Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Left hip pain - right leg spasms after TLIF?

minihorsemminihorse Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi am am new here and I had a TLIF 6 wks ago at L3-4. I went back to NS for my 4 wk post-op. I told him of the different pains I was having and was told the nerves waking up after being compromised during the non-invasive surgery it was all normal stuff. I have been having spasms in my right lower leg in the calf. Walking helped at first and I am still taking my meds (Robixin, Tramadol) every six hours as prescribed by the NS.

I called last week and they said it was normal and to just keep an eye on it and if it gets to be unbearable to call them. It isn't unbearable but is a constant pain in the lower calf. Is this normal,for one leg and not the other to spasm?

I was putting some groceries away and while reaching (I have a 10 lb. limit) I felt a sharp pain in my left hip and it hurt so bad I broke out crying. It feels like I stretched too much. It also burns in that area and it is numb since the surgery. I took a hydrocodone/with tylenol in it for the pain that night. It helped, so now I am taking the hydro/tylenol at night just so I can sleep.

It has been very painful to sit, walk, laydown at times, I have lower back pain and yesterday felt like there was a brick in my back at the incision/hardware area.

I have been walking about 30 minutes total a day as prescribed and could do daily activities (laundry, dishes etc.) The NS said that I am a "strong lady" and could do that stuff. I know that people heal on different levels but I feel like I have taken three steps back as to where I was two weeks ago. Am I doing too much? Sorry so long, I go back in 3 weeks for another visit to the NS for another post-op visit.

I am 46 non-smoker in great health according to the doctor :)

• You will find that you are still very early in recovery and that sometimes you seem to take 2 steps forward and three back. Just try to be positive and keep doing what your Dr said. I would avoid reaching, at least that is what my Ortho told me, but I had a PLIF.
    Good news is, it will get better, with time. Just be paitient and go from Dr visit to Dr visit, and I think you will see your improvment easier. Good Luck.
  • iowarobin, thanks for the response. I have to keep being positive..one day at a time...one day at a time... 8>