Hello. I am new to this forum.
I had ACDF on 3 levels- c5c6, c6c7, c7t1- fused with cadaver bone on 11/15/10.
Prior to surgery I had pain and stiffness in my neck with numbness and tingling down my left arm. I also had headaches every day.
I was hurt back in April 2010. I went through 6 months of Therapy, Massage, Chiro adjustments, Cervical Traction, and a series of 3 Epidural Steroid Injection shots. Which provided minimal relief for a very short time.
My MRI in May showed 3 disc herniations, a bulging disc and compression against the spinal cord. My MRI in October showed the same 3 disc herniations-but they had gotten worse.
I consulted with the NS several times. I was told I could live with the pain- but there are risks. If I had a bad fall or car accident- I risked paralysis. And then he went into the risks of having the ACDF. I carefully considered the options and had many conversations with my husband about what to do. He wouldn't tell me what I should do. Just told me he would support whatever decision I made. (I have a fantastic husband. And his support and assistance through this hellish experience has made me love him more!!)
Let me tell you...reading the list of complications and such as I was signing the consent forms really put me into a tizzy. I wish I would have asked for Valium or something to calm me down prior to the surgery.
The NS told us the surgery would take 1 1/2 to 2 hours. It was longer than that. 4 hours. Post surgery I have no headaches. I awoke with weakness on the Right Side. I couldn't use my Right hand. It scared me. I have had to squeeze a sponge piece to strengthen my hand. It is almost back to 100%. I also have numbness on my entire left side. I understand it is nerve numbness. I am afraid that it will never "awaken".
I see the NS tomorrow and my brain is scrambled as to what questions I need to ask him so I can understand the road ahead of me.
Thanks for reading. Any and all tips would be greatly appreciated.