Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain meds and recovery

Step on a crackSStep on a crack Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Pain Medications
I had a L4-5 lami in the summer of 2009 and a L4-S1 fusion in the spring of 2010. I started on lortab in the spring of 2009 and Lyrica was soon added. After the fusion my meds were changed to Norco and Soma and Lyrica. I have slowly reduced the amount of medication that I take and I am now on lortab 5-325 and Soma. I try to take these only once a day but the last couple of weeks it has seemed that they don't work as well. When I call he dr his nurse gives me the third degree. Sayig I shouldn't be taking these meds so far out post op. The dr never says anything like that. I guess my question is, how far post op are we expected to be on this medication. I can't function without. And I am near tears right now. Waiting and praying that my meds will help take the edge off.

• You should talk to your doctor about this, both what the nurse is telling you and how you're feeling.

I can say that my surgeon pretty much treats immediate post-surgical pain. Once it goes into chronic pain, which might not go away, that's the job of pain management doctors (I asked specifically and this is what I was told).

So given my own experience, that's how I would approach it. You're still having pain, should they be investigating it or is it time for pain management? Because the nurse seems to think you should be pain free, and you are not, and you have no idea of what you should be doing to get pain free.

Your surgeon is probably thrilled that you were able to significantly reduce your pain meds and are feeling relatively functional after 2 major back surgeries.