Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

always ..exhausted any ideas?

mrsblood312mmrsblood312 Posts: 14
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Depression and Coping
Hello Friends....hears todays battle,
Iam know Iam not new to this stuff, but Iam feeling so "extra" exhausted lately...and it starting to scare me..
Its so weird...and frankly unnerving...Since I went on medical leave (end of OCT)from a 40 teaching wk,it feels like each day geting longer , harder and more "uphill"
Iam not very holistic/ savy but....I on a wimp I added a liquid vitamin 12, extra calcuim and potassium....not a dent...I think its worse.!...anyone have an ideas for energy management during pain flares? Maybe the steriods and new amtriptyline are at the root of this.....but WOW...Just wondering if iam domed to lay here...feeling doggie do...& the life and fight left me for good this time..

Peace to all

• Hi :wave:

I have a few guesses. My first is the amtriptyline. I too am on it and it knocks me for a major loop or should I say loopy lol ;)

I finally got Dr to cut mine in 1/2 ( about 12.5 mg ) and I only take it at night. It still really helps even at this low dose.

The other guess would be much like me you went from work work work busy busy busy to - now what do I do with my time.

I find if I am kept busy - not puttering around the house lol but really busy I am good to go for a long while.

Maybe see if you can schedule yourself a busy day within your abilities and pain levels and see if you are still as tried?

Are you on other meds that can be doing this?

A lot of changes have happened in your life and our bodies & minds respond differently ;)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • My guess would be the same as MsHD...the ampriptlytine. My PM wanted to put me on it because I was not sleeping well. I ask hem what it was and he said, 'it makes you tired'. HUH? I did not take it.
    Steroids also do a number on me so I never take them either. I have a lot of problems with meds.

I use to be on a ton of meds but am now on 3. A muscle relaxer for bad cramps, pain pill's and BP meds and that is it. I feel so much better now, except for my pain.

I also get B12 injections once a month. The over the counter did not work for me. That really helps with energy.

Pain and depression seem to go hand in hand. Depression causes fatigue.

I am so very lucky I do not get depressed. I have lived with something far worse than chronic pain so my pain is a piece of cake compared to what I have lived through.

I am sorry I do not have more to offer. Have you had your hormones screaned, and your B6 checked? You may want to ask your PCP to check those for you. Just a thought.
    Cheers :H
    Patsy W
  • Hello,
    We all have time when we feel we have no energy and any change make s us feel worse, the key is to pace well and use an alternative strategy when these pain flares arrive, I know it is frustrating doing nothing but you are managing you energy overall and this should give you some in the longer term.

Some of that inactivity can become behaviour and we do less we expect such, we have to find the right time when to push and when to rest, doing more than we are able in counter productive and only increases the pain that we may have some control.
    Do more of the things you can do and less of the things that make it worse if possible, keeping going is never easy.

Change your list of what you would like to do to what you have to do and let the pain itself determine your functional levels, compressing our old roles and responsibility into our new normal is never easy and sometime impossible know where your limitations are just for you make, build that feeling as if you have some control rather than not and just accepting what is given. You control it rather than it control you, many here continue with the depletion of energy every day and it does not get easier, to pan is our best strategy.

Give it some time and yourself a period to learn new and progressive ideas, focus on what you can do, I have had pain for 20 years every day has its eventful moments when my own energy just evaporates, you are doing a good job in changing circumstances and with some help, encouragement and support things will improve, time teaches about ourselves, what works and what does not for us as individuals.

Take care. John
  • When we head into winter here, each day gets a little harder to cope with. Things just seem to snowball, one event follows another, any other time of the year I can shake some of it off and get along. This time of year they stick to me like Velcro!

Ok, you might want to stop reading and get some coffee and get comfortable as this is going to take a while :D
    Today is particularly disheartening.
    My wifes birthday is coming up and while she gives me not a single clue to work from she expects presents, (even though she rarely gets me anything but money).
    Then Christmas hits and I have to find something else or I'm in the doghouse for that.

I forgot to get my Jeep inspected and now am driving it around without a sticker until they can work it in on Friday.

Took a shower this morning and ran out of hot water, which never happens. So, we asked my son how long he had been in his, 20-25 min, arggggg. I still feared the tank may finally be needing replaced as it is 20 years old. I checked the breaker and took Shadow out to play and told him when we went back in that I was sorry but I wanted to check the breaker properly before I left for work. My wife says, "oh, that is probably my fault I ran the dishwasher on pots and pans cycle at 3:00 am this morning! Son gets up at 6:15, do the math, no wonder the hotwater ran out!

Called both my Shrink and my PM as their appts clash, so they rescheduled the PM until December 30th. Rats, I really wanted to get some major adjustments made to this thing. But, it has to wait.

I feel like I am chewing on a stick of dynamite and it is about to explode, yet I am exhausted at the same time.

All this stuff should not amount to more than a hill of beans, yet they drive me right up the wall.

So, very, very, tired...
  • i would try and get in a couple of naps when you can.. they don't have to be very long, 30 to 45 minutes is usually enough for a nap! i don't sleep much and take them night and day, whenever i can fit one in and feel like sleeping... just a thought! i do hope you are feeling more up and about soon. Jenny :)