Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5/S1 post-op still feel pain in butt - for how long??

MESMMES Posts: 16
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I'm just two weeks post-op from a discectomy for a compressed nerve at L5/S1. Nerve was compressed for about 7 weeks prior to having the surgery (I reherniated it out of the blue and tried a few things, nothing worked, so I had the surgery). My butt still hurts - too painful/uncomfortable to sit for longer than a few minutes - anyone out there experience the same thing after surgery and, if so, how long did it take till you were able to sit on your bottom comfortably?

• Hi MES,
    Sorry to hear you still hurt. It seems that just 2 weeks is fairly short to see total improvement. You may have forgotten how long the 1st surgery rehab period was. I remember that I was told not to sit for more than 10-15 min.s for the first few months after surgery. For me, rehab was most important even though I thought: "what was walking around in a pool really going to do?". (Along with electro-stim, heat-cool packs, and anti-inflammitory meds).
    I was forced to rehab for 3 months and kept a chart with: Pain level just before the therapy session, Pain level just after, and Pain level 2 hours after. Almost every time the pain level decreased after the therapy session. I continued pool rehab on my own, after that.
    As for the pain, it took me two months before it subsided then I restrained it by doing to much and that took another 2 months to get back to where I was. Again for me, rehab was and still is the key. Best of Luck.
    Hope this helps,

No MD here, just personal experience.