Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Myelogram tomorrow 11/22

virginiapvvirginiap Posts: 508
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi all my fellow Spineys!

I am having my Myelogram tomorrow morning! As many of you know my recovery from my ALIF on 8/24/10 has been, well kind of rough and sprinkled with lots of little complications. You may also now that I opted to fuse only one level L4-5, which was completely gone and the leave 2 other levels that were pretty bad alone. Maybe a mistake, who knows? Two surgeons said to fuse 2 levels and another procedure on the 3rd level. My discogram was screwed up rendering it somewhat equivocal.

Post op pain has been so much worse then preoperatively, meds are 3 times what they were and I am unable to work. I have seen some small progress and I know am blessed so please know I am not really complaining here, just sharing.

My brilliant NS really has just all but blew me off, partly because I went to a pm doc 2.5 weeks post op as my meds were a mess and he was just not providing the after care that I needed. Also, he is very disappointed in my progress, my 7 week check up, he just kept shaking his head at me in disbelief! (he also blew off my low grade fever complaints & urinary problems for weeks!) He was not even interested (at that point, in all fairness) in exploring what was happening to me. He knew better then anyone my spine issues but it felt as if he only cared about the level he fused (and the extraordinary fusion he did). It was a sad and disappointing visit for my husband & I as well

My pm doc set up my Myelogram with a different NS (my operating NS is not involved, I feel like I'm cheating on him LOL!). As I have posted a 100 times my pm doc has truly taking my recovery & health into his hands. I thank god for him & his guidance that has got me through the last 2 months.

Ok, so the covert black op Myelogram is tomorrow, the NS performing the procedure has opted to put me under anesthesia, to minimize my suffering. I am a little scared of the spinal headache thing! NS told me he will keep me in post op for a minimum of 5 hours to watch for th headache or any other complications. I am praying this goes uneventful but provides some answers as to why I am such a mess.

I kindly ask ny SH family to pray and or keep me in their thoughts tomorrow. I need lots of positive energy!

Thanks for your support!

• My Prayers are with you Honey!! Please let us know how it goes and what they find!!!!!
  • Sorry to hear about your doc and pain problems.Don't worry about the myelo,it really isn't all that bad.I think the headache thing only happens to a small percentage of people.

Praying all goes smoothly for you
  • I absolutely will add you to my prayer list and I am glad to hear that your PM doctor is taking such good care of you.

I hope all goes well for you tomorrow.

• Hope all goes well tomorrow for you Virginia, and that they will learn why you are still in pain.

We'll be here, waiting to hear how it goes. :H

Gentle hugs >:D<
  • It's almost 5:30 pm, & nerves are starting to set in! I appreciate all your kind words, prayers & well wishes.

Berg, you had your results next day?

• Yes I saw my doc the next day and he went over the results with me.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    and will say a prayer for you. Mine is comming up fast!
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I wish you the best of luck tomorrow and hope it gives you the answers to your problems. I was a nervous wreck before my myelogram too and the test itself wasn't nearly as bad as I feared. I did have some problems but they are rare but didn't have that terrible headache some experience. Just follow your doctors orders and also drink a lot of water and caffienated drinks. Let us know how it goes.

Good luck,
  • Good luck tomorrow, and I hope it provides you with some much needed answers.

• Gosh, times a ticking, I got like 40 minutes or so before the NO EAT DRINK after midnight, I'm not hungry, but feel like I should be raiding the fridge, LOL.

Debbie, I hope your complications were not too serious!

Jim, let me know when yours is scheduled for and I promise to give you the skinny on mine, or at least the parts I'm awake for.

Berg, that's great you got your results that fast, my follow up is not till the 30th! I hope I dont have to wait all that time! I am also seeing my operating NS on the 29th for my 3 month, I would love to know the results before I see him.

Thanks again everone! God bless!

• Will be thinking of you today. Prayers for you that you receive the answers that you need. Great that you have a wonderful pain doc looking out for you.
    >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Hope everyhing goes well, I'll keep my fingers crossed!

• you virginia, hope all goes well

go the " covert op" you gotta do what you gotta do

hopefully some answers
    sending you positice healing energy
    please let us know how you got on
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I hope you're doing ok after your myelogram. Please let us know how it went as soon as you feel up to it. Be sure to take it easy for a couple of days and drink lots of water.

• Made it through, whew!
    Was not as bad as my botched up discogram,but I have been laying in bed since Monday.
    NO spinal headache!
    I have been dizzy and feeling off, with a small persistent headache, probably from the anesthesia. I am glad I was not awake for it

My back is sore and I've been on & off ice packs. I finally feel grounded enough to grab my phone & post. I don't have the results, I have a follow up - my 3 Month - on Monday with my surgeon, Tuesday I see the NS who did the Myelogram. I really want the results before I see my surgeon.

My pm doc's called to check on me yesterday afternoon and was going to call the NS & see if my results were in.

Thank you to all for your well wishes, once I get results, I'll post again.