Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain after Scoliosis Surgery

OCSpineOOCSpine Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Scoliosis
I am 36 years old- about to be 37 in a little over a week. I had spinal fusion in 2000. I had a S curve with a 46 degree curve and a 58 I think when they finally did the surgery. I should have had it as a kid but my parents were too scared so I just wore the brace. After my first two children (now 14 and 13) I was in chronic pain and had to get the surgery. I became pregnant four months after surgery and had a healthy 10 pound boy via c-section with no epideral (i was told would not work) so I was put to sleep. Since the surgery I have run 5 half marathons and have been in the best shape of my life. However ever since about 2007 I have had trouble with the very bottom part of my spine (the only part not fused). I started the running in late 2008 and it actually made me feel better but in the last 6 months I am in so much pain I cant stand it. In 2008 I was told the only way to correct the bottom discs was to have the fusion done all the way down and go through basically the same surgery again. I am going back on the 8th of December and I am sure they are going to tell me the only way to be pain free is to have surgery. The pain makes me actually scream when it runs down my legs. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything other than surgery like a cortisone shot? For now I am only doing water aerobics twice a week and resting.

• Has anyone else experienced lower back pain after spinal fusion / scoliosis surgery?
  • Did they tell you what was causing the pain? Have you consulted a doctor about conservative treatments?

• I'm fused from T3-L4. Facing more surgery to fuse remaining lower levels due to on-going pain. I would definitely recommend epidurals. Sometimes, they can really help. The last time I went in- helped eliminate about 80% of leg nerve pain.
    Good luck!
  • i had a spinal fusion done in about 96 with constant pain after, in 98 finally convinced dr to remove all hardwear after trying everything under the sun for the pain. day of discharge was notified i wouldnt be leaving i had a very serious infection. became allergic to everything they tried to treat me with. after that was all treated pain occasionally. now after my second baby im in constant pain down my right side where they removed the bone from my hip. its a sharp pain that makes it hard to move. any advice... i was thinkin it nerves
    thamks :)
This discussion has been closed.