Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Good news, bad news

ArualAArual Posts: 20
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Neurosurgeon said I'm not a good candidate for surgery (yay). It wouldn't make me feel any better because I have permanent nerve damage (boo).

• Hey there, congrats (I think). Have you had any prior surgeries? what test did he do for the permanent nerve damage diagnosis?

• Did the neurosurgeon say why your not a good candidate for surgery? How many opinions did you seek, if one I always say to get two, at least. What type of conservative therapy are they doing to help with the issues or have they done? How did they come to the conclusion that the nerve damage is permanent? Do you have nerve roots that are compressed, if so how long has this been going on? Is it possible they felt you had sometime to wait before doing a surgery? What type of symptoms are you currently having?

Sometimes surgery is not the only answer and many conservative measures can help and prolong and/or avoid surgery. Keep us posted on how your doing.
  • This is the second surgeon I saw. The first one wanted to do a fusion, and I'm just not doing that. I've tried all kinds of conservative therapy - I have many things in my arsenal. He told me to just keep doing what I'm doing.

He looked at my MRI and myelogram and determined there was nerve damage - the nerve has been compressed for about three years.

I have muscle and nerve pain on my right side from my neck to the middle of my back. It has taken up permanent residence between my spine and my scapula, goes around and beneath my scapula, and sometimes goes down my arm into my pinky.

My last epidural didn't go well, and caused terrible pain (much more than usual) for six weeks. I couldn't work. I have been doing PT again, and it is easing up, so that's another bit of good news (yay).