Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sometimes, something can make a difference

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Matters of the Heart
Sometimes, something comes along that changes how someone feels and this is one of those times, so I really want to share this with you all.

Recently I posted something about how my hubby has been feeling tired and frustrated with "our" spine problems. Now I'd like to share with you a song that has changed him, how he feels and thinks about our family. It has given him the strength he needs to not only get through all this stuff, but to help him help me through it as well. This one song has spurred long talks about the problems we're facing and how I can't face them alone and need him to simply be there, not fix me, just be there and be strong for me, especially when I can't.

I notice that many of us that lack support are women because we're innately caregivers, where men want things fixed and when they can't, they tend to become like my hubby did, getting frustrated and tired of dealing with something they can't fix. But even if it's your wife or girlfriend that is feeling strained by it all, it can be for her too.

These are the lyrics, but do yourself a favor and go to youtube and listen to the song. It's been an inspiration for my hubby. He's not deeply religious, but this song has reminded him that it's his job in our family to be the strong one when I can't be. He gets tears in his eyes each time he hears this because it's such a powerful message.

Lead Me
By Sanctus Real

I look around and see my wonderful life
Almost perfect from the outside
In picture frames I see my beautiful wife
Always smiling
But on the inside, I can hear her saying...

“Lead me with strong hands
Stand up when I can't
Don't leave me hungry for love
Chasing dreams, what about us?

Show me you're willing to fight
That I'm still the love of your life
I know we call this our home
But I still feel alone”

I see their faces, look in their innocent eyes
They're just children from the outside
I'm working hard, I tell myself they'll be fine
They're independent
But on the inside, I can hear them saying...

“Lead me with strong hands
Stand up when I can't
Don't leave me hungry for love
Chasing dreams, but what about us?

Show me you're willing to fight
That I'm still the love of your life
I know we call this our home
But I still feel alone”

So Father, give me the strength
To be everything I'm called to be
Oh, Father, show me the way
To lead them
Won't You lead me?

To lead them with strong hands
To stand up when they can't
Don't want to leave them hungry for love,
Chasing things that I could give up

I'll show them I'm willing to fight
And give them the best of my life
So we can call this our home
Lead me, 'cause I can't do this alone

Father, lead me, 'cause I can't do this alone

I hope that this touches just one heart and helps even one person realize that spouses and significant others really do need each other to get through the hardest of times and that there is so much more strength to fight when the two can work together to get through them.

Like I said, this is much more powerful when you hear it sung, so take a moment to go to youtube and hear it for yourself and even share it with your loved one. Maybe it can change a spouse or significant other like it's changed my hubby.

Thanks for listening.

• Cathie, I'm so happy that your hubby is supporting the way you need! Yes, men tend to want to fix and when they can't they feel hopeless and frustrated!

Good for you women!

• Beautiful song and sentiment, Cathie, thank you for posting!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Thanks for the inspiration. I always have told my husband when I die, I want the song by Garth Brooks The Dance played because that is what I feel about life. You never know what life is gonna give us, but if we dont dance, we will never know how it could have been. So with each surgery I face, it is a dance to see where I will end up!
  • I think from some posts that we realize that we DO have things to be grateful for during this time of year, even in the roughest of times.

I'm glad that those that have listened to this have enjoyed the song and message. It makes you grateful for the other part of you who is there, heart and soul, and you know you're not alone.

For those that don't have that at home for whatever reason, that's why SH is here - we're a family and we understand, will help you stand when you can't, will be there when others may not be and will show you support when you feel there's none to be had.

Happy Thanksgiving, fellow spineys. I'm thankful for you all and Spine-Health.

PS Geez, I'm a bit soppy today, aren't I?
  • The "marriage" problems can be bad, and for the most part, my husband is pretty understanding. It is funny that at one time I was the one that ALWAYS wanted to!! 8>
    I love the song "the Dance." What a beautiful song. How true!
  • what a beautiful song ty for sharing i'm going to put in on a cd i'm making of songs for my hubby
    he stressed about everything these days...and that song will be first...
    he is a song writer and plays just about every instrument...
    he struggles with being laid off and my pain daily,i can see everything taking a toll on him...
    theres so very much put on all of us at our home and i have just been blessed daily with my family.
    they all try but no way do they understand the simple things are so very hard for me..they just help me so very much...
    thanks cath
    i sure will share this with my hubby
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Thank you for posting that. I know its an old post, but it has really touched me. I'm crying now! thank you .x