Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C1 C2 Fusion

BrianprachtBBrianpracht Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey everyone, names Brian, 20 years of age. Just gunna tell you guys about my operation, if you have any feedback at all please lemme know. Good or bad, I dont care, or lemme here your story about similar.
Broke my C2 body surfing in may, 2010. Was misdiagnosed for a few weeks before having anterior surgery placing a screw through my c2. post op, post op, post op, 5 months later, no recovery, so I was told I would need fusion of the c1/2.
Nov. 20th, 2010 I had posterior c1/c2 fusion, placing 2 rods, 4 screws, and a wire. I am only a few days out of surgery but I have many questions to those further out. I am really outgoing, love the outdoors and love action sports. I wonder if I will ever be able to return to what I was doing before (snowboarding, surfing, sktateboarding, biking, etc.) I understand I will have loss of mobility in my neck, but will be able to cope with it, for I am young and will have to live with what I got. I only worry about paralysis, one of my biggest fears. With the new fusion, after recovery, will I be able to return to my everyday life, or am I more susceptible to paralysis being that I have hardware? If I were to have a similar accident as the one I had to start all this, would it take more or less to injure myself? Anything will help, even your story! Good luck to everyone out there!

• Hey Brian,
    I just had a posterior cervical fusionof C1/C2 two weeks ago and feel the way you did in your message above. How is your recovery coming along? I have a lot of post surgical pain and muscle spasms. I am just wondering what to expect...any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    April 2011 C1-C2 Fusion (Brooks wiring)
    January 2012 C1-C2 Revision Fusion (Harms Technique)
    2010 - current: Trigger Point Injections, Epidural Injections, Bilateral C2-C3 Radiofrequency Ablations