Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

LasVegasLLasVegas Posts: 95
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Pain Medications
Anybody prescribed Ambien for sleep?

The Oxycodone (Percocet) I take for pain absolutely wires me and I can not sleep for day or two and then I crash hard for 12 hours and am still groggy. So I was prescribed Ambien to help with sleep.

The pharmacist recommended starting with a half tablet and see how that works prior to taking a whole pill.

Read some INTERESTING stories about this drug.

Anybody with input?

• I am sure things could get interesting with Ambien! But the truth is, it's the most widely prescribed prescription sleep aid, so of course some people are going to go a little crazy with it.

Just don't go anywhere after you take it, or do anything. Get in bed, take your pill, go to sleep.

You will read the possible scary side effects right on the package insert. Personally, I've never had an issue sleepwalking or sleep driving ;)

If your car looks like someone took it out for a spin while you thought you were sleeping, ask for a different med. :D

Ambien is a sedative/hypnotic. Think "twilight sleep." Of course Ambien isn't nearly that strong, but what you may find is that whatever you do after you take it seems fuzzy the next morning or difficult to recall if it takes you a little while to get to sleep. I haven't ever done anything out of character, however.
  • Sleep walking was the most common story I read, with fun activities such as cooking, driving, streaking thru the neighborhood, etc, lol, funny but scary.

I feel hesitant, but will try a half tablet and warn my girlfriend if I get out of bed to redirect me back to bed.
  • Millions of people use Ambien. It doesn't have that effect on most of us :)

Hopefully what you will find is that it puts you right to sleep. For me it was once my one guarantee of a good night's sleep.
  • Do you feel groggy in the morning after taking Ambien the night before? Alot of sleep aids are known for that and curious how it affects those who take it, the following morning
  • No, that is why I always loved it. I can't even take benadryl because it knocks me out, but Ambien just gave me a good night's sleep.

But it just doesn't work so well anymore. Sigh.
  • Ambien did make me sleep, but I can't take it as it gave me day long dull headaches. I have a very difficult time sleeping and find that 12mg of melatonin and 2 25mg of benedryl work...till about 3a.m. I also take tylenol pm. I wish I could take ambien....it's a great sleepaid.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    Taken with some of my other medications it plays some nasty tricks on me.
    Whats worse, if I had that one glass of wine during dinner.

I make sure I take ambien and get to bed. But there have been several times, I've gotten up in the middle of the night, turned the stove on, put all sorts of junk in (for example: Grapenuts, Shrimp, uncooked pasta and just cooked it, but went to bed with the stove on. Couple of hours later, the smoke alarm goes off, my wife jumps up to the mess in the kitchen.
    I had no idea what happened, didnt remember a thing.

And that has happened 2 or 3 times..

Hence, I have sworn of Ambien alltogether
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Dilauro, that is scary!!!

Have not taken it yet and purchased Ambien over a week ago.

Guess i'm leary of the possible consequences. Might try it this weekend when I do not have to work/concern of potentially oversleep the next morning.

Also, I will have my girlfriend in the house aware that I took it.
  • If you got the 10mg Ambien, I would suggest starting with half of a dose. In many cases 5 mg is plenty for good rest. I have used it off and on for many years when sleep evades me for a number of reasons and I have never had any bad episodes from it. It does not always help me get a full night's rest if pain is present, but it definitely helps with falling asleep.
    Good luck!
  • I never cooked, but boy did I eat. I would wake up in the morning with candy wrappers next to the bed, open boxes in the kitchen.
    Ron mentioned the glass of wine....One night, after I took the Ambien, I was standing in the kitchen talking to my husband. I was eating nuts out of a can of mixed nuts.
    The next thing my husband knew, I had fallen over asleep, hit the table and chairs as I went down. He wrestled me into bed. When I woke up the next morning, I was sore all over. I did not remember a thing!
  • I do eat too if it takes me a while to get to sleep. That is one of the downsides.

• I took Ambien CR and it worked very well. As noted above. If you were given samples or a script for 10MG. Cut them in half and take 5MG. If you never used Ambien before 5MG is a good starting point.

It is definitely one of those meds that when they say do not consume alcohol with this product. They mean just that. Try it with absolutely no alcohol that night. About 30-60 minutes before bed take one.

I had excellent results with them. Still take one from time to time. Benadryl makes me groggy. Ambien I wake up fine. As long as you do get the 6-8 hours of sleep. You can't short this stuff and take it late and only get 4 hours sleep. You'll drag the next day.
  • For me i will never take again.When I was in the hospital they gave me a Percocet and as they were keeping me. It was so loud in the ER area so ER doc gave me an Ambien. I slept great. However i woke up soaking wet from when the IV kicked out of my vein. In the morning i was told I was going to the ICU as my BP was down to below 80/40. The nurses got me moving and some food, so i did not have to go...........but i will never take Ambien again for me. Everyone is different.
  • Great post! I love hearing about this and can't wait to find out more.

Post edited, Solicitation at Spine-Health is not permitted

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Administrator 01/07/11
  • My husband was prescribed ambien when he was diagnosed with luekemia in October of 2010. He of course was stressed out and couldn't sleep. He was trying to just take one every other night but soon he was taking it every night because he just could not get to sleep without it.

He is a Pilot so he did not want to become dependent on it to sleep. Last night was the first night he totally went without it and he had a pretty rough night not being able to sleep. He was up and down going to the hot tub all night which used to be his sleep aide. Other than that, it worked great. No side effects at all.
  • I generally have no problems with it. My back has gotten so bad that almost nothing helps except a decent night's sleep. The only procedure that I've gotten much relief from is radio frequency ablation.

Side effects ..... yes, one that I experienced. Without being explicit, suffice it to say that on a couple of occasions I woke up in the morning and my husband had a big smile on his face. Apparently, I became amorous and had no memory of it!

And that's my only complaint. That I DIDN'T remember it! Otherwise it has been a blessing for me.
  • That would put a smile on my husband's face for sure!
  • I've taken Ambien several times since I last posted. Everybody seems to recommend starting with a 1/2 tablet and seeing how that works, before taking a full pill.

I tried the 1/2 tablet and did nothing for me. I took the other 1/2 and it relaxed me but did not act as the sleeping aid I was expecting.

Personally, and everybody is unique, I take 1 & 1/2 tablets prior to bed and I get a great night sleep; feeling refreshed without any groggy side effects the next morning.

"To each his own"
  • I felt like my head was in a vice. Granted I slept like a baby...with no other side affects. The headaches were enough to make me stop taking the Ambien. I have horrible insomnia. I take 4 melatonin and 2 PM tablets. This works for me!