Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Two for One Newbies

itsbillsbackiitsbillsback Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi, I am new as all of you and the my husband and I both are suffering (but he is much worse) for now I need help for him. Hopefully I find it here. Thanks for your welcome. He has had a 3 level lumbar fusion in 2007 and now the spinal canal is closing and he needs a second fusion surgery. His neurologist says second ones are rarely sucessful and to add to that the area we live the doctors don't want to give pain meds. The most they will give him in vicodin 5/500 once a day which doesn't help much. I don't really know where to turn for help.

• Sorry to hear about you and your husband's pain and he needs surgery. I hope that will help him and hope he gets some pain relief soon. We're here to support you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Welcome to Spine Health!!! Sorry your hubby is in such a state. "Closing of the spinal canal", are you referring to Stenosis (narrowing)? Is he going to have surgery soon? Fingers crossed it works out for him. Support *HUGZ* to you both!

Again, welcome aboard!!! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thanks for the welcomes. No surgery for now, hubby is trying to deal with the pain as long as he can. His neurologist said when he is dragging his leg, then they will do surgery. Yes, it is stenosis - the MRI shows it almost closed above his last fusion. Right now he is in PT trying to strength muscles to help support his back but it is of little help. Tomorrow I will explore the SH site more and see if I can find more information.
  • Hello and Welcome itsbillsback!!

I will pray that the PT works and that neither of you need further or any surgery!!!

Keep us updated and again, Welcome!!
  • Hopefully the PT will help. Unfortunately Stenosis most times doesn't heal itself.

I have to ask. What is that you are holding in your Avatar? I'm guessing some really, really small breed of dog? Too cute!! :)

• Thank you all! My avatar is a baby porcupine, just shows that all things are cute when they are a baby!

I'm going over to the surgery forum today to see what outcomes people have had with 2nd or more fusions, I think right now that is what is holding us back (the neurologist saying future surgeries are seldom successful). The first one gave relief for a year, but DH doesn't want a fused spine in order to be pain free.
  • Porcupine? How even more cute! Never saw a baby one before. :)

As for second surgeries and such. I guess he will have to weigh in on whether with the stenosis, permanent damage may eventually occur. If it looks like he can handle the pain and function levels he is at now, and chances of causing damage are low, then holding out might work well.

As he already knows, surgery short of emergent is a very personal decision. I'll keep you and your hubby in my thoughts and prayers all works out well. *HUGZ*

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. the best of luck to you both in your decision making!! i hope only the best for you both! stop by anytime.. make yourself at home and have a good look around! we are here not only for your husband but for you as well. you are both lucky to have each other!! Jenny :)