Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Went to the dr.

ezraeezra Posts: 72
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Chronic Pain
I went to see both doctors within the past week. Both said I can't help you. My pm said we will see what the surgeon says when I asked him what's next. The surgeon said surgery will not help my back pain and that injections obviously won't help since we've been trying with no luck. So he has ordered pt for me. He says pt and meds are what can make me feel better. I've been on meds for a year that's obviously not helping. I'm willing to try pt again but I'm mostly just really upset that I was told by both of them they can't help me. I will most likely go for a second opinion after I go another round in pt.

I guess the good thing is that he ordered the MRI for the new pain. So hopefully I'll figure that out soon because that pain is worse than my lumbar pain most of the time. I don't know the whole thing just has me feeling like I'm never going to feel better. I don't know how much longer I can deal with this and keep my sanity. I just figured I would update but I do have a question. Can surgery help back pain because he's not just telling me it won't help me but it won't help back pain period. I know you all aren't doctors I'm just asking if it helped your back pain.

• Ezra, I'm so sorry about your bad news. I hope that the pt will help you a little. Even if for just a little while after each session, that's a little while of less pain, right? I know, it really sucks when we can't get longlasting relief. I also hope that your pm is looking for other things to help you with relief as well. Maybe you need to try different meds?
    As for your question, I don't know about back, but with my cervical surgery, it didn't take away all the pain, but took away the worst of it. I had a herniated and a protruding disc, and bone spurs that were all pressing into the nerves, so they fixed all of that, but my one disc is almost collapsed and still have stenosis on the other side. But, it's nowhere close to being as bad as what it was prior, I couldn't even sit up without the excruciating, searing pain that ran from my neck all the way down into my hand. So I'm happy with less pain. Well, not really, but you know what I mean. I hope that they find something to relieve yours, and soon!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • It is hard, and it is frustrating.
    All you can do is continue to research your spinal issues, and work with your docs to see if there are any possible solutions to ease your pain.
    There are a lot of us out there, in your same boat (sometimes the boat is really crowded) Take things one day at a time, and don't give up! >:D<
  • Ezra, at least you are not alone in the boat!

I was told by one doctor that if I had surgery, it would only deal with my leg pain and not help my back pain. It was the leg pain that was the worst, so I felt happy with that.

My surgeon told me that he thought I might also get some relief from the back pain.

Both my leg and back pain are so much better since my surgery. I would definately do it again if I had to decide. :-)

I think that surgeons have so much experience of what their patients feel and how they do after surgery, that they are probably the best person to have a good idea of what the outcome for a particular surgery would be. (I know they don't feel our pain, but they do hear about it! :''( )

If your surgeon is telling you that surgery won't help your pain, he is probably right. It is always worth getting another opinion though, in case a different surgeon has another idea of what he could do to help.
  • Depressing news stinks...
  • Like the others, sorry you're hurting without a clear way to relieve or resolve your pain. When my surgeon discussed my lumbar for future surgery, the first thing out of the box from him is "There is no guarantee that your back pain will be relieved. This should address most of your pain down the legs."

He added that *most* of his patients "do" see a marked improvement. Most surgeon's will not operate purely for neck or back only pain. Once that neck or back causes issues beyond to the shoulders, arms, hips, legs etc., then if it's surgical, the surgeon comes into play. I hope you find out with this new MRI what is going on.

As to others having "worse" issues, but not symptomatic? Everyone is different. Two people of similar height and age can have identical MRI's, one will be pain and symptom free, the other might be in horrible pain, or having function issues! Try not to judge on that, just judge on what YOU are going through. Support *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Hello Ezra....I am with the others in that I am very sorry for the bad news....but maybe its not bad news just differant from what you "hoped" it would be! :)

I am one of those "failed back surgery" people. I feel like I was lied to....my surgeon told me that I would be ski'ing in the mountains the year after my surgery!! Well needless to say that over 2 and a half years later I still hurt just as bad if not worse that before surgery!!

So please oh please dont look at this as a disappointment....look at it like..."well maybe some other treatment will help this time...."

I DO wish you a pain-free life, as I do for everyone!!

Please keep us updated!!
This discussion has been closed.