Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help! What have I done?

sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I'm seven weeks post op acdf 5-6 and I think I've hurt something. This morning I unthinkingly stretched with my arms up above and kind of behind my head and heard and felt a loud pop right in the front of my neck. It has been hurting and just doesn't feel right since then. Do you think there's a chance that something popped loose or something? I will call my doctor tomorrow if it still feels this way but didn't want to bother anyone today since it's a holiday. Just wondering if any of you have done anything like this?

• I had a TLIF on L3-4 6 weeks ago and stretched my legs this morning and I did the same thing. I forgot that I can't stretch like that yet. I heard a pop in my back and then a terrible spasm in my right lower leg. I have been having spasms in the leg since surgery but this was the worse yet.

I would definately call the doctor to find out. Hope you find relief soon.

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm really beginning to worry. In a way I think it's just because I haven't moved that way in so long and something else just popped but then again something just doesn't feel right. I'm sure since almost the same thing happened to you today you can understand my fear! Did you call your doctor? I will definitely call tomorrow if it still feels this way.

I hope you are feeling better also. Hope neither of us have anything 'out of whack'.

Thanks for your reply.
  • I am 3 months post ALIF, L4-5, last week or so I started popping in my lumbar spine. I was scared to death! Every pop takes my breath away and causes spasms in my gut like quivering. Only happens when I raise my right knee. It kinda cracks while raising up and pops on way down in several places. I freaked, called p/t, NS & pm all seem to agree for me that its facet joints and not loose hardware or something horrible!

P/t checked my out last Friday and really thinks its facet joints, I did also have a Myelogram on Monday, waiting on those results.

Call your doctor tomorrow, hopefully they are open, if not have him paged, NO need to be worried over the long weekend.

Good luck to you both.
  • It's always best to call and ask your doc what he/she thinks. For the longest time after surgery on C1&C2, I would have a ligament get "trapped" and when I moved just right, it would "pop" free. It's fine now, but was quite unnerving when it first happened.

• let us know what is going on with you sunny. Take it easy and get an ice pack on that neck.
  • Please check in....hope your okay.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm still kicking. Sorry for being absent there for a while. I didn't get much sleep at all Thursday night for the pressure/pain in my neck. Called my NS Friday morning and left a message, then called again at 3 and still no call. So I've just been taking it easy and using my ice pack, heat pad, and muscle relaxers. I do think it's better except for feeling a pressure like choking feeling. Sometimes swallowing takes extra tries.

I caught myself in mid-stretch again this morning! I think "C" is probably right about the ligaments. It just scares me that the pop was in the front instead of the back. I'm used to the snapping, popping going on back there. lol.

Thanks for your concern and sorry it took me so long to update.
    Hope you're all well as you can be.

• I was wondering how long you experienced your ligament getting trapped before it stopped.

I have been feeling a slipping over my lumbar fusion after 9 months. I had an x-ray that showed the hardware to be in place and fusion is taking place. (Horray!!) My surgeon says that the slipping is probably coming from the level above the fusion because of ligaments which haven't tightened yet. He said that could take 18 months or more.

He did pull my spondylolisthesis back a bit, more into the correct line of my spine, so I guess that those ligaments need to adjust to their new position.