Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF surgery - 7 weeks later still on meds...normal?

mlwmmlw Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone!
I had ACDF surgery on Oct 7th. 7 weeks later, I'm still on pain meds. I have considerable pain in the back of my neck, top of my shoulders and terrible headaches up the back of my neck.

How long did it take other ACDF patients to get off pain meds and to be pain free?

• As I think most would tell you, everyone is different with regard to outcomes and the length of time needed for pain medication. I have read comments of those who hardly needed it after a few days, to those who need it for months. My surgeon was extremely conservative as he tried to wean me off the Norco after only two weeks. My father-in-law got better pain medication for a simple hernia repair! This caused me much undue pain and anxiety of worrying about how to live in pain. I did however take some advice on spine health and asked my PCP about prescribing a muscle relaxer, which when taken regularly, really helped calm down a lot of the pain, which made it easier to start to wean off the pain meds. I too had the horrible pain in the back of my neck and up the back of my head; which I thought would never end. I was told this was normal. It did get better with time; seemed like I was feeling much better at three months. My surgeon recommended alternating ice and moist heat, which helped. A good massage helps loosen things up in there too. Keeping a walking regimine and avoiding prolonged sitting was also very important. I still have a day here and there 4 months post ACDF where I need something stronger than a Tylenol, especially when I over do it. It is difficult to deal with the stigma of pain medication and although it should be weaned when possible, it should not be a source of stress early on. Every physician or surgeon has different views, so if you are worried, speak to your doctor. Please know that the recovery can be quite difficult at times but does improve. I hope you get to feeling better soon!