Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Morton's neuroma ???

jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
I was wondering how common Morton's neuroma is for spinal patients.
I have read that it is common in patients with fibromyalgia.

I have been getting horrible nerve type pain in my 2nd and 3rd toes of my right foot for over two years.
After my surgery it seemed to almost disappear, but then started to return again.
Lately it has been getting worse.
I had been attributing it to nerves healing after my surgery. The fact that it has been getting worse and often making walking very difficult made me start to wonder if my back problems were coming back.
At work on Thursday, everyone thought that my back was giving me a lot of trouble as I was really limping and struggling to walk. It was my toes!!

Well, I spoke to my physiotherapist at my appointment in the evening, and he examined my foot. He thinks it is Morton's neuroma. I had never heard of it! Having researched the condition, it does sounds very like it. I was wearing different shoes on Thursday, which definately made things worse.

How many of us Spine Health members have this condition?

What treatment did you have?

How long did you have the symptoms before getting treatment?

I hope the fact that I have waited so long, thinking it was related to my back, doesn't mean that I will have to have surgery!!

2010 is not going down as a good year as far as my health is concerned!! :S

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I had morton's neuroma surgery in Dec. 07. I had a bunionectomy & osteotomy on the same foot in Sept. 06. I think the neuroma formed when the bunion had shoved the bones of my foot together or something because when I had the bunion surgery they had to cut and move my first metatarsal bone to straighten my foot. Now I have a bunion and neuroma on my right foot but am putting off any surgery on it.

If I can help you in any way just PM me and I'll be happy to help. I'm so glad I had the surgeries.

• Thanks for your reply Debbie.

I have read that morton's neuroma can be caused by ladies wearing narrow shoes and high heals.
    I have not worn those for many years as they would cause back pain, twisted ankles and sore feet. My footwear tends to be flat and quite wide.

The shoes I wore on Thursday, were flat and pretty wide, but the shoes I usually wear and very sloppy and almost a bit too big. My chiro told me not to wear them because they gave no support at all.
    I bought some new shoes to wear, but they were not nearly as comfortable, so I went back to my old ones.

How long were you having pain before you had surgery?
    What symptoms were you having?
    I suppose some of them could have come from your bunion.
    How long did it take for you to recover from the surgery?

Sorry about so many questions :-)
  • my daughter who was 15 at the time was diagnosed with Morton's neuroma she didnt wear tight fitting shoes..and they said it was usually found in older women who wore tight fitting shoes ... they operated on her but now both feet are getting bad i keep telling her to go back to docs ...she is now 19 and works full time ..so its getting time off also her job is standing on her feet all day...she also has started showing signs of a bad back in the lumber area

• I am also starting to get similar, but not so bad, symptoms in my other foot. I now wonder if it is being caused by my back pressing on nerves higher up.

Did your daughter get relief at all after her surgery? Has she had any MRI scans done on her back?

I hope that they will find a way to help her. 19 is much to young to be dealing with chronic pain.

• she did for a while but she has no feeling in 2 of her toes
    they have given her naproxin and diazapan for her back but cos she works and drives she hasnt taken diazapan...
    if its no better i will get her to go back

• I had this problem several years ago. A shot of cortasone)sp?) between the toes should help ease the inflimation up. A foot Doctor can make an insert for your shoe that will stop the pain or you can have the nerve ending removed. That is what I did and have never been bothered again.

The surgery was a simple one done in the foot Doctors office. I did not even have to take the pain meds he gave me after the surgery. I did wear a funny looking open flat shoe for a short time.

Hope this helps.

Cheers :H
    Patsy W