Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Freaking out!

LisaRachelLLisaRachel Posts: 286
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone,

I got my MRI results today.

Routine lumbar spine MRI with gadolinium was performed.

There is an old burst fracture of the L2 vertebral body which is
chronic in appearance. There is some enhancing tissue extending
from the superior endplate fracture cleft into the L1-2 disc. The
fracture appears solidly united with no residual bone marrow edema
in the vertebral body. There is mild bony retropulsion from the
superior endplate without significant canal compromise or nerve
impingement. There is evidence of previous hardware which was
removed. Superior endplate compression fracture T11 without bony

I did not know that I had a compression fracture at T11! And I found out my fusion is from T11-L4 is that a single or a double?

I'm getting so scared for the surgery! But I have hopes that this will help me and I can get back to living!!

• Calm. Why are you getting your MRI results after you scheduled your surgery..odd? Sounds like a two level T1/2 and 2/3. I might be wrong. Call the doctors office and ask to talk to the surgeon, or their PA to calm your nerves.

As someone who just got a 2 level I can't imagine it is that much worse than 1 level. It will be okay. The worst pain was the first week. It will be okay..repeat, repeat. It will be better.

• Thanks Angela,

They did an MRI as part as my pre-op. so I called the surgeon's office today to ask for my results so, they e-mailed them to me.

How were you feeling at this point lets say a week before your surgery? I'm glad your doing better? How is your pain?
  • I didn't really get nervous until the night before. I was having nausea issues probably from trying to take myself off neurontin. I have been having stomach issues again. Went to see my PCP yesterday and it seems as if could the laxative I was taking. Hoping...he gave me some nausea meds and feel 90% better. Hoping it goes away as I get myself off all my meds over the next week. Hope to be down to 1 pain med a day by early next week (and some days without any pain meds). I am looking forward to having my six week check up to see if my fusion is fusing.

• T11-L4 would be T11/T12, T12/L1, L1/L2, L2/L3, L3/L4.

That's 5 levels. Are you sure about that? Why would he fuse all of those levels?

This sounds much bigger than he discussed before :/
  • I would call them tomorrow. If the T11 fracture is not causing problems I can't imagine that they are going to touch that. Also going into the thoracic area is much trickier.

I'm guessing that someone misunderstood you question. Ask to speak with the doctor directly. From what you have described before it sounded like he was doing L1-L3 to stabilize the L2. THat would be a two level.
  • I just read the consult note to my doctor and this is what it said..

Thank you for referring this pleasant 39-year-old woman to the Pre-assessment Clinic. We understand
    she is to undergo L2 vertebrectomy as well as T12-L4 fusion on December 3, 2010.

Ok, I feel better I think! So, it's not T11 it's T12 Please someone tell me thats better!!

• You had better ask your doctor. Don't go into surgery without knowing exactly what's being done and why!
  • That is what I'm getting! I always just assumed I would be fused from L1-L3 I never really asked him. So, I'm getting a 4 level fusion, I guess thats why he said the operation could take him 9 hours and I will be in the ICU for 3 days.

There is such a thing as a 4 level fusion....
  • I've been searching for anyone who has been through this! I'll do some research on this. 10 days to go!!

Hope all of you are well,

• from what you posted before , i thought you were having your L2 vertebra removed, then fusing L1- L3???

but in the that referring letter for pre assesment, its saying more levels

i think you should ring your surgeon, and ask him what he is doing and why he is doing it.(thats what i would do,get it clarified)

hopefully after talking with your surgeon, will help
    you get a hndle on this
    take care, hugs :)
    please let us know how your going