Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

When did you sleep flat?

angelanicaangelanic Posts: 256
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,

Got a posterior lumbar fusion on Nov 3. Still feeling achy but almost off meds. I just can't get a comfortable night's rest laying flat in my temperpedic bed. I would think it would be comfortable at this point but if actually feels better to lay in the recliner.

Any thoughts? How long did it take you to lay flat? When does back achiness go away?

• Geez, thinking back, I think it was quite a while before I was able to lay flat. I used a wedge pillow for quite a while in bed after a few nights in the recliner.

You're still really early out from fusion, so it might be a while before the achiness goes away. Can you tell now whether the back pain is from surgery or not? Not sure if that made sense, but I remember realizing one day that the pain I was feeling was from the surgery, not from my back per se.

Take care and try to be patient. And maybe invest in a wedge pillow and slowly lower yourself down to a flat position over the course of time.

• But I had a fusion L3-L5 Jan 09 and can still not sleep on my back. I have to sleep on my side with a pillow between my legs. Hopefully I'm an exception to the rule, so to speak!
  • Cyndi, I have been sleeping on my side with a pillow between my knees for years and think I always will. What I am finding right now is that I have trouble turning in bed, very achy laying on my side flat for a long time..actually same in the recliner but for some reason it feels a bit more manageable...Cathy I appreciate your comments..I have to remind myself it has only been 4 weeks. I was talking to a friend today about how I feel like I should be doing something but don't really feel great about it until I see the doctor at my six week appt. And she reminded me THEN JUST REST! I need to slow it down..fusion is a long process.

• Fusion is a long process! Take your time, you seem to be doing so well already. Rest and follow Drs orders. You are very early in your healing. Take it easy and you might find that you need to lay propped up for a long time. You need to give your fusion time to heal. You are doing great, almost off all you meds. You go girl!!!!
  • Hi Angela,

Have you tried using a pillow under your knees and either a wedge or several regular pillows under your back? I found that combined with my 3" memory foam mattress topper did the trick. Once I started using this, it was like sleeping on a cloud.

Experiment a bit with various size pillows. The one under the knee is very important. Good luck!

• I'm 8 1/2 months post from a 2 level Tlif, l4/s1.
    And i still cant lay on my back, i get sharp pains.
    Sleep on my side, or in recliner i can be on my back but that only goes to maybe a 45 degree angle.
  • I had my l4 l5 fusion done Oct 21st and I have been sleeping in basement since however I slept in waterbed while we company for thanksgiving.and it was not bad I could lay on my back in water bed for awhile but I just cant do it very long which sucks I have always
    slept on my back so now I moved back down stairs so she can rest because I am up and down all night still
    do not sleep more than a couple hours ...so I am looking forward to the day when I can sleep on my back again .however after reading these post it looks like it is going to be awhile .Hang in there Ang .we will get there
  • With my anterior fusion, I found I only slept on my back, probably over a year before I even turned on my side. With my more recent posterior procedure, I was actually sleeping prone (on my stomach), and at home have been alternating between side sleep with a pillow between my knees, or by placing a small down pillow (if your not allergic) right under the lumbar area.
  • Hey there, I haven't had a fusion but I do have a temperpedic. Pillow are your friend. With my microdiscectomies, I have a good pillow for under my knees that is great and another for behind myback when I sleep on my side. I am thought about a wedge pillow (temperpedic like) since it would be sturdier.

• 8 years post op and i can't sleep flat. Left side goes numb if I lay on my back. still sleep in fetal position on left side. Only relief I get and am able to sleep with just tylenol pm.
    4 level posterolateral fusion L2-S1 with rods and screws and cadaver bone. Spondylolisthesis, spinal stenosis, scoliosis, sciatica, DDD, facet disease and arthritis. September 2002