Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Op

RGTRRGT Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi everyone I just had a c-4 c-5 acdf November 17Th 2010. does anyone know when the fatigue passes? I am still in quite a bit of pain not in my arm and shoulder anymore but in the back of my neck and the base of my skull I was wondering if that was normal. My thumb is still numb but they say that may take some time to pass. My throat was really sore but that seems to be passing my voice is still a little horse as well.

• Welcome to SH forum. RGT, surgery takes it out of you...just take it easy, don't over do it and you'll feel more energy before you know it. The pain meds also have an impact on energy. I'm a newbie too...but you'll get some seasoned vets to chime in for sure.

Be well,
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Welcome to Spine-health.

I'm seven weeks post op ACDF C5-6 and still feel worn out most of the time. It doesn't take a lot to make me feel exhausted still. I can't believe how much this surgery has reduced my energy but I'm sure it's normal. You're still very early in recovery so it'll just take time. I find that walking, even when I feel to tired, actually helps my energy. Also as cgm said the pain meds can really zap your energy too. Especially muscle relaxers.

My NS said the pain in the back of neck is normal post op and will lessen. Mine is much better these days. Try to be patient. It does get better all the time.

• Thank you for your kind words
  • I appreciate your Comments. Thank you
  • exhausted when I do something. Today I took a shower, took 6 items out of the clothes dryer and put some garbage in a bag and that was it.

• RGT,

A hearty Welcome to Spine Health! I've had 2 cervical fusions and nerve relocations in my elbow and hand. I too found that for around 3 weeks I was tired, "down" (but not depressed), just no real want to do anything. I think the anesthesia and all the drugs the Anesthesiologist pumps into us totally messes with our hormone balance. The body has a lot of good and bad reactions to various hormone levels. You're just at a week out, so chances are, this will lesson over time. Oops, you also have to remember that spine surgery is serious surgery, and so your body did suffer a pretty hefty trauma that it is reacting too via healing and such - that too takes energy.

I'll probably have to undergo a revision plus another level, so I will ready myself for the "bummed out stage" after surgery ... again! (G) Please let us know how it goes. And again, Welcome aboard!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thank you so much and good luck on your next procedure I hope all goes well. Pretty much everyone that has had spine surgery seems like they have more spine trouble down the road. Is this true for everyone?
  • RGT said:
    Thank you so much and good luck on your next procedure I hope all goes well. Pretty much everyone that has had spine surgery seems like they have more spine trouble down the road. Is this true for everyone?
    Thanks. :) I know with me, my level failures are a result of the same areas targeted when I crashed. I was young and springy when that crash happened, but I do feel that my disks became predisposed to fail - which is what they are doing.

I'm not so sure that "everyone" has the same situation after surgery. I have some friends who have fusions over 10-15 years, and no further problems. So it isn't a "given" that you will have more issued "due" to the fusion. Remember too, once you are fused, the loading and dynamics of your spine changes forever.

• Im sorry to hear about the accident you had. I am 34 and a life long labor worker I guess my health problems are self inflicted with the types of work I have done Im a landscaper and my ns told me to consider a different line of work I have a pin in my left shoulder from a torn labrum surgery carpel tunnel in both hands and two bad knees and now a plate and 4 screws in my neck. If I stay in this line of work I probably will have further problems.Life sure does change quickly.
  • Thanks - stuff happens as they say! :)

I fully agree with you in that our lives activities do have an affect on our bodies over time. Another train of thought (someone else stated it somewhere on here) is that our spines and really other body parts weren't designed to live as hard and as long as we do now a days. The life expectancy has increased over the years thanks to modern medicine, and too us being more conscious of doing things that are good for us (diet, exercise, rest etc.)

Now you're younger than I, so more likely you are as you are from your work. Landscaping doesn't look very spine friendly to me! Me, 11 years of gymnastics, military, crashing (also hit twice by drunks), flying and arresting people - also not spine friendly in the long run! (G)

• Hey, I know your resting and doing the right things to ensure great healing......just a shout out to say hi and hope your feeling better each day. Shoot us a line and give us an update on your recovery.
  • Hello everyone hope everyone is doing well. I'm getting some better just some weird sharp pains between my shoulder blade and left arm. Some pain in the back of my neck and some head aches. But I guess that comes with the territory. I hope everyone had a nice holiday.