Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

No Dice...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Chronic Pain
I got 10 extra pain pills for the month, that was it. She said I can either do all of an ER or all of the other, not both. I don't have time to mess around trying out different things, I have to be at work so I guess I'll stick with what I have for now. Damn...

• Whaaaat?! She really doesn't like narcotic pain meds, does she? I so wish you had another doctor close by that you could switch to. I remember a thread not too long ago that talked about the ethics of doctors treating patients, and that they have the responsibility of treating your pain correctly. It had links to the state laws for docs treating patients, and I can't find it now. I had actually found the same for here in Canada.
    Hope your feeling okay though today!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • OMG...you have got to be kidding?? :jawdrop: I am so sorry Marion...Try to be strong!!

Why cant some Drs just help our pain and not make it worse?? I just dont understand it...thier oath states something like....do NO harm...where is that in play??

Soory everyone....it has been a VERY bad day....forgive my ranting please:)!!
  • I am really sorry to read this, Marion.

I wish you had a more experienced PM doctor close by, so you could get the pain relief you need.

I can't help but wonder if your body has built up a tolerance to the current meds you are on. Sometimes a switch to something else helps others. Even with the IR medications. Just my thoughts here.

Hang in there toots... I don't know how you do it sometimes!

Wishing you less pain,

• Hi Marion,

You should be able to tell your doctor that your pain control is not adequate and that you need some kind of change that will give you adequate relief. If you say this to her, she would have to respond with something. As Tammy said, maybe you've built a tolerance to what you're on now and need to try something different. Whatever needs to happen, you have a right to ask her to provide adequate pain control for you. If she cannot or will not do that, you should be freed from your contract and able to go to someone else. Just expressing what's logical to me.

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • About 4 months ago, she did switch me from lortab to Percocet to see if that would make it better. My issue is, they both do a great job – for about 4 hours; I have to wait 6. Well, now I guess I do have a whopping 10 days a month when I can take 5 and feel better right… I did try to talk to her and told her my pain control was not adequate. Her normal response is “well I’m sure it would be nice to be out of pain, but that isn’t going to happen”. I does “not” ever go away (which I’m sure most of you experience every day), but it is much less severe for about 4 good hours in between doses, then by the time I wait 2 hours for the next one, I could bawl with relief when I feel that nerve pain slipping down a few notches. She said, continue to take your meds as prescribed, I’ll see you next month.
    What are ya gonna say to that? There are NO other doctors to go to around here, there just aren’t. I live in the country and would have to drive 100 miles one way to get to another doctor and I just can’t do that – it’s ridiculous. Trust me, I have called 50 different doctors locally. None will even look at a PM patient and the ones that do, don’t do pain medication, they want to do injections, PT, yoga, all kinds of other stuff that I have either tried, or don’t have time for. I do injections, I get plenty of exercise running the farm and taking care of the animals so they are all fat, happy and comfortable; safe and warm. Medication is the only thing that works for me. I’m tired of do-gooders around here asking have I tried PT? Acupuncture?, Injections? Well duh – I’m not an idiot. Haven’t we tried it all at some point or another? It gets old…
    Ahhhh, don’t mind me, I’m a grumpy goose today. Sorry… I was pretty disappointed that it couldn’t even be discussed.
  • I meant at work, at home, yadda, yadda. Please don't take that offensively, I did not mean this site or you guys! If I couldn't talk to you all I don't know what I'd do - you guys help so much just by being there and listening and I Thank You all! That was a slip of the ole' keyboard-arooski...
  • I just recently switched from percocet to the ER oxycontin. Percocet had me on a roller coaster everyday - up and down with the pain and the creepy feeling when the percocet runs down in your system and you're waiting for the next dose. I also used to wake up and feel like hell, until the meds kicked in. I find the ER much better - and so far I've been taking ibuprofin for breakthrough. My Dr said I could also take percocet for breakthrough (which I did to get through Thanksgiving) but that just sent me deep into nod and nausea land. Anyway - just a suggestion.

I am so lucky (knock on wood) to have a wonderful, wonderful PM Dr. He always listens to me and gives me great advice on how to manage pain - and when things have changed for me, he has never said "too bad" but lets me know the options. Oh - I also take lyrica, which helped take the edge off the pain, and helped with hip pain I have.

I hope you can get stable on your meds soon - in the meantime (and I know it's hard, because I become an angry, trembling mess when my meds aren't right) - try to stay cool, relax, make the best of all your meds, get out your ice and heat packs and your blankey - just because it helps the pain (in your heart too). All the best.
  • I'm so sorry your Dr. wasn't more open to helping you better manage your pain. In a way, she is right... pain-free would be very nice... too bad modern medicine can't come up with a way to do that... we're too busy making stupid poop that, while nice, isn't in the same class as allowing someone to live their life rather than work, chore, lay down and cry and do it all over again the next day :(

As someone that can't take percocet (the only other thing my pcp will offer besides vicoprophen) I'm stuck in a similar boat. He does at least offer it...and, I guess if I could take it it'd be okay ;p

Marion, have you tried the lidoderm patches? You mention the screaming nerve pain and I just wondered if it's located where mine is, if they would help you at all?

They are obviously Not in the same class as a pain killer, but when they work, it is noticeable... I don't have to hide from the elevator camera in the mornings going to my desk anymore... before, I'd be turning to the walls so the guards didn't see me cry in there... and forget it if there were others in there with me :(

I'm sure there are others here that can offer you a lot more, better solutions, but what I've found helps is... taking an arthritis strength Tylenol or two,(the 8 hour ones) along with a Motrin or two. I don't do it with every dose!! But, for the times when I Know it's going to be worse than the norm, it along with the patches seems to make the vicoprophens work a wee bit better as it feels like it works a tiny bit longer.

I will say that for me, the patches have made a world of difference in my ability to stand. Not pain free by any means, but.. I get a few extra seconds/minutes sometimes which makes all the difference between getting to my desk or car or falling along the way if I can't sit.

I really wish a new place would open up near you and actually have a doctor that would be willing to listen And work with you :( Until then, I hope you can find something that will help at least a bit!
  • ....loving all the new goings-on, not ;(
    sorry about the duplicate post.
  • Sorry to hear about your medication problems.
    Hope you can find a good PM doc--mine is a sweetheart.
    It really isn't US against THEM!! The have rules that they have to follow, and they have to protect themselves. Their job is hard, too!
    Call your doc and calmly explain the problems you are having, and the fact that you are having problems working because the pain is getting out of control. See if your appointment can be moved up, or if she wants to refer you to someone else.
    I hope you get things worked out. It is sad that the people out there who have abused these meds have made it so hard for people who really need them.
  • She IS the only gig in town, and she doesn't really care. There isn't much more I can do about it unless I want to hang out on the street corner here where I work and buy something. LOL! I'm sure there is just about anything you could possibly want in this neck of the woods!
  • Mouse, I have been in the same spot, years ago. It took me a year - of running through hoops and seeing a pysc as well as a NS, before the Dr was willing to provide anything more than the IR meds.

I had periods of not working, by that time. Not more than a few days - here and there. I took a monthly cal and showed him, when I was working and when I was not. And pointed out that I was taking 3 and 4 days of rest - to work for 2 days.

It did take a bit of time - on my part - to write this out, without blaming the Dr, for the issue, but just pointing out things that helped and things that did not. I also listed all of the things I do, each day, that do not involve drugs, to help me feel better. I kept pointing out to him - asking - does He - my Dr - have any other suggestions, to help me lessen these issues.

Do take care.
  • I took your advice and bought a journal, and have started writing down my pain issues, peaks, lows, what I do and don't do, time missed from work, etc. I'll take that next time and try, try again... At this point I don't have much to lose right.
    Man, I'm already stressed out about Christmas. LOL! This is ridiculous. I just want to feel like ME and enjoy life at least a little!!! Thanks buddy for the encouragment!
  • It still irks me to no end when I think of this and how you're being treated (or should I say not treated) Marion. But, the patches sound like a good idea to maybe try to ask for? I've heard a lot of people here say they're really good. Also, and sorry, I don't want to be one of those people you mentioned earlier, lol, have you tried the Tylenol Arthritis or the long lasting Aleve, or other types like that? I imagine you have, but just thought I'd throw it out there, just in case. I do take the Tylenol Arthritis once in a while, but don't take it too often because of the acetaminophen in both it and percocet. But things like Aleve are anti-inflammatories (I think Aleve is naproxen) if you can take that type of med.
    Anyways, that's it, just really wanted to say hi, and hope you're feeling okay today, but threw the rest in there too :)
  • But she has offered you long-acting medications, hasn't she? You do not want to take them as they are generally prescribed (as a way to reduce daily pain to reduce dependence on IR meds) because you are concerned that they will have unwanted side effects or will be ineffective.

And that is true. They might, any new medication might. But that would be more likely, instead of less, if you do not take them as intended, I would think. They do not really work very well if you go on-and-off of them, they are really designed to reach a consistent level in your bloodstream and stay there.

So if you want to try a LA, I think you will just have to start at a very low dose. Has she talked about how she would treat breakthrough pain?

• I wasn’t meaning anyone on this page, I was referring to some other peeps I know. I take celebrex every other day because it bothers my stomach too much if I take it everyday and it helps a lot. I take advil sometimes too because it doesn’t have the acteminephine in it. (SPELLING)… I have had a couple of surgeries to have my esophagus wrapped because of some bleeding ulcers in there and take previcid twice a day, so gotta be careful with that shizzle too. Jeez old age bites doesn’t it??!! HA-HA, like you would know anything about that “yet”
  • LOL I know enough :< I thought that it was you couldn't take NSAIDs, but couldn't remember for sure... Wow, your esophagus wrapped? How do they do that?
  • Sometimes living in a small town really does cause problems. The NS I saw was the only NS that came to town once a week.
    My husband drives me an hour and a half each way to PM every month.
    I keep a journal, also. That might be a good idea for you....it certainly would not hurt!
  • Centurion had mentioned that in another post too. Maybe if she can visually see my ups and downs it will make a difference, I don't know. I'm one tired pup at work today! I took a fall the other night and was pretty stoved up yesterday, but could deal with it. Last night, holy cow! I was so hobbled up, I finally took my last hot bath at around 1 in the morning and went to bed. Didn't sleep much at all, got up at 5 to get ready for work and let me tell ya boys and girls - this chick could use one longggg nappie about now! Ugh... I'm taking a long lunch and then I'll only have a couple hours left to do after I get back. Hope it goes quickly. The good news is - the boss just left for a trip and won't be back till next Tuesday! :)
  • You know what they say ~ "when the cat's away, the mice will play!" Why even go back after lunch? LOL I know you have to with the rumour mill at your work. Hope the afternoon flies!!
  • I might be inclined to sneak out a few minutes early today since I went home at lunch and poppa not only bought Blitz a truckload of fresh hay (that we needed cuz we're about out) but a gorgeous Cwistmas twee for me to decowate as soon as I get home from work! YES! Life is fine...
  • =)) mouse... I didn't even think of that when I wrote it!! LOL you are too funny!! A few minutes? I wouldn't have gone back from lunch!! LOL
  • At least you are lucky you can still "mouse" out =))

They just micromanaged us onto a Time clock system X(

It is a royal PIA and serves no real purpose and 90+ % of us were going above and beyond our hours worked. We did what needed done, stayed 15-30 minutes late, what ever. Now, it's "welp, gotta punch out and go, sorry". That being because with a time clock we would get paid OT and we don't have any money for that.

I'm Wrambling, go figure.

Mouse, perhaps at some point, like if you get a slow period at work or a long break, maybe you could try the long acting meds, many people do quite well on them alone. They might stop that 2 hour window of misery. Which I completely understand!

If I already said any of this above, please forgive the repeat as I suffer from "CRS" (can't remember $#!t) :D

Oh, I just came from my shrink, who is my pill dispenser guy and finally he has allowed me an extra 10 5mg Valiums a month! <:P

I really could use them and had tried in the past, then let it go the past 6 months and casually mentioned it again this morning! :H
  • My last job had a clock system. But when they realized that people now knew how many hours they were working, and not getting comp time for, they stopped it. It was a dismal failure all around.
  • We have over 2,000 employees and it is the fear of a federal audit and not having a paper trail for us people that are eligible for overtime that drove them to implement this system.

I doubt they will give up on it easily...

That's OK, like you said it works both way :D
    No more, "I'll be done in 15 minutes". Now it's "do we have any funds for overtime?"
  • Did you get some good sleep last night? I really hope you did, as you surely needed that!

I really, really, really hope... that your journaling will be helpful on your next visit to your doctor. I do the same, Marion. Since you are a horse lover too, I'll just say that I have been having a horrible time with the "trots" over here. :))(

It really isn't funny, but you gotta find humor with it sometimes! I have found that the Glade "french vanilla" spray works like a charm. Mike tells me it reminds him of his late Dad's pipe tobacco? LOL! My Dad used to smoke the cherry tobacco in his pipe, so I never knew there was a vanilla scent.

The Fentanyl is giving me pretty good pain relief, but like you, I have a really sensitive stomach along with IBS. So, I have been logging all of that down for my doctor to read. Once you start journaling and your doctor takes your notes to heart, I think you will be glad you did. If I didn't journal, I wouldn't know where to start at my PM doctor appointments. She reads through everything and then starts asking questions, does her exam, etc. It's nice for those of us with CRS, as Wrambler mentioned!

Well, my friend, just wanted to say hello and let you know that I am keeping tabs on you through your posts. I am always hoping and praying that you get better pain relief.

Ta Ta for now...

Tammy :D

• Yes, you do have to find the humor where you can huh! Personally, I like that new Glade spray in the winter collection! The red metallic can smells just like Cwistmas! I went home and decorated the tree hubby surprised me with, then he had smoked some beef brisket in his smoker, we had some of and I kicked back. Went to be about 10, and fell asleep about midnight I guess. needless to say, I was 3 hours late today - gotta give the hags something to talk about anyway right! LOL! It is warming up here a bit today, it has been 20 for a high the past several days, and supposed to hit 32 today - yippee! My poor son had to go get a trailer full of hay in the frigid crap last night after he got off work and unload it into the barn. He's such a good kid, I told him sorry buddy, he's like, oh it's no big deal mom, don't worry about it.
    Hope you are doing well too - take care buddy!!
  • awww, what a great son you have!!! Glad to hear you got a good sleep, you obviously needed it!! How are you feeling today?
  • There are NO other doctors to go to around here, there just aren’t. I live in the country and would have to drive 100 miles one way to get to another doctor and I just can’t do that – it’s ridiculous.
This discussion has been closed.