Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

RGTRRGT Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Water Cooler
I was told I needed a collar right after surgery and to wear it for a month until I see my ns. I woke up from surgery without one on. I asked the nurse where is my collar she said if i needed one i would have woke up with it on. I told her what the ns said and she left. I wasn't asked about my pain levels or if i needed anything about an hour goes by and I am in some pretty bad pain I buzzed the nurse I told her I was in pain she said well what do you want I told her percocet that is what I had after my last surgery she came back and said my ns only prescribed vicoden if I wanted something stronger she would have to call him to see if he would ok it and that could take a while I was very shocked and upset by this I could not believe I just has a C-4 C-5 acdf and could not get the proper pain relief anyway I settled for the vicoden what choice did I have. My wife asked for my prescription to go get them filled and they lost my chart when they found it guess what the ns wrote a script for a collar my wife went down stairs to fill the scripts and my insurance wouldn't cover the collar but it was only $20. I couldn't believe the way this was going. I sat in my hospital room from 1:30 pm until 5:30pm and I wasn't asked if I wanted to eat or drink anything and dinner was served at 5pm. So I was fed up and I signed myself out. The nurses couldn't believe I was leaving but what was the difference at least at home I would be fed and properly looked after. What a nightmare. I just needed to get this out make sure you research your doctors and hospitals.

• Sorry that there were so many mess up with your hospital stay,, can I ask what State ??

Please follow your doctors order, if they left you with any, and I wish you a most speedy recovery
  • Hospitals... Funny (not haha funny) you mention this and what happened. Both of my cervical fusions where done at the same hospital. The first go around, perfect, well managed, fed well etc. My second surgery, my night nurse was great, the others could care less what my pain levels were, and fed me only liquids! It sucked big time. Also I am allergic to Latex (had a nice BIG sign near my bed), and a nurse grabbed my wrist with those Latex gloves on! Gave me nasty, nasty blisters - I had a fit!!!

The short and narrow of it is the staff! Good nursing staff, good results, bad nursing staff - a mess! I did report the good and the bad to my NS by the way. Sorry to hear you went through all that. Thanks for sharing though!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Being a nurse for the past 30 years, this kind of treatment really gets to me. And now that I am on the "other side", I have had my share of good and bad treatment.

If you are ever in that situation again, first ask for the nurse in charge, then the supervisor if this staff member doesn't resolve things. At this point, I would contact the hospital and file a complaint. They are obligated to look into all complaints and give you an answer. Do you remember who this nurse was?

Did you sign out Against Medical Advice? If you did, you may be responsible to pay for more of your medical care. Please check this out with your insurance company.

Best to you,

• My ns said as long as I could get up and use the bathroom I could go. The hospital sends a survey to be filled out so I will let them know about it. And I will make a phone call to them. Thanks for the advise.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    just a place for the girls N guys to catch up on the daily gossip ..... oh and maybe practice a little medicine inbetween. Oh the things I have heard and seen,

Hospitals whenever and wherever should be avoided!!

They can take ther TQM and CQI and ram it where the gauze can't get to very easily!!

I am the former director at 2 different hospitals ..
    Stay away .... far away .... and its only going to get worse!!

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• I am a nurse too. I don't usually mention it, just kind of hang back and observe.
    The crap I have seen is unreal. I understand the understaffing issue, but so many "caregivers" no longer care!
    There was a time when I cared enough to keep a woman on her electric wheelchair from tipping sideways off a platform scale. That is the reason I am here.
  • I was in the hospital for 5 days three weeks ago. First of all the ER Dr told me several times to quit crying...even though I had been sent to the hosp b/c my MRI showed a L5-S1 herniated disc...and he KNEW that! When I didn't/couldn't quit crying, he just stood there and looked at me, then finally asked if I was in pain! I screamed at him "YES, MY BACK FEELS LIKE IT'S BREAKING"!!! Once I was admitted the nurse came to put a catheter in b/c I couldn't get up to use the restroom...three times I called & told her it wasn't in right and I was "leaking(a lot)". She finally fixed it but never changed the pad under me...I was in too much pain or knocked out to fight for myself and had to lay in it all night long. Yep, I'm still waiting for the survey to come in the mail!!!
  • Both my experiences for my knee surgeries were terrible. the first one was an open meniscectomy (which I found out later most surgeons had moved to performing arthrocopies for quite a few years prior). When in the recovery room, the nurse came in and said I was ready to leave. I had a sponge lifting piece under my knees to keep them elevated. She pulled the foam out without giving me any notice, and my legs slammed on the table. When I screamed out in utter pain, she asked "what's the matter with you?" If I could have, I would have jumped off the gurney and punched her in the head. Instead I asked her why she did that, and she just hmmpfed and told me to get dressed. I told her I'd need help, and she said I should be able to do it myself. I told her to go get my I(now ex) husband. She huffed off and soon he was there and helped me get my pants on and get dressed, but not before she came in and asked what was taking so long. Then, on our way out, she was wheeling me to the door. He said that he just needed to pull the car up, to which she replied "well, why wouldn't you bring it up before this?" and hes said because you can't park in front of the doors, or would you not know that, working here? So he went, she complained about how long he was taking. Because it was Jan, and icy, he asked if he could wheel me to the car, she wasn't happy about that, so she stodd in the doorway while he was trying to get me into our little chevette, and kept saying "don't you know how cold it is out here". What a piece of work that lady was.... so i told him to take his sweet-arse time, lol.

When I had my lateral release, the surgeon had said he would do a scope, see what's wrong, and if it was bad enough, would continue with the lateral release. He had said to get crutches in case he had to do the release, as you can't do any weight bearing after. So i had my crutches there. In the recovery room, the nurse came in and told me to try walking. I asked her to get my crutches and she said no, you don't need them. well, being in the amount of pain I was in, I knew he didn't just stop at the scope. So I said yes, I did, and she replied, no you don't, you only had a scope done, you don't need them. I told her I had a lateral release, just read the post op report. Anyways, after practically yelling at me, storming off after saying she'll show me, she's going to see the surgeon, she came back and practically threw the crutches at me and said that I should get up and try the crutches anyways. I'm telling you, I was so glad to get out of that hospital too. Skip ahead 4 years, same hospital, with my cervical surgery, I had the completely different experience, the nurses were all so wonderful. They even let my mom come in and stay with me in recovery! I couldn't have been more appreciative of them, after my previous experiences!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own