Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Don't Understand What's Occuring

LotusLLotus Posts: 88
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Chronic Pain
My Doctor put me on some new pain meds about a month ago and boy did it help. The knawing pain down my legs stopped and it dulled my lower back pain and help with the burning sensation at the base of my ribs. So after a year of pain I was feeling petty good. Then.......

Thursday decided to go and watch my friend at a dressage competition. 20 minute drive and standing for an hour or so (not too much). Afterward I started to feel a little odd, lightheaded. I took a short walk over to the office to get the score and suddenly I had a searing pain like someone had put a clamp around my hips and embarassingly I hit the deck (was good and muddy too!). Couple of people came to help me up, I could have curled up and died I was so embarrased. Anyway, got up and made it to the car managed to get home by hanging on the steering wheel like my life depended on it. Got home put on an ice pack and laid down for 2 hours and all seemed well.

By Friday morning just the dull ache, but over the last 3 days this has progressed to burning across my hips right up my spine to the middle of my shoulder blades. Still taking my pain meds but it won't go away.

Have I just over done it? Am I stressing more than I think about my surgery next Monday and doing this to myself? Just really confused :/

• Sigh, dressage. I miss my horse :(

You should probably contact your doctor if this is a new symptom!

• I'm with HB on this, contact your doctor. The meds don't sound like the culprit as you had been on them for a month or so.

Are you still light headed or dizzy, perhaps it was your diet that day?

So sorry about your fall. Stress always sets off episodes with me, best of luck next week with your surgery, I hope it is successful and relieves your pain.

• Is this the first time your legs gave out on you, and did you feel them going or was it sudden? I'm sorry to be asking questions instead of providing answers, but this sounds like a serious matter to me, and I agree with the others in that you should address this issue with your Dr. or surgeon.

In your signature line you mention that much of your spine was/is (?) dehydrated,perhaps that has something to do with your fall, but I would certainly not count on my guess as a possible reason as this is, or could be too serious a concern.I'm sorry this happened and can empathise with how you must have felt.I sure hope this is nothing too serious, and hope you let us know what your Dr says.
  • Good of you to take the time to reply to my post.

I have had my legs "go" a couple of times before over the years. One time I was waiting on the platform on the London underground. It was rush hour and the platform was packed and I was at the front of the platform. As the train was coming my legs buckled and I started to fall towards the track. I man behind me grabbed me and pulled me back......he saved my life!

I will mail my surgeon today an see what he thinks.

HB, I miss it too. Was watching my freind ride MY horse! Pleasure and pain!!!

Thanks again :)
  • I put in a call to my surgeon this morning and he has come back to me. He is always very responsive and a lovely man made me feel better.

Told me not to panic. It seems the disk leakage into my back will be irritating my nerves and he feels this will at times break through the meds. I also went to see my chiro this morning and it seems my SI joint was totally stuck! She gently released it with with massage. Now I feel a bit sore but better and less worried.

Man that was a moment!!! Thanks again guys :D
  • OK, as long as your surgeon knows about the issue- it did sound like something like that to me, but I didn't want to be the one to diagnose you!

My dressage horse is 2 hours away right now. I have a lovely trainer taking care of him and he's been on the market, but it's tough to sell a horse right now :( I just can't believe I won't ride him ever again!
  • Lotus, so glad your chiro could fix your joint for you. Just wanted to say good luck with the surgery, and wish you a speedy recovery!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Hello Lotus I am very happy that you got that fixed up....SI joint pain is NO fun!!

Please keep us posted on your surgery!!
  • Thank you for your concern and support. I don't think I would have called my surgeon without a bit of a nudge. Tend to stick my head in the sand when it come to my back! I've been doing it for 20+ years!!!

HB, I have PM'd you.

Big >:D< and thanks to all
This discussion has been closed.