Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Oxycontin Worked Great The First Day, Then Nothing?

mikey1975777mmikey1975777 Posts: 23
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Pain Medications
Very strange situation. I've been seeing a PM doc for the past month or so for debilitating back and leg pain, which he is calling Failed Back Syndrome (previous surgery 2008, titanium fusion L4/5). During this time, I've had 3 epidural steroid injections that don't seem to be working at all. There's talk of implanting an electrical stimulator.

I've been taking 4 Norcos--10/325 and 2 Soma 350's per day for about a month and a half, but it wasn't covering all the pain, so in addition to this my doc prescribed me Oxycontin 20mg twice per day. I've never taken Oxycontin before, so I decided to give it a go.

The first day I took it, the relief I got was very good. Day 2 was drastically different. I could tell that I took it, but pain relief was minimal. I'm now on day 3, and I'm still getting very little relief. Does anyone know if this is one of the meds that you have to take for long periods, and let it build up in your system in order for it to work well? I don't understand it, and am considering just not taking the Oxycontin, as all it is really doing now is making me tired. I've seen so many positive reviews about the med, that it seems like I'm doing something wrong here.

I first posted this in the back pain section before I found the 'pain med' section. Kinda new at this!

• My first thought was placebo effect, but given the (lesser) narcotic strength you were on before- going up to Oxy 20 bid is a decent jump that should give much more relief that where you were - is there any chance that first and second day when you took it you may have "overdid" it activity wise because you had less pain, and now feeling the effects of being more active?
  • Mikey, maybe try not taking it for a few days and see how you feel, then go back to it for a few days and see again how you feel. My thought is maybe just maybe it is doing more for you then you think and once you don't take it you will see if your pain levels really do go higher again. Might be worth a try :)

Please let us know - this is very interesting.
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Ok, so today they seem to be working a little better. Weird. I hope it doesn't continue like this. Those little things are too expensive to not work like they should.

@optimist: I pretty much stayed in bed most of the day, so I didn't overdo it. Maybe the initial dose has a stronger effect at first and then levels out? I dunno...

@MsHumptyDumpty: I think I'll try that if they decide to quit working again. Maybe reintroducing them will help.
  • No, its not something that takes days or even weeks to take full effect like some of the nerve meds. Its an immediate medication in your system, pain relief type med, with the exception that oxycotin is time released and will work over a twelve hour or so period.

My old pm doc told me they they call that the honeymoon period, it is common for pain medications to taper off their effects as your body gets used to them. I would talk to your doctor and get their opinion and advice on the matter, but to me if a narcotic isnt working for you with pain relief I dont see dealing with the side effects of it. Hope they can find something that can get you out of bed more, I know those days all so well.....Mitch