of thier toys.....well I was squatting, not bending!, to pick up the stuffng and when I raised back up I noticed that the shakes were MUCH worse for about an hour or so after this!! I dont really know what that means....:)
  • Polly,

A few years ago before they moved my Ulnar in my elbow and hand, I decided to help the hubby get vines off of our fence. I used the snippers, and then only on the thinner vines. I didn't have any pain, just a little "tired" feeling in my arm. My hubby brought us out a beer, and as I tried to raise the beer with my right hand, it shook so uncontrollably that I spilled some of it (from the can)! I switched the beer to my left hand, and no problems there.

I bring this up Polly because even though I knew I had nerve problems - was only a few weeks from surgery and this happened. After about 4 hours, my arm had settled down. When I told my doctor of this, he basically told me that I irritated a nerve that was already entrapped and irritated. Fortunately I didn't incur any further damage.

If your doctor doesn't get back to you, as was suggested, you really might want to go to the ER, as your shakes are pretty spread out. Please let us know how it goes! *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.