Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

EMG Confusion

MomofthreeboysMMomofthreeboys Posts: 73
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had fusion l3-l5 in Jan of 08 with worsening symptoms after. I also have some mild cord compression in my Thoracic spine. My EMG last year showed some chronic nerve damage in my legs. My symptoms have progressively worsened, including weakness in my legs and falls. My pain management doctor refered me to a neurologist who did an EMG today. Oh, BTW, I'm 8 weeks postop of having my hardware removed. Anyway, the neurologist said the EMG was completely normal other than changes in my l-spine from the surgeries! I'm in agony everyday of my life. I have severe pain in my upper back, lower back and both my legs. Both my surgeon and pain management doctor have told me that it is nerve pain and now I'm told it's not. I'm at a loss. Can anyone shed any light on this for me? I've tried lyrica and neurontin and both have taken away the pain but I couldn't handle the side effects. How can this not be nerve related? I know I should be relieved and happy but I actually feel like I've hit a brick wall. How can they help in my recovery without a diagnosis?

• Don't feel alone. Many of us have had the same thing happen. Unfortunately the EMG is a rather finicky test. If the doctor gets the probe in just the right spot at the right moment and all the planets are aligned he might get a good reading. Plus it's more of a lack of results test..meaning that no conduction means there is a problem.

What did your doctor have to say? Since the neurontin was working that would indicate to me that it is a nerve problem. I had the same thing by the way. And stopped the neurontin when it wasn't enough and started causing instability problems. There are other meds that can help with nerve pain, but it's a long, slow process to find the right one.
  • simply dismissed that is was a nerve problem at all. He said he believed I was in pain but in no way was it my nerves. He said I never should have had surgery in the first place and believes it has caused all my problems. I have an appointment Wednesday to discuss everything with my pain management doctor. Thank you for your reply!