Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

GP Appt. today - Interesting journey with Darvocet / status!

Aviatrix36440Aviatrix36440 Posts: 5,904
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Pain Medications
Okay, so I have my follow up today for my blood work (full), thyroid and hormones. Included my general health exam. Good and a bad day? My pain that I hide so well - NOT is causing my blood pressure to increase, so my Beta blocker was doubled! Cholesterol only 2 points different, but the Triglycerides are through the roof all of a sudden - put on Cholesterol medication. My Darvocet was changed to Percocet 5/325 (pharmacy changed it to Oxycodone 5/325) <--- Is that generic Percocet? As I figured, thyroid and hormones are right at the bottom of the "in range" numbers. Will monitor if they keep going down?!? The hormones I expected (started that change don't cha know!), but a low (in range) thyroid. Hummm... Interesting day! :)

Okay, the title. My doctor has no problem with me finishing the Darvocet I have, as I've been on it for a year with zero problems with it. The pharmacist also agrees. Now we all know that the FDA "pulled" it from the market due to some people having irregular or increased heart rates. Here is where it gets interesting (per the pharmacist at Walgreen's), not all pharmacies have pulled it. Walgreen's has by the way. Some CVS pharmacies are still carrying it, and too many "smaller" pharmacies are still carrying it! Don't know about Wally World!

My "mental" this is odd question. *IF* the FDA pulled it, which they did. How is it ethical or legal for pharmacies to STILL fill patient prescriptions for it? It was just weird to hear that. Thoughts?

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.

• I think its a matter of terminology. If they pull it that means no more distribution and even that may have a grace period to allow use of what has been produced. If they recall it them everything has to go back and can't be dispensed.

I always wonder how they decide when it is bad enough. Who makes the decision on how many people die before they act? Imagine the stress in that job..
  • Kris-NY said:
    I think its a matter of terminology. If they pull it that means no more distribution and even that may have a grace period to allow use of what has been produced. If they recall it them everything has to go back and can't be dispensed.

I always wonder how they decide when it is bad enough. Who makes the decision on how many people die before they act? Imagine the stress in that job..
    I think that is sort of what my Pharmacist was alluding to. She also told me that the company hasn't stopped producing it! I'm guessing it's because some countries will still use it. She thought it was odd as this medicine has been around for almost 40 years! She also said that the general rumor was that the FDA really looked at it in the last couple of years due to the UK and a few other countries banning it.

I think you're right though too in that they "pulled it" vs "recalled" it. Good catch on wording! I didn't even catch that! They did "pull it." Hummm... It's akin to when Oxycodone was pulled and the product was reformulated so the kiddies couldn't make fancy drugs out of it! Still named Oxycodone, but new binders.

Here's a new change down here (maybe nation wide?) It use to be my doctor would prescribe me 3 refills for opiates or narcotics, now she told me she can only do 1 month (30 days really) at a time, and now you have to physically come in to be prescribed. I have no problem with that, as she is close. :)

Oh, on a side note Kris, my favorite Neurologist got rid of that jerk of a partner!!! Yeah, I get my favorite Neurologist back! Whooohooo! 8>

• Yeah, Oxycodone is generic Percocet. It is also a schedule-2 and can't have refills on it, which is why your Dr is having you come in for your next script.. but she could have given you another Rx if she had written 'cannot be filled until January 1st', or whatever the proper date would be for your next Rx.
  • Thanks Robin,

Didn't think about asking her to do that. I will next month. Great idea! Her nurse (who was a doctor in Cuba) asked if I was interested in getting with a pain management doctor. Since I am still were I feel my pain is addressed, I'd rather keep all scripts with my GP. Since more surgery is likely, I'd rather wait until all that mess is done. (8)

Thanks again for the tip Robin. :)

• Some doctors and some states do not allow multiple scripts. It's allowed federally.

Good luck with the new meds! Sorry about the increased Toprol :(

• My NS use to do multiples. Since they've built a new hospital (the old hospital relocated is the better term), they also built a professional building next to it. What is cool is now my cardiologist, dermatologist, ENT, Neurologist and GP are all there - one stop shopping! (G) I can now set up 2 or 3 different appointments, saving time.

Thanks HB. I switched to Atenolol about about a month ago - solved the umm.. #2 issues if you know what I mean! Almost 3 years with Toprol, and then that problem, on this, I feel even better, and umm 'normal' down there now. (G) Calling my Neurologists office tomorrow as he was closed by the time I was able to go to his office. Grrr... This guy has been spot on with me so far!

Cholesterol meds...Hopefully there will be no side affects. I pick that prescription on Friday. They only had 5 Imitrex tablets today, so she will have them on Friday - figured I lived this long without Cholesterol medication, 2 days won't make a difference. Whew, what a day...starting to feel like a pharmacy ...yuck! Sniff...

• Brenda,

Sounds like everything you had hoped to cover with your GP was accomplished :) that's good, mission accomplished.

You say the good Neuro is back for you that's good news. Is he the one that will order your MRI CT scans? Any date set for those? Hope you don't have to wait long on those getting accomplished.

My MRI CT scans done on 11/22 and 11/23 I have on disc with copies of special scans for the neuro I saw on 11/23. Hope to have the written radiology evaluations reports real soon - faxing request tomorrow. Want to see results before heading back down to see NS.

Are you good with the oxycodone for your pain? Has that given you relief - - hope it does for you.

• The pain issues sure can get your BP higher and good you are watching it.

My Primary Dr. noted this past week my BP is higher but just noting it for now and I'm checking every couple of days at home - - we'll see where it is in a couple of weeks as I phase out of this latest neuropathy episode.

Hope the cholesteral meds are tolerable the side effects were tough for me on two different ones, eliminated taking anything. Just too much with neuropathy pain being chronic past 9 months.

Wish you well with it, everyone is different with those meds and side effects :).

See further in your posting you will be in touch with your Neuro (per my initial ?) that's great - - your getting every step covered woman! Good for you, much accomplished today :) !

• I find out next week if I'll have to start cholesterol meds as well. Bleh.

Maybe the new med was the reason you needed your dosage adjusted? Just an idea :)
  • Howdy Janelle,

Yeppers, my GP is really good in that she listens. Today was a "short" appointment. 45 minutes! She manages her time very well, and the patient is never (at least I feel this) made to feel rushed!! :)

I am still a bit miffed that she didn't comment on the thyroid and the hormones. Oops, actually (I have her notes), she did state I didn't seem enthusiastic about hormone replacement therapy (which I'm not). (G) The thyroid was almost at the very bottom of the 'range.' There's a part of me that wishes she gave me something to get that sucker a bit more active, but then again, another pill to take, yuck! (G) Now I know at least why it is such a bugger to drop weight! :)

My other concern was liver and kidney functions - all dead center in the 'ranges' they set. Yep, liked that part for sure. Whew! She fussed again at me about my high white blood cell count. I have some American Indian in me (Apache), and it is normal for me to be a touch (.8%) high - it has always been between 10.0 and 11.5 since I could remember. The scale is 3.8-10.8, and I was 11.6% and my one just before my surgery was 10.8 hummmm...

Now that the jerk partner is gone (the title for his office - just HIS is on it, no jerk!) I will call tomorrow for an appointment. Normally I can get in there fairly fast. The x-rays I can go 1/16th of a mile to the hospital as a walk in, and get them done right off. MRI - Because of contrast, (they have to have the nurse on duty), my stand up sometimes I can get in only a couple of days, but they have had back ups to 3 weeks. Hopefully I will know more of dates tomorrow. :) Sadly, I kind of know what I'm gonna see on the neck, and think I know for the lumbar (arch back, L3 moves forward - I can feel it!).

I should know tomorrow on the Oxycodone. Percocet and I get along great, so I am going to hope I have similar with this generic. I normally don't get along with generics, so I am a tiny bit of a skeptic, but we'll see. If it doesn't work, I'll just have the pharmacy switch it - the script was written for Percocet, so I won't need a new prescription to switch if I don't get along with it. Fingers crossed. :)

Let me know how your report comes out. Fingers crossed for you as well Janelle. *HUGZ*

• Howdy Janelle,

I didn't know my pressure was up enough to be of concern until she mentioned it. She then looked up on the computer what amount of Beta blocker I was on, and then doubled it. The last time it was doubled was like 2 years ago. My heart rate was low, so I didn't understand - how can your BP be up if the heart rate is good? Oh well, hopefully problem solved. Me and my Beta get along well. :)

My Cholesterol has always been 220-225ish. They never gave me drugs for it since my good cholesterol was always near 100! Balanced the ratio to like 2.2. Well the points today were about the same, but for some reason the Triglycerides were through the dang roof! I don't get that - but that is why now the cholesterol meds. It was funny I get to my pharmacy, and notice no cholesterol prescriptions, so I called my GP's office, and his nurse goes "Nope, she didn't prescribe any." I then told him of our discussion, and could he please get with her to be sure it wasn't an over site vs she changed her mind. He called me back around 5:30 and told me she did forget, and the script was called in for me. I'll pick it up Friday. :) How good it that on doctors office response?

I had my doctor "vacation", now back to "work" right? I just hate that pretty much all the NS's are in the Miami area - kills me to drive up there! Oh well...baby steps. This Neurologist is very good, and too patient, so happy he got rid of the jerk! He's not big on "surgery", so when he sends you, it is pretty sure surgery is on the plate when you consult with the NS. I'm very comfortable with the Neurologist. :)

• First off Ms. HB, fingers crossed you don't get another yummy (NOT) pill added to your plate!

Naw, the Triglycerides were (wow) 400! The max listed was no higher than 150! Oddly, before this blood test, I've always stayed between 50-79. I have no clue what caused that puppy to spike not only like that, but soooo high! Sniff.. I am guessing here.. she will probably have me get another blood panel when I see her in a month to renew my Oxy to see if I've dropped back to normal or what. I've never been on meds for it, so not sure how the follow ups work yet for that. :)

I don't understand enough of exactly *what* cholesterol affects (I know heart is one). Maybe the higher levels is what caused my BP to rise along with constant pain? So far doubled dose feels fine, actually a wee better than I felt on my now 'prior' dose.

• I have been on both ends of Oxycodone 5/325 which is generic Percocet depending on what the insurance co felt like paying for that month and have not noticed any difference - hope it helps you as it has me :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Thanks MsHumpty! I know me and Percocet gets along. I've heard others like you state they didn't feel much if any of a difference with the generic. I am hoping for the same. I know generic Darvocet (Propoxyphene) and me didn't always get along, and too it didn't seem as effective as 'the' Darvocet.

Speaking of Darvocet, it's nice to know I am clear to finish those pills since I've had no negative effects from it. My GP knows my pain fluctuates, so she did say I don't have to take it on a regular schedule, I can take it 'as needed' which makes me happy. Not big on narcotics and opiates. Hubby gets mad cuz he says "I suck it up" too much! Sigh.. Nope, not afraid of addiction or the withdrawal, just hate that fuzzy, dizzy, blah feeling. :)

For me Lyrica takes care of the majority of my pain as it is more so nerve pain. The mechanical pain has been increasing both in the back and the neck. Nice to know I have break through meds for them. I have enough junk now I have to take daily, so nice these puppies can be used 'as needed' vs having to build them up in my system. :) Thanks much MsHumpty! *HUGZ*

• I agree with Kris!
    No more distribution, but giving the chain stores the chance to clear the shelves.
    As long as it's not a definite life/death thing, i would guess it's probably s.o.p.
  • Cholesterol results in deposits in your veins, arteries, and internal organs. It is what leads eventually to arteries becoming clogged and needing angioplasty or bypass operations.

Mine is 260 total although my ratios are good. But since it's so high and I also have high blood pressure, the doctor says it's an issue.

I also had cholesterol deposits in my gall bladder :(

I will have to see if it has come down since I have made so many diet changes. If it hasn't, I'll need to go on a med :( Blechy blech blech.
  • Nodding. I didn't catch the wording of "Pulled" vs "Recalled", must be a Lyrica moment as I usually catch that sort of thing. (G) In a strange way, its contradictory though, right? "Said drug" is dangerous enough to pull, but *not* so dangerous that they can't prescribe what is left on the shelfs. Things that make you go hummmmmmm..... :) :?

• My total this test was 224, but the triglycerides were 400! Blew the ratio up! My test before this, 222, and the triglycerides were only 79! Still trying to figure that one out.

Nodding, I knew our not so good levels caused issues in our vascular systems, and some organs, but not to what extent. Body mechanics are amazing huh?

Hopefully you won't get put on them. So lets hope for no "Blech blech." Hehehehe...

• Oh Brenda...I can hear the happiness in your posts....I am so very very glad to hear the "happy" Brenda ;)

Just keep up on all of those meds and you will be great!!

♥ Ya Lady!!
  • I try to generally stay happy. Those times that the (as Ron calls it) "beast" takes hold, I try not to come on here much, as 'it' affects how I post. My big interest on this follow up was my kidney/liver functions, thyroid and hormone status/levels and of course the rest of the results for the 'general overall' me. :)

I might actually make an Excel spreadsheet that will track my results so I can see (and my doctors) at a glance what is and isn't changing. Yeah, if you've worked Excel, lots of work, but if I do the formulas right, could be pretty cool! Remember, retired people make their own job schedule! (G)

I hope you're doing better Ms. Polly. *HUGZ* to ya woman!! :)

• I started taking Metamucil every day to lower my cholesterol and hope my next blood works show the levels to go down or I have to start lipitor. I hope the percocets are effective for pain relief when you start them Brenda. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks Charry, :)

The medication she gave me for my Cholesterol issues (and from reading up on it - more so due to the high triglycerides) is Simvastatin 20mg once a day. From what I've learned, these are best taken at night, as your body better utilizes the medication to fight the nasty ole cholesterol issue! (G)

What's good with me an (so far) narcotics or opiates is I don't have to take them every day *if* I'm not hurting too bad. Percocet and I got along in the past. I think I have had it on 4 occasions for things - wisdoms removal, my Ulnar transposition, my first cervical surgery, and I think after my tumor was removed? I am hoping the Oxycodone is just as system friendly with me! I'm also happy that I can finish my Darvocet's off. This morning was nothing pressing, so waking up in ouch mode, I just rested and it chilled. I know if I had to do things, it would have been a Darvocet (or Oxy) day! Argh. :)