Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C5 C6 Hemilaminectomy

Josh142JJosh142 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am a 33 yr old college wrestling coach that was injuried during practice. I have had an MRI and have seen a neuro surgeon that is recomending doing a hemilaminectomy to my C5 C6. Just curious what anyone has to say about this type of surgery. I am nervous about surgery because I still want to be able to participate in practice after surgery and I am wondering what the prognosis is after this type of surgery. Any help or experiences would be great. Josh

• Hello Josh and Welcome to Spine-health!!

I dont know much about the cervical area of the spine, just had mine injured. I know you will get alot of responses because this is a wonderful, caring and supportive site!!!

Just wanted to welcome you and say HI!! :)
  • Welcome to Spine Health!!! None of us are doctors, as this side of the site is comprised of nerve/spine patients. Each of us is different in how we recover from spine surgery. Things like....

Nature of the injury.
    How trapped (and for how long) a nerve is.
    Fast or slow damage to the cord or exit nerve.
    Surgical technique (mistakes happen)
    Your bodies healing ability.

As to activities post op, that will depend on many things like I posted above, and too how you heal. I retired 6 months ago (pilot/law enforcement) due to nerve damage (not caused by the surgery), but we use to host the Blue Knights (Army sky diving team), and half of them have had at least one level fused, and are jumping full gear! So you probably won't know until the surgery and healing time occurs. Your doctor might be able to give you more "%" facts of course. Please keep us posted on how it goes. Again, Welcome aboard!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I had this surgery done on Dec. 13, 2010. I am a little over 5 weeks in recovery. I had spinal stenosis and also foriminal stenosis. When my NS went in he found out I had spurs at each level and had more foriminal than he thought. I was in the hospital for 3 days and had drains on each side of my incision.
    I still have pain in my arms if I am up to long, my neck gets stiff and my shoulders feel like they are drawing toward my neck (very stiff). I am trying to walk, but with snow/ice storm, that has been difficult. When I do walk I hurt more. I also have numbness in both hands with the thumb and first two fingers. I did not have this before surgery. I hope when I have completely healed I will be much better.
    Right now I have to listen to my body and stop when I start hurting.