Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

TLIF surgery finally scheduled!! And have a few questions before hand...

wildfire_101wwildfire_101 Posts: 68
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I finally got my date for my surgery..though they told me last week it would be on either the 3rd or 8th of this month but unfortunately when they called me yesterday to let me know they finally got it scheduled, it is now on the 22nd of this month.. I was not very happy about that.. I have 4 kids and a husband and wanted to spend the holidays with them.. But now instead i will probably be in the hospital through Christmas..The only reason i decided to say ok to that was b/c my deductable is paid for the rest of the year so i have no co pays or out of pocket expenses until January 1st.. so this up coming surgery is totally paid for.. I couldnt turn that down.. I have so many medical bills as it is already, especially with the RSD issues i have and the special doctors i have to see for that..But i think we are going to celebrate Christmas on the 19th.. well my children will open presents that they got from grand parent and their aunts on that day and then they have to wait to open their santa stuff on the 26th.. Hoping i will be able to go home by then..I am going to cross my fingers.. I am actually going to talk to my doctor before i have the surgery to see if i do fairly well if he will send me home from the hospital early..but i doubt that'll happen...lol Another reason i decided to take it was b/c i am tired of being in pain and not sleeping through the night.. In face i can't even remember the last time i actually slept straight through the night.. Though i do have a question, it's kind of a "girl" question..Chances are i will probably be on my time of the month unfortunately at the time of surgery does that affect anything? And to boot it will have just started around that time.. and i normally have pretty bad periods so is this something that i have to let the doctor know? I am still trying to figure out how i am going to be able to deal with that right after i just had a major surgery, when i am pretty much immobile for at least the first week or so.. and that is when it will be here.. and mother nature is never kind to me so it hold off for at least a week or 2.. so if anyone can give me some answers to those questions or have/had this problem as well and tell me how they handled it i would so appreciate it!

• I have had 2 back surgeries and abdominal surgery and all 3 times my period was delayed. Relax and don't worry about it. I had mine about 2 weeks after surgery and it was easy to manage. If you have it during surgery they will put pads under you...they deal with it all the time...talk to the nurse.

Good luck with your surgery.

• I'm glad you got a date for your surgery this year. I totally understand the deductible thing.

I was released from the hospital two days after my TLIF and my nurse was in on the "conspiracy" to get me home early. My doc said that if my drainage was below 50mg (or whatever) I could go home. My nurse looked at my drainage at the appointed time and said, "Well look at that, it's at 49". :-) And it wasn't even so I could be home for Christmas. So, just know that if you're doing well, it's possible to get home a couple days after surgery.

Do you have everything ready for your home "station" and other stuff like toilet seat riser, grabber tools, etc?

Take care.
  • I was out after two days with my TLIF.

• For anybody out there that has had or is planning to have the above surgery. After many years of pain down my right leg and lumbar region, I was diagnosed with spondylolisthesis. I was operated in May 2008 (minimal invasion surgery). The recovery and rehabilitation period was almost 18 months. I am told that the operation was a success, in as much that the danger of the nerve or nerves being severed or damaged has been removed. However the pain in the lumber region and down my right leg, although greatly diminished, still persists. It looks as if I have to live with that for the rest of my life. I have found some relief by attending aromatotherapy sessions. I hope this helps somebody.
  • Well I can relate on the "female" issue. The exact thing happened to me. I was on mine at the time of my surgery. I normally use tampons but used pads. I gotta tell you it was not the best time for it, but I got through it. The hard part for me was just moving the first 2 days. Once I got up out of bed more I was able to manage changed the pads.
    Good luck